PDA

View Full Version : The next big PPRuNe fly-in. DUXFORD SAT 05TH APRIL 03

BRL
8th Dec 2002, 13:37
Time to sort out the next fly-in. Had a chat about it last night with a few others and someone suggested DUXFORD Thinking of having it around Sat 12th April(My birthday, excuse for a fly-in). I am going to try and speak to the powers to be and try and come to some kind of deal with landing fee and entrance to the museum thrown in or something like that. Just a plan at the moment so if anyone knows who i should contact to sort it out please e-mail me. Of course this is only a suggestion. If you have an idea for another place feel free to put it down here and we can see where and when we go.

Genghis the Engineer
8th Dec 2002, 14:00
Jolly good idea, great please, nice restaurant, interesting things to see, and all the runway you can eat.

My only (slight criticism) is that the lads and lasses up North keep agitating for somthing further up. I was contemplating at some point suggesting Sandtoft as a possibility, having a soft spot for it's nice surroundings and good pies. But maybe (or somewhere else Northern) that should be as well and a bit later in the summer, not instead.

So, I'm very happy to vote for Duxford on April 12th if somebody can persuade the powers there to cut a deal.

G

Lowtimer
8th Dec 2002, 14:18
Duxford on April 12 suits me just fine, though if one of our more northerly and/or westerly correspondents were able to cut a deal on landing fees, a suitable equivalent would be the RAF Museum outstation at Cosford - again, lots to see, food available and miles of runway.

rustle
8th Dec 2002, 14:33
I've asked a few people the answer to your questions (landing fees/entrance fees etc.)

They'll either post here direct or they'll mail me and I'll post here.

:)

AerBabe
8th Dec 2002, 15:47
Oh no... that's the day I go on our first intenational tour with the band :(
Guess I'll have to miss this one. Shame, because I've always wanted to go to Duxford *sob*

Charlie Zulu
8th Dec 2002, 15:52
This happens to be two weeks before I go to Florida for my CPL/IR course and could be a good x-country practice...

...so count me in, I'll be bringing the Beagle Pup to Duxford. Its always a good day out there.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu

BRL
8th Dec 2002, 15:56
Aerbabe How about the weekend before then?

Dave Gittins
8th Dec 2002, 22:55
Sounds far enough away in time for me to actually plan to bring the Warrior out from Fairoaks for the day ........... I'll keep an eye out for the date.

Seems from a lengthy thread on the Flyer EMAIL thing that everything has changed at Duxford since I was last there - 5 years ago - so it's time I went again.

DGG

Keef
8th Dec 2002, 23:10
Duxford's excellent! Went to a fly-in there earlier in the year, and had a great time.

Thoroughly excellent day out for all!

Count me in! Just not if it's on a Sunday.

Who has control?
9th Dec 2002, 07:13
Sorry, can't make that weekend - how about the saturday before - Sat. 5th??? :) :)

Can I also point out that AEROFAIR 2003 is taking place at North Weald on the following weekend (16th-18th April), so it would mean that there would be two events very close to each other,
both in time and location. :(

BlueRobin
9th Dec 2002, 10:51
I'd just like to extend Russell's comments given last fly-in at Sywell, where no-one told the airfield until the last minute. Have a chat with Duxford now rather than later! And here I'd nominate our industrious forum mod Big Red 'L' :p

Rod1
9th Dec 2002, 10:57
If you want something similar up north how about Elvington. Very good museum and the food is excellent.

I hope to make it as my first Prune fly in.

Rod

knobbygb
9th Dec 2002, 12:16
I'd definatley vote for somthing further North - it'll be my first fly-in and I don't want to over do it.

I do realise that the majority are based further South so why not organise two? Perhaps Duxford in April, then somewhere like Elvington or Cosford in May? I'd have thought that between the two venues, most of us should be able to make at least one.

AerBabe
9th Dec 2002, 12:41
Yup, the weekend before is fine. In fact most weekends next year, and most week days would be fine... just not the 12th to 27th April :D

BRL
9th Dec 2002, 13:12
Ok then. Duxford, Saturday 05th April 03 it is then.

Good idea for having another one further north, how about someone else sorting that out on another thread?

I will get in touch with the people at Duxford as soon as i get a number to speak to someone official there about it.

BlueRobin
9th Dec 2002, 13:51
...which is in the AIP! :rolleyes:

Very well said and correctly pointed out. I am after, through this forum, someone who can help us out, a friend of a friend kind of thing and someone has already been helpful so far and contacted me by e-mail. P.E.

