PDA

View Full Version : Which Continent ?

VirginStudent
9th Dec 2002, 10:23
Hello

As you may have guessed from the Tag I kinda new to the flying game, although it would appear that my dilemma seam to be strangely similar to other thread here

I’m a 35 year old, soon to be made redundant Project manager for a Mobile Phone company in the UK ( no bad thing after six years I can tell you can’t wait ) I don’t have any desire to go back into that industry at all. Instead like a lot of people here I wish to follow my dream into flying

As part of my job, I used to fly ( as a passenger ) Filton to Teeside every week in a little 8 seat and loved it Although I would love to fly the big shinny ones one day, but, my aspiration are levelled at earning a living in the ‘less than 15 seat ones’ genre

So how to to this well with the help of this site and others on the internet, I’ve got a rough plan

1. Take a trial flight and grill the instructor for advice ( booked this for Friday with Cardiff Flying School )
2. Complete PPL exams here at home by Feb ( hope to do this at my local Flying school whom I have already approached )
3. Medical ( the most comprehensive one I’ll need, just to make sure I think it’s the one in Gatwick from what I reading )
4 Big decision USA or SA
4a USA Seams to be a lot of comment out there on the US schools Think I’ve narrowed it down to Anglo-American In CA Any previous student I love to hear from you.
4b SA my second choice only that it seam to have more condition associated with the licence although have heard good reports any comment please

The problem I’m having with this decision is a comment on the site some time ago relating to this sort of question, the comment was ‘ get your licence in the country your going to work’ and this is the problem

From what I reading betting a Job post CLP in the US is slim so I gather although pls comment on this one as I would prefer to live and work there

Jobs in Africa are more abundant so I’m to but are they?

Remember we are talking flying anything anywhere for beer and bed money for a year or two so am being realistic

5. whatever country I decide on PPL complete will stay there to hours build the CPL etc

6 Earn a living ( modest one ) with a smile or design a new plan involving IT again I Guess

Any advice and guidance greatly accepted Thanks in advance
:rolleyes: