PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue Uniforms

jupiter2
8th Dec 2002, 22:29
Do Virgin Blue have a maternity uniform available, as part of their corporate wardrobe for cabin crew, ground crew or pilots?

nojacketsrequired
8th Dec 2002, 23:46
I don't know but Virgin and maternity just don't seem to go together:D

smile
10th Dec 2002, 02:54
Yes. Virgin Blue does have a maternity uniform available for cabin crew. It is similar to our pinifor dress but with a lot more room up front!!!

t3953
10th Dec 2002, 12:31
Ummm, You mean they let their cabin crew fly when pregnant??? Is that allowed???

My old airline immediatly withdrew pregnant crew from flying duties and placed them in temporary positions elsewhere in the company until they were ready to return to the air. Pretty handy because the crew member usually got to choose the area's that had job positions!

Does anyone else think that airlines delibritally design maternity uniforms to look like tents just so their staff wont have babies eating into their travel benefits???

airborne1
11th Dec 2002, 23:13
Virgin Blue does have maternity uniforms for their staff. I cant believe how ignorant some people can be. We also have maternity leave and most cabin crew fly up to 32 - 36 weeks then do administration duties before taking maternity leave.

Quite a few of the girls are married and are already starting to have family's probably pretty much like any other airline.

flightbunny
12th Dec 2002, 00:32
to add something a friend of mine went for an interview at dj for ground staff and was told by the recruiters that she could not have the job because she has a young child... what's going on there... i don't think they have a right to decline someone a job because they have a child.

anyway have a nice day!!!
:) :D :cool:

skypryncess
12th Dec 2002, 01:40
Flightbunny, your friend was crazy to mention her baby in the first place. There is a very good reason why employers are not allowed to ask you about your personal life and your friend has found out the hard way. The airline will select the best employees for their own purposes. I don't know your friends situation but it is very difficult to find childcare at 5am when you sign on at 6.............

min
12th Dec 2002, 11:17
skypryncess, I think if you have another read of flightbunny's post, you will see they said their friend applied for GROUND staff, not flight attendant.

I think you'll find that working in any job with young children is difficult. The decision to work lies with the parents, not the airline. Any involvement by them along the lines you mention amounts to discrimination.

40 weeks is considered 'term' - I am surprised that cabin crew with DJ fly up to 36 weeks into the pregnancy.

M.

cabin secure
12th Dec 2002, 12:37
I think you'll find flying, whilst pregnant, as a passenger has the 36 week restriction.
Generally most airlines prefer cabin crew to take maternity leave from 28 weeks to 30 weeks.
This has more to do with complications of an early delivery on board the aircraft than the actual ability of a flight attendant to carry out her duties.
And for all the smarties who wish to pass comment on the size of pregnant women..... don't generalise!
Many women put on excessive amounts of weight during pregnancy, and many put on no more than 5 kilos, as I myself did.

airborne1
12th Dec 2002, 12:48
my apologies...the 36 weeks I posted earlier was a typo...they fly up to around 4 - 5 months - standard with most airlines.

As for your friend flight bunny - recruiters never tell candidates the reasons why they are unsuccessful so I dont understand what your friend is talking about there. Perhaps she was exceptional in being the first person I have ever heard of airline wise to be granted a reason.

Virgin has a strict policy that they will not tell you why you were unsuccessful. That is standard with most airlines if not all.

Maybe she felt that was the reason...anyways..sorry your friend wasnt successful...once again...some of the ground staff do have young children so I dont understand that comment.

Sorry...no harm intended - just getting a little peeved at all these ridiculous comments being made towards virgin blue.

Just to add..most ground staff sign on also around 5am.

airborne1
13th Dec 2002, 07:13
well stated bicsket chucker i couldnt agree more. Its about time australia did do something about paid maternity leave...we are the only country in the western world which doesnt grant this. No wonder so many australians are opting out of having children. Sad but true.

qfcabin
14th Dec 2002, 01:06
Flightbunny
If your friend believes she has anything to support her statement that her child prevented her being employed, she needs to see a discrimination lawyer. But some sort of evidence would probably be needed that they acually said that..good luck.

Wonderworld
15th Dec 2002, 06:24
The people who choose to have children should be responsible for paying for them, not the rest of us poor bloody taxpayers!!

airborne1
17th Dec 2002, 10:58
Not opening up this can of worms!!

Just agreeing with a fellow ppruners comments.

min
18th Dec 2002, 00:14
If people are opting out of having children on the back of not receiving somewhere between 4 weeks and 14 weeks paid maternity leave (which is what is being mooted in Oz), then something is very wrong. I seriously doubt that those amounts would make very much difference in the overall scheme of the cost of a child.

M.