FlyingForFun
9th Dec 2002, 15:03
I'm terrible at planning that far ahead! 5th April sounds good to me, but you'll have to remind me nearer the time :)

FFF
-----------------

Whirlybird
9th Dec 2002, 17:16
I can't plan that far ahead, but it sounds good. Further north....how about Sherburn-in-Elmet; lovely place, good food, and I have a feeling they have a hard runway now.

knobbygb
10th Dec 2002, 08:30
I believe there was one planned for Sherburn a couple of years ago but the weather had other ideas. There is indeed a hard runway now, so there might be more chance of it going ahead. I'm notoriously bad at organising things like this. Anyone else fancy starting another thread and setting somthing up?

BRL
10th Dec 2002, 15:07
Good idea Knobby How about doing it for say May or June?

Also have had our good friend Rustle speak to someone and get some kind of deal going with them. He will post here shortly all the details. Many thanks Rustle. Much appreciated indeed. :)

rustle
10th Dec 2002, 15:36
Some details about the fly in:

Landing fees

SEP is normally £14.00** will discount to £10.00 if more than 15 aircraft *
MEP is normally £17.50** will discount to £12.50 if more than 15 aircraft *

* total aircraft count
** normal fee may go up in 2003, but discounted £10/£12.50 will still be honoured ;)

Entrance fees

Normal price £8.00 per adult
Discount if more than 20 (total) £6.00 per adult

Examples:

SEP two adults:
£10.00 Landing
£12.00 Entrance

£22.00 Total
or
£11.00 per head

SEP three adults:
£10.00 Landing
£18.00 Entrance

£28.00 Total
£9.33 per head (someone pays £9.34:))

MEP two adults:
£12.50 Landing
£12.00 Entrance

£24.50 Total
or
£12.25 per head

MEP four adults:
£12.50 Landing
£24.00 Entrance

£36.50 Total
or
£9.12 per head (someone pays £9.14:))

16/17 y.o. are cheaper (under 16 free) at £3.00 per

Other concessions are listed on their website. (OAP/JSA etc)

5 April is still "Winter hours", so opens at 10:00 closes at 16:00 or SS whichever earlier.

(If you've never been to Duxford before, one day will not be enough to see everything)

References:

Duxford Website: http://www.iwm.org.uk/duxford/

Aerodrome Info: http://www.iwm.org.uk/duxford/airfieldinfo.htm

FlyIn Booking Page: http://www.aircraftbooking.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=49

If you complete the flyin booking page this can be faxed to Duxford and avoid everyone having to waste time completing booking-in etc - also gives everyone a better idea of how many aircraft and people to expect ;)

Let me know if you need more info.

LowNSlow
10th Dec 2002, 15:44
Whay hey, something that fits in with my leave schedule :D :D

All I have to do now is put the Auster back together and get the C of A paperwork back. Even I should be able to do that by 5th April..... :rolleyes:

BRL are we having a Pprune Pparking Pplot?

AerBabe
10th Dec 2002, 16:19
Pperhaps ;)

Low, if you want an extra pair of hands for any work you have to do on that beautiful machine, let me know. Although I have no idea how close to NOT Coventry/ NOT Milton Keynes you are :D

MikeSamuel
10th Dec 2002, 20:02
As usual I will be looking to scrounge a lift from any unsuspecting Midlander ;) Sounds like it could be a big one though! :) Duxford is great too, with lots of shiny things to look at :) Looking forward to it!

Flyin'Dutch'
11th Dec 2002, 19:56
Blue Robin,

IIRC I promised to take you in the Robin before.

If all is well and I can go on the fifth quite happy to honour that promise.

Would you mind?

:eek:

FD

Archard
20th Dec 2002, 22:19
As one who has yet to attend one's first fly-in, some idea of how the day is organised, or not, would be appreciated. In other words is a room likely to be booked for reception and intoductions, or is it more a case of wandering around the hangars and asking people if they are fellow PPRuNers?!

Also, I note the four aircraft booked so far are all arriving between 1000 and 1100, so is it peferable to arrive reasonably early, or is arrival time not particularly important?

Thanks in advance for any information received.

TheKentishFledgling
21st Dec 2002, 12:25
I've been to quite a few fly-ins, and normally, people meet in the clubhouse, bar etc.

I've been to a Duxford fly-in before (with another Internet group I'm on) and someone booked the "Concorde" room for people to sit, chat, meet etc. Duxford is so big, you could wander around all day looking for someone ;)

I believe there's also a room in the tower that is available for meeting and greeting.

As for arrival time.........
I think there will be people arriving all day, I've never yet been to a fly-in where everyone arrived when they said they would (aircraft probs, weather, air traffic etc). So I guess, aim to arrive earlyish.

tKF

AerBabe
21st Dec 2002, 17:45
I'll be sure and wear my new 'bash t-shirt'. Those who were on the receiving end of my raffle ticket selling at GatBash will know the one. Those that weren't will soon work out who I am... :)
Generally I think it's pretty obvious who the PPRuNers are - the rowdy bunch in the corner.

