PDA

View Full Version : CAA ATPL EXAMS VALIDITY

nickos37
4th Oct 2001, 18:38
I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THE ATPL LICENSE ISSUE.I COMPLETED MY CAA ATPL EXAMS ON SEPTEMBER 1999 AND I AM CURRENTLY IN THE USA LOOKING TO BUILD HOURS.I UNDERSTAND THAT THE DEADLINE FOR INITIAL LICENSE ISSUE FROM CAA IS 31 JUNE 2002.WHAT WOULD BE THE REQUIREMENTS THAT I NEED TO HAVE ACCOMPLISHED BY THAT DATE IN ORDER TO GET A FROZEN ATPL?WILL THE EXAMS BE VALID UNTIL IT GETS UNFROZEN?IS THIS GOING TO BE A CAA ATPL OR A JAA ATPL?
THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION
:eek:

Manflex55
4th Oct 2001, 18:56
Well according to CAA GID No. 8, if U have achieved @ least a partial pass in an ATPL group of examinations BEFORE 1 July 1999, U are "deemed to have commenced training for the UK CPL (A)". Therefore, U can still train under the "old system", without having to meet JAR-FCL 1 entry criteria or minimum training requirements.

If U have a US CPL, whatever your TT, U only need to complete "sufficient training to pass a 170A", which could mean substantial savings ! However, U now need to undertake the full JAR-FCL IR course, whether U have a foreign IR or not. Expect to pay @ least £14k for the whole lot.

U can apply for a UK CPL until June 2002, but also for a JAR-FCL CPL (A) (R) until the expiration date of your exams (september 2002).

MF

pondlife
5th Oct 2001, 13:34
According to CAP54, which is, I believe, still valid for UK licenses, your ATPL exams are valid indefinitely for your ATPL (assuming you have a CPL issued).
However, since the authority won't issue a UK licence after June 2002, it's not clear to me what would happen after that to UK CAA exams.
It seems to me that, again according to the CAP54, they will still be valid indefinitely for, for example, the addition of an IR to a UK CPL, but that you would have then to get onto the JAR scheme for the ATPL issue - for which the ATPL exam validity times are different.
For JAR, the exams remain valid for 3 years (I think) or for 7 years after the last validity of an IR.
So..., my interpretation so far as that you need to have a UK CPL before June 2002, you can add an IR to that at any time, and can then convert onto the JAR scheme and be able to get the JAR ATPL issued up to 7 years after you let the IR lapse.
I'm hoping my interpretation is correct, but I haven't had it confirmed. When I rang the CAA to confirm it, the woman I spoke to didn't seem able to say anything beyond the JAR rules and that CAP54 is becoming defunct. She seemed totally confused by any interraction between CAP54 and JAR rules.

Has anyone else tried to confirm this?

nickos37
9th Oct 2001, 23:30
Thank you guys for your response.I still have a doubt about this because i remember when i called sb from CAA long time ago he told me that i had to do both Commercial Skill Test and Instrument Rating and apply before 30 June 2002 but he didn't make it clear how long the ATPL exams will be valid after that date or if I could just get a Commercial license issued without Instrument Rating and later on add the Instrument Rating on the license.
I think I should start calling flight crew licensing from tomorrow,if I'm lucky I might be able to talk to someone before the deadline! :p

james lully
11th Oct 2001, 07:47
Very simple but hard to do:

1. 700 hours total time
2. pass the IR flying test

Any Frozen CAA CPL must be un-frozen by June 31, 2002. After that date, CAA will cease to issue any CAA lisence.

Manflex55
11th Oct 2001, 11:59
There's no such thing as "frozen CAA CPL" mate. June 2002 is the deadline for an INITIAL issue of a UK licence. After that date, U can still RENEW your UK CPL or ATPL as long as you want without having anything to do with JAR. Of course U can also switch to JAR if U prefer.

If your frozen UK ATPL is still frozen by June 2002, U won't B able to get a UK ATPL BUT U keep your theoretical exams credits & the CAA will issue a JAR ATPL when U meet the requirements (in short, valid IR & 1500TT inc 500 MC).

MF

nickos37
12th Oct 2001, 00:51
I think I got the idea.I need 700 hrs,JAA Commercial skill test passed and JAA Instrument rating passed before 30 June 2002 and this will give me a CAA CPL/IR with frozen ATPL,after that date I have unlimited time to complete the requirements(1500 HRS,500 MULTI-PILOT) and be issued with a JAA ATPL.
Any suggestions of where to do the Instrument rating?Anybody interested to share a 100 hrs block time in the US?
Thank you for your help :o

james lully
14th Oct 2001, 08:56
You got it perfect. I am in the same boat. Currently I am building about 300 hrs between school and work in FL. Let's talk. email me at [email protected]

Captain Spud
15th Oct 2001, 01:00
I have passed the CAA ATPL exams but currently have only a PPL with no ratings.

I can obtain a CAA CPL by June 2002 at relativly little cost (unapproved course) but at the moment havent the money or inclination to do the Twin IR. With out an IR will the validity period of my ATPL exam passes be affected. E.G could I take the IR say a year or two after the grant of the CPL?

Someone has mentioned that once you have had the CPL issued the ATPL exam passes remain valid whist the licence is valid - I would like this to be true but is it?

C.S

nickos37
15th Oct 2001, 22:10
Captain Spud,I hope what you heard it's true but I would not be able to answer your question because everything seems to me very confusing,everytime I call CAA I get a different answer.I am also short of money and would like to do the IR later if it was possible.
Where are you thinking of doing the Commercial and IR,how much would it cost?
My e-mail is [email protected] if you're interested we can talk.
Good luck
Nickos

Luke SkyToddler
17th Oct 2001, 00:03
I've been hearing persistently nasty rumours that even if you hold a UK FATPL, if you don't keep your licence and your IR current after June next year the CAA will pull the lot and you'll have to re do the JAA ATPL theory exams.

Anyone care to comment?

nickos37
17th Oct 2001, 21:53
Skytoddler,I hope these rumours are not true ,only thing we can do is ask CAA Flight crew licensing if we ever get them on the phone.
Does anybody know if they made any publication concerning the requirements of a frozen ATPL before 30 June 2002(700 hrs,commercial skill test and Instrument Rating)?
Do they specify of these 700 hrs how many will be x-country,or night or multi or PIC?Does P1/s count? ;)

Manflex55
18th Oct 2001, 00:58
Once again..... your ATPL exams (& FATPL) remain valid for 7 years after the last IR renewal put on your licence. June 2002 only applies to those who want to apply for an INITIAL issue of a UK licence. I wonder how many times I'll have to repeat these things over & over, especially to long-time PPRuNers.

MF

Captain Spud
18th Oct 2001, 02:40
Alfa - Cap54 details the hours and what they comprise of. For "self improvers" the min is 700hrs for a CPL issue but if mum and dad paid for your Cap 509 course it seems around 250hrs will do.

Man flex - You state that the ATPL exams are valid for 7 years after your last IR.

Q 1 : What if you don't have an IR

Q 2 : Does even a PPL IR count

I don't think it's dumb to ask because the published CAA advice is as clear as mud and I may as well ask my cat for advice on CPL/IR issues as ring aviation house for it!

CS