PDA

View Full Version : Runway Designators - The 4th Dimension!

Departures Beckham
10th Dec 2002, 02:32
I understand the use of numbers in the designation of runways, and I understand the concept of following the number with Left, Centre and Right. But if the proposed four parallel runways at Stansted were to go ahead how would they be identified?

Being parallel they would all begin either 05 or 23, but what will follow that? 05Left, 05CentreLeft, 05CentreRight and 05Right?

Scott Voigt
10th Dec 2002, 04:07
If they follow general custom, they will change the number of the runways. At DFW we have 18 L and 18 R on the west side and then we have 17 L 17 C and 17 R on the east side... They are all the same heading.

regards

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Dec 2002, 07:15
Jeez... I hope it's not that complicated or they'll be dragging me out of retirement to run it! :-)

Seriously, where are all the planes coming from? There aren't enough to fill two runways at Heathrow, let alone 4 at Stansted.

Hew Jampton
10th Dec 2002, 11:30
I think the 'general custom' mentioned above, and as used at CDG etc, is not the best solution. Why deliberately falsify the runway orientation when there is a standard and acceptable solution:
Left
Left Centre
Centre
Right Centre
Right.

Spitoon
10th Dec 2002, 19:07
Simple answer Hew, clipped transmissions and selective hearing.

Young Paul
10th Dec 2002, 21:40
I agree about changing numbers to give the designators - I think that's what they do in the US as well, isn't it? (doesn't Atlanta have two pairs of two parallel runways - i.e. 8 strips of concrete?)

LHR may not be at capacity on a good day, but it is substantially over on a bad day. The only way the operation works is through cancellations and very late finishes when it's Lovis for more than a couple of hours.

Point Seven
10th Dec 2002, 23:17
Young Paul

You are slightly mistaken when you say that Heathrow is overcapacity. When LVP's strike at any busy airport then operations are knocked back. And yes it causes late finishes but there has been a backlog caused not by overcapacity but by the weather.

If Heathrow went to mixed mode (God forbid) the runways could take between 5 and 15% more traffic. The reason Heathrow works at present is because of it's staff. Yes we're pissed off and yes we moan, but we're good at what we do and we make the little old place keep ticking over.:D

Young Paul
11th Dec 2002, 17:58
Not disagreeing with you except on matter of opinion. I would certainly agree that LHR ATC works better than anywhere else busy in Europe that I have operated to - specifically CDG, AMS, FRA, MAD, ATH, BRU - just about all of whom have more concrete to play with, and less congested neighbouring airspace. Not been to busy places elsewhere in the world to judge.

However, the traffic levels are so critical that even a 35 kt wind at circuit level can cause significant holding (due to reduction in circuit capacity). Or abnormal North Atlantic winds. Let alone fog or snow or heavy VCSH. When an airfield relies on circumstances being good for things not to snarl up, it is certainly at the limit of its capacity.

And "less than 20 minutes holding" is considered not significant? That's a lot of aeroplanes going round in circles - especially when they are landing 75 seconds apart.