Food is usually bought on the day, from the airfield.

Anything else I've missed out?

FlyingForFun
23rd Dec 2002, 08:36
tKF and AerBabe are right - the rowdy bunch in the corner is usually enough of a description for newbies to find us, whether it's a bash or a fly-in! But Duxford really is too big for that - I think a defined meeting point would probably be a good idea in this case. Nearer the time, I'll be happy to give out my mobile number to any newbies who aren't sure they'll be able to find us.

FFF
---------------

knobbygb
23rd Dec 2002, 09:26
It's a bit far away for a first long distance trip by a low hours pilot like me. Does anybody who wants to go from up north fancy being a safety pilot?

I'd be taking either a Warrior or a Robin from Sherburn and I'm not sure what club rules are about non-member flying the aircraft, so I'd probably get to log all the flying time, but at least that means I'd have to pay all the dosh too! So, anyone who can navigate want a free lift? I know there are Ppruners at Netherthorpe and Gamston which are on the way - I'd be happy to stop and collect someone.

rustle
23rd Dec 2002, 20:09
The website hosting the fly in details had a glitch over the weekend, so all the details are gone :eek:

But I have recreated it so please complete your details as before :)

http://www.aircraftbooking.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=49

AerBabe
23rd Dec 2002, 20:58
knobbygb - your post got me thinking... I've not flown P1 since *checks log book* the 19th of October :( *sob, wail* And I'm not sure how much I'll be able to do before the fly-in. If I fly at all it's likely to be in the chipmunk (woohoo) and not the spamcan.

Anyone with a licence want to come RHS in the C152 with me from Coventry and hold my hand? Please? *puppy dog eyes*

I know Sywell/Wellesbourne etc fairly well, so would be happy picking someone up from there....

2WingsOnMyWagon
23rd Dec 2002, 22:53
Sorry, slightly off the thread here BUT do you guys and gals know each other or do you use winks,wry smiles and secret handshakes to determine fellow pruners?;) :D :cool: :confused:

AerBabe
24th Dec 2002, 08:55
Some of us know each other... having a quick look at this thread I know:
Our esteemed moderator, BRL
LowNSlow (Yup, I'm still climbing up big rocks ;) )
Mike Samuel (fancy a mince pie?)
TheKentishFledgling
FFF
WhoHasControl
Keef
... can't remember who else posted :o

The others... well once you've met a ppruner, they're easier to spot. Some have pprune t-shirts, or caps, the others are just... well... you know :) :confused:

If anyone wants a mobile number to call on the day I'd be happy to give mine out too.

Stampe
24th Dec 2002, 09:55
Subject to roster will endeavour to attend from Rochester in my faithful "lunchliner" the Condor or the company warrior .Given the enormity of the site may I suggest a defined meeting point some sort of badge and a specific refreshment point arrangement.Seem to remember catering at Duxford is very large museum "cafeteria"enough said!!.With so much to see and so little time would be easy for the Pprune bit to fall apart.Looking forward to seeing you all.

FlyingForFun
24th Dec 2002, 10:25
With so much to see and so little time would be easy for the Pprune bit to fall apartVery true. Maybe we could arrange some kind of museum tour? That way we'll at least stay together. Any late-comers could call someone to find out where we are and join the tour...

FFF
---------------

stiknruda
24th Dec 2002, 11:27
knoggygb

I reckon that sherburn to duxford would be a fantastic cross-country for you - sure you can take someone with you but it would be a nice acheivement to know that you've planned it so well that you could have done it on your own!

You have until May to do all the planning and you can always seek lots of help - have a word with my mate Cas or his son Graham at Sherburn and perhaps he'll help you do the flight planning.

If you get really stuck drop me an e-mail and I'll try and help from afar!

If Aerbabe is going and the wx is ok, I might bimble over in the Aeronca or whizz down in the Pitts. If tKf is going I might take the 2 seater down if I can borrow it again!

Weather here is brightening so off to fly now!!

Merry Chrimbo and safe flying

Stik

TheKentishFledgling
24th Dec 2002, 11:31
Sounds good stik, cheers :)

I'm trying to find someone willing to give me a ride at the moment. I'll keep you posted.

Have a good Christmas everyone, and plenty of CAVOK in '03.

tKF

knobbygb
28th Dec 2002, 13:49
Thanks stik, - I actually don't think I'll have any trouble planning the trip (already planned it actually :) ) - I was just trying to be cautious as I do get a little over confident at times. I'm sure Cas would help - he's always been very helpful through my training and is full of good advice - I was perhaps worried that he might think I was over-stretching myself for a first major trip - I'll have a chat next week (he'll be taking me up for my first taildragger lesson).

So did anybody else attempt somthing of that scale (140 miles each way) just after getting their PPL? How did it go? I'd kind of assumed that the weather wouldn't allow me to fly much before then - I might be surprised and arrive at Duxford with another 50 hours in the book.

LowNSlow
29th Dec 2002, 05:50
AerBabe thanks for the offer of help but it's going to be in the hands of my friendly engineer now as I'm back in Kaz. I've just got the rudder and some other bits to paint before refitting when I get home in February (plus a few bits to re-paint :rolleyes:

When I'm not in Kaz I'm relatively close to NOT MK but far away from NOT Coventry. :D

See y'all in Duxford :D :D

rustle
21st Jan 2003, 16:52
Thought this needed bringing back to page one ;)

There's only 11 aircraft showing on the flyin page, and we need more for our "bulk" discount.

So come on.

Roll up, roll up, for the greatest PPRuNe Private Flying Fly In Ever (2)

April ain't that far away now. By then we should even have managed to read ALL of December's NOTAMs :D

AerBabe
21st Jan 2003, 17:24
the greatest PPRuNe Private Flying Fly In Ever (2) Number 3 actually! :p
I've found someone to hold my hand now, so all I need is to get current at some point, and remember how to aviate/navigate/communicate, and we'll be there!

Evo
21st Jan 2003, 17:55
Genghis - if you have still got a seat available can I hitch a lift with you from Popham? Will happily pay my way.. :)

Will PM you when I get a chance, but a bit busy now... :(

rustle
21st Jan 2003, 18:28
AerBabe

"Number 3 actually!"

Doh! Glad I'm not good at counting -- hope it means my IQ is low enough to be safe :D

Barney_Gumble
21st Jan 2003, 20:05
Hi,

I would like to come along from Biggin Hill. That makes 12 a/c booked on the flying page :)

Regards

Barney

DBChopper
22nd Jan 2003, 13:30
...because if so, I'd like to fly up in the R22. Duxford has been on my, "I must go there..." list for some time and this sounds like a great opportunity to whizz up from Brands Hatch and meet some new flying peeps...

DBChopper

:cool:

Taildragger
22nd Jan 2003, 23:44
BRL....I must make my agopolies. I shall be in Greek Greece Aircraft Spotting. Shall be back 9 July.....but you never know.

BRL
22nd Jan 2003, 23:52
DBChopper
Helos are more than welcome. The fly-in is for anyone who reads this forum, the more the merrier. At the Popham fly-in that we had a while ago, I had my first go in a helicopter thanks to The NR Fairy who took me up for a spin. Brilliant it was as well. You are more than welcome. (As long as I get a go.. ;) :p ).

Taily So thats you who is always at the perimiter fence standing on a stepladder at far flung places.... ;) :p

foghorn
23rd Jan 2003, 12:41
If my Tiger is back from the repair shop by then, count me in!!!

(It's been in 6 months now...)

rotorboater
23rd Jan 2003, 17:18
As Choppers are welcome, we will make it.

Is there a meeting place?

I read peoples posts and have often wondered what some of the PPruners actually look like! I am assuming we have a wide cross section from Mr Angry to Mr Anourak (well that's what it seems from some posts!)

AerBabe
23rd Jan 2003, 17:49
There are photos of some of the Private Flying people here (http://groups.msn.com/LatinFlyersAirportBar/_whatsnew.msnw).

knobbygb
23rd Jan 2003, 19:18
Anyone fancy setting up an area on MSN or Yahoo or somthing , like the one posted above, where we can post piccies and a few more details about ourselves before the fly-in? I for one don't particularly like the anonymity bit - I'd much rather know who I'm meeting at fly-ins without having to approach strangers and ask "err... are you a Ppruner?" Otherwise I'll probably hide in a corner and not speak to anyone all day. I'll set somthing up if anyone else is interested.

I suppose it'd be better still if we had the option to post pics on our Pprune profile pages (alliteration accidental). Does anyone know if that's possible/practical?

Evo
23rd Jan 2003, 20:21
I'd much rather know who I'm meeting at fly-ins without having to approach strangers and ask "err... are you a Ppruner?"

It's alright, knobby. I've never needed to ask. You just ... kinda ... know... ;) :D

Whirlybird
23rd Jan 2003, 20:30
DBChopper,

Of course helis can play too. You don't think I'm missing a fly-in, do you? And I barely remember how to fly those funny things with non-whirly wings.

I might have a seat available in an R22, but since between now and April I'm doing a heli FI course at Thruxton, and possibly moving house, and I don't know what else, I don't want to commit myself right now. But I can post nearer the time and let you all know.

DBChopper
23rd Jan 2003, 21:12
Big Red 'L' and Whirlybird,

Thanks - count me in. I'll book the 22 tomorrow and fill in the booking form. I look forward to it. It even fits in with my weekend off!

Duxford here we come...

DBChopper :cool:

BRL
23rd Jan 2003, 21:18
There are pictures from the Poham fly-in and others HERE (http://groups.msn.com/BRLPictures/shoebox.msnw)

knobbygb I think you can upload pictures on the above link. Give it a try and let us know if you have done it.

Whirly Where are you thinking of moving to?

Whirlybird
24th Jan 2003, 09:07
Big Red L,

Somewhere nearer to a few helicopter schools so there's more chance of work when I finish the FI course. I have a few places in mind, but I don't want to start any wild rumours now when it might never happen.

Ask me in April. ;)

AerBabe
24th Jan 2003, 09:34
Let me know if you need someone to drive a van Whirly! ;)
Mind you, could be 'interesting' getting one outside your house...

BlueRobin
24th Jan 2003, 10:46
*BlueRobin valiantly charged into the fray for AerBabe* :p

Annabel - do you still need someone to hold your chart for you from Baginton?

=Neil=

distaff_beancounter
24th Jan 2003, 12:26
.... and fill in the booking form ... Have I missed something?

Do I have to get a booking form from BRL?

Also, has BRL got any badges for sale so that we can recognise each other?

You know, the ones that say I am a PPRUNE :D

or, in my case, is that too obvious :)

OK I have just found the booking system on the previous page. :)

BRL
24th Jan 2003, 12:42
Hi DB There are 3 pages of forms to fill in, just e-mail me and I will send them on.......Just kidding, I think he means the forms at his flying club.. :D

I will ask Pprune pop for badges etc and see if there are any t-shirts if anyone wants one. Watch this space as astronomers say......

(P.S. pprune pop may 'pop' along, he was at the Popham fly-in so he may well go along to this one too........)

distaff_beancounter
24th Jan 2003, 12:57
Hi BRL
I have managed to fill in the booking thingy on the previous page. (Must remember to book an aircraft tomorrow!)

Yes, I am in the market for a BIG Girl's T-shirt, polo shirt or sweat shirt, if Pprune has got any, please. :)

Lowtimer
24th Jan 2003, 13:42
We should have the Yak back from its Permit renewal by then so I've put myself down for that. If not, will probably pop along by car.

AerBabe
24th Jan 2003, 16:54
BlueRobin - no need to do any valiant charging, thanks, I've found someone to hold my chart, and tell me what to do. ;)

FlyingForFun
24th Jan 2003, 20:12
How did I manage to miss the fact that someone had set up a booking page??? D'oh! Anyway, my name's down now. Free seat going from White Waltham if anyone's interested - send me a private message or an e-mail, but bear with me if I'm slow to reply over the next couple of weeks because I'm in the middle of my exams...

FFF
------------

MADGASTERS
24th Jan 2003, 21:12
Can anyone come along :)

Barney_Gumble
24th Jan 2003, 22:00
MADGASTERS

I think that the more the merrier is the order of the day......PPRuNe folk are very welcoming :D

BRL
24th Jan 2003, 22:12
DB I am not too sure about the t-shirts/badges. I did ask pprune pop about it and he is going to post something very soon.

FFF I wouldn't mind going over there from WW in your Europa if the seat is available? Let us know and I will split the costs with you etc. Good luck with the exams too.... :)

MADGASTERS You are more than welcome to come over. As Barney G says, the more the merrier, just put your name down on the form as mentioned earlier in this thread.... :)

We will need a suitable meeting point for us all so if anyone knows the place well could you please tell us here or drop me a PM or something. Last thing we want is a load of ppruners let lose all over the place wandering around aimlessly.. ;)
Also, what are the chances of everyone doing a tour together, say meeting at 1200 for the tour? I have never been there so don't know what to expect/how long it would take so anyone who knows could you let us know.....?

rustle
25th Jan 2003, 06:41
So you don't have to look back too far to find the fly-in form, here it is again: http://www.aircraftbooking.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=49

AerBabe
25th Jan 2003, 09:19
FFF - how are the GCSEs going then?

Lowtimer
25th Jan 2003, 10:22
BRL & other people who haven't been there before:

Duxford is big - really big. To give everything a once-over is a full day's work, and you can easily lose yourself there for a couple of days. So that's the scale of the place. Lots of visitors start at the Superhangar at the entrance / exit end of the airfield, and many never get past that. Many more get the little land train up to the American Air Force museum building at the opposite end f the airfield, and never get further than that. In between are four major hangars of exibits, and right at the top beyond the AAFM, is the Land Warfare Hall, which is pretty much a morning or afternoon's worth of armour and similar displays.

If people want a foolproof meeting point, and assuming the weather is reasonable, can I suggest outside the public entrance to the AAFM - it's a distinctive dome-shaped building, the public entrans is round the back. There are toilets and snacks inside so it's not a bad meeting point and you really can't miss it.

hope this helps

BRL
25th Jan 2003, 14:21
Brilliant Lowtimer, thanks a lot for the info. It looks like a mass tour is out of the question then and the meeting point will be as above at the public entrance to the american air force museum. This may well be subject to change looking at the next post (I knew that psychic powers course i went on would come in handy one day) so keep an eye on this thread. :)

rustle
25th Jan 2003, 14:29
"...meeting point will be as above at the public entrance to the american air force museum."

Excellent (in a Mr. Burns-ish voice)

Glad I organised parking at the EASTERN end of Duxford :rolleyes:

(I haven't had this confirmed, so don't panic or pack hiking boots. Yet...)

BRL
25th Jan 2003, 14:32
Oops...!!!!! Looks like a change of plan already....!!!

distaff_beancounter
26th Jan 2003, 09:41
How about meeting outside the main cafe (who's name I have forgotton). If I remember correctly (not been to Duxford for a couple of years) this is a short walk on the direct route from the Control Tower (where we will have to pay landing fee + museum entry fee) and hangar 1 (the big "superhangar").

I also recall that the museum does organise tours, at no extra cost, if requested beforehand, for groups such as ours.

If we are too idle to walk around the entire site, then there is a road-train, that runs around the whole site, all day, & stops outside all the hangars & main buildings.

More info on the Duxford website at:-

DUXFORD Imperial War Museum (http://www.iwm.org.uk/duxford/index.htm)

Charlie Zulu
26th Jan 2003, 14:16
Okay I have the Beagle Pup booked for Duxford and flower is coming along with me.

Lets just hope for nice weather on the day! :)

Has anyone organised the parking for all of the aircraft? Just wondering if any hard standing parking area as opposed to the grass is available? We don't have much clearance on the Beagle Pups propeller and from what I remember of the grass parking area it isn't too level. :-)))

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Kolibear
27th Jan 2003, 11:01
Racks brain to remember Duxford

If you face the museum from the Control tower, there is a cafe in front of your. Over to your right towards the superhanger and main entrance, there is another cafe too. (The Spitfire Restaurant???

As Lowtimer said, Duxford really needs a day or two to do properly and although I enjoy meeting fellow ppruners, I'd prefer to be looking at old aeroplanes. Nothing personal chaps!

What I suggest we do is to arrive when we get there, but arrange to meet up for a Pprune Nosh at one of these eateries at say 12:30 or 1:00.

Then in the afternoon, we can either head off en masse to one of the hangars, or do our own things.

rotorboater
27th Jan 2003, 13:40
PPrune Gallery

I have just Followed AerBabes link and see just who may be there, Now I know who to look for. I can't wait to meet AerBabe!

http://groups.msn.com/LatinFlyersAirportBar/pprunegallery.msnw?Page=1

Edited to make the link work :)

Hersham Boy
28th Jan 2003, 12:55
I don't believe it! Assuming we're still on for April 5th (didn't have time to read whoe thread) than Hersh can't make it.

I'd promised myself I'd do the first fly-in after my GFT- and I'm now signed off on the Archer as well... AND I've always wanted to go to Duxford.

But a good friend is getting married that day!!! :(

Hu hum - next one... have a good time! :)

Hersh

FlyingForFun
1st Feb 2003, 21:45
BRL, your seat in the Europa is booked! Will speak to you nearer the time about exact details. Don't worry about sharing costs, you'll be subject to the same rules as all my passengers. You pay the landing fee and buy me lunch, I pay for the flying.

Ooh, I can't wait!

FFF
-----------

FNG
3rd Feb 2003, 07:19
I shall try to come and will probably have a spare seat (Cap 10b White Waltham, or can possibly pick up en route).

rustle
11th Feb 2003, 20:12
23 aircraft and > 40 people so far...

Should be a good day out :D

Edited to add the link to the flyin page:

http://www.aircraftbooking.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=49

Kolibear
12th Feb 2003, 08:39
Hey BRL, FFF has got you stitched up there!!

Don't forget that the landing fee doesn't include entry to the museum.

buzzc152
12th Feb 2003, 14:37
Hello

I seem to have entirly missed this post until now.
I've never been to a Pprune fly in. Am very keen though.

If anyone needs a ride I'll take me Arrow from Elstree. Can pick up on route. As its on a few mins flight I'll probably go the long way........

LowNSlow
18th Feb 2003, 21:25
I've been assured by my friendly engineers that the Auster will be signed off and ready to go for 5th April so there's a spare seat from the St. Albans / Luton / Stevenage are if anybody woud like a ride in a noisy, not very well painted (I did it) Auster :D

PS Was somebody looking for a Cub to buy? For the non-PFA members try +353 53 46225 (home) +353 86 816 4536 (mobile) or email [email protected]. I'm sure Mr. Wallace won't mind me lifting his numbers from his ad in Popular Flying to publicise them to a wider audience. Oh yes, it's 3600 TTSN, 1300 SMOH on an 1800 TBO. New mags, tailwires and instruments plus a recent prop. It's yellow and the cahp wants £11,500. Getcha cheque books out and book a flight to the Emerald Isle :D BRL 'tis nothing to do with me, just spreading the word!

rustle
23rd Feb 2003, 17:15
Some (revised and confirmed 23 Feb 2003) details about the fly in:

Landing fees, based on 15+ aircraft flying in:

SEP £10.00
MEP £14.00

Entrance fees, based on more than 20 (human) attendees:

£6.50 per adult

£4.50 per 'senior' - I don't know what age one becomes 'senior' :D

Other concessions are listed on their website. (see link below)

Parking:

Helicopter traffic will park at the standard rotory parking area South of the Taxiway on the Grass towards the American Air Museum.

Fixed Wing Twins will be parked on the Hard Standing West of ATC.

Subject to operational requirements, singles will be parked South of the Taxiway to the West of ATC OR GA Parking to the East of ATC.

5 April is still "Winter hours", so opens at 10:00 closes at 16:00 or SS whichever earlier.

(If you've never been to Duxford before, one day will not be enough to see everything)

References:

Duxford Website: http://www.iwm.org.uk/duxford/

Aerodrome Info: http://www.iwm.org.uk/duxford/airfieldinfo.htm

FlyIn Booking Page: http://www.aircraftbooking.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=49

All that's left is to hope for decent weather, and organise a meeting point.
(My vote goes for somewhere close to the hard-standing west of ATC ;) )

Looking forward to meeting some more of you :D

ModernDinosaur
23rd Feb 2003, 19:01
Many thanks to rustle for continuing to organise this fly-in - I know I'm really looking forwards to it, and I just hope the weather is good.

One question, rustle - you state that
yet the Duxford website you linked to reads
Airfield Opening Hours
Summer: 16 March to 31 October, 10.00 hrs to 18.00 hrs local time.
Winter: 1 November to 15 March, 10.00 hrs to 16.00 hrs local time.

My 2003 Pooleys has the same dates as the Duxford website. As the fly-in is on 5th April, surely this should be "Summer hours" by the best part of a month... is the Duxford website out of date, or have some wires got crossed somewhere?

As you say, one day isn't enough to see the whole of Duxford. Sunset on April 5th is 1946L (1846Z), so I might not leave until the last moment: my home airfield is only 45 minutes away and is open until 2000L.

Thanks again, rustle!

Cheers,

MD.

rustle
23rd Feb 2003, 19:17
DOH! My calender had April before March ;)

You're quite right. Here's the scoop from "Jeeves":

For 2002-2006 inclusive, the summer-time periods begin and end respectively on the following dates at 1.00am Greenwich Mean Time:
In 2003: the Sundays of 30 March and 26 October
In 2004: the Sundays of 28 March and 31 October
In 2005: the Sundays of 27 March and 30 October
In 2006: the Sundays of 26 March and 29 October
In 2007: the Sundays of 25 March and 28 October

Note that even Jeeves got it wrong, because the entries copied above verbatim say 2002-2006 inclusive, then refer to 2003-2007. :rolleyes:

So I'm in good company :D

Keef
23rd Feb 2003, 21:16
Just checked the diary, and it says I'm supposed to be on Gran Canaria and also at the Cathedral for a "do" on that day, so I doubt I'll be able to make Duxford. Pity.

Have a great time, y'all. I know Duxford quite well and it is worth several days out.

I confidently predict that half the folks who go won't meet the other half. I've been to a few gatherings there and had that experience.

AerBabe
23rd Feb 2003, 21:39
I'm not surprised you didn't meet your other half there, Keef. ;)
If anyone's really worried about finding us (PPRuNers are very quiet and restrained, often overlooked) you can have my mobile number...
Oh dear, what have I done? :eek:

rustle
26th Feb 2003, 09:50
Just checked the booking page and it shows 28 aircraft and 51 people expected to this flyin :)

Have also cajoled Mike (mrcross) into accompanying me for the flyin, so if you see a couple of blokes wheeling a barrow-load of Notam printouts around, say hello :D

LowNSlow
27th Feb 2003, 10:16
Ooops, booked myself in twice. How do you delete an entry on the booking form??

AerBabe
27th Feb 2003, 10:48
You blank out all the fields Low. Don't worry, I've done it for you. Cos I'm nice like that. ;)

P.S. Climbed up some rocks yesterday. :D

FlyingForFun
27th Feb 2003, 11:07
Climbed up some rocks yesterdayMad woman. :ugh: :D :p

AerBabe
27th Feb 2003, 11:10
How many times??? :{
I'm not mad, Welsh or scary.
:*

Hersham Boy
27th Feb 2003, 12:18
The personal title disagrees... :)

knobbygb
27th Feb 2003, 13:54
Welsh, scary and mad? Thought all three went hand-in-hand.

flower
27th Feb 2003, 14:03
Yes it sure does guys , Watch out Im flying in to ............
;) ;) ;)

FlyingForFun
27th Feb 2003, 14:20
Two welsh, scary mad-women in the same place at the same time, both with aeroplanes? Hmm...... :eek:

Be nice to meet you, though, flower, especially since I don't think I'm going to make Techchick's Southport bash next month.

FFF
---------------

Archard
1st Mar 2003, 23:30
I have just tried to access the aircraft booking page and get the response: "The page you have tried to access on this website does not exist." When clicking on: "Return to www.aircraftbooking.co.uk" one is then asked for ABS login password, etc., so does anyone know what is going on?!

Also, will bookings already made be submitted en block and accepted by Duxford as constituting PPR, or should we all still apply individually?

Any help on the above would be gratefully received with thanks.

Paul A.

LowNSlow
2nd Mar 2003, 03:42
AerBabe ta for that.

Still defying gravity without using an aeroplane then :eek:

PS you might not be Welsh or scary, but you're certainly mad :p

rustle
2nd Mar 2003, 17:00
New URL for the flyin page :O

http://www.thehangar.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=49

rustle
3rd Mar 2003, 17:30
FYI,

There is some work in progress at Duxford which may impact our planned flyin...

The (hard) runway is being resurfaced :eek: but this is expected, weather permitting, to be complete by end of March...

If I know it is complete before, say, 4th April I will post here again with that news.

If I forget :rolleyes:, or if it isn't completed until 0800 on the 5th April I suggest you ring Duxford to check.

So not only do we want good weather on the 5th, we really need good weather from now until the 5th.

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd Mar 2003, 19:20
Rustle,

Too darn right!

Dont want mud on the Cirrus so you will have to make sure that they have finished the hard.

If not I will come in the Citabria.

FD (It's a hard life!)

Wycombe
3rd Mar 2003, 22:12
Slipped the surly bonds at the weekend and being now in possession of the required stamp in my logbook, hope that I'll be able to make it to my 3rd Pprune fly-in.

If I can get something booked at this late-ish stage, it'll be one of those (not quite so new now, but still very nice) 172's that you may remember from Popham and Sywell.

Duxford's a real TAP's paradise, and it's been a few years, so how could I miss it (well I might, but that'll be my own fault for not getting it sorted sooner).

rustle
6th Mar 2003, 19:38
More news from Duxford...

PPR - I will fax the list from the Flyin Booking Page to Duxford and that will do as PPR. (I will fax it to Duxford on the Friday evening)

If you're not on there, you'll need to ring for PPR.

If you don't know the aircraft reg you'll be in (some are G???? on the list) you'll need to update the page or ring for PPR when you know.

All pilots will still need to book in/out as normal.

Here's the link again, incase you want to update anything ;)

http://www.thehangar.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=49

Wycombe
7th Mar 2003, 12:22
Well I wasn't too late - plane booked, details added to list :D

Cusco
8th Mar 2003, 14:09
Duxford Special Events:

While the PPRUNE fly-in on 5th April is not oficially a 'special event' (this refers to airshows at Duxford), there is a very useful AIP document (I've got it on CDROM but I'm sure its on the CAA website) called UKAIP 10/2002 or yellow 72.

It gives useful tips on approaching Duxford, including how to avoid Stansted and how to avoid Fowlmere which is close by.

Also tips on what to do in case of radio failure etc.

I fly-in two or three times a year to Duxford airshows, and with loads of A/c all trying to get in at once they usually have pre- arranged slot times.

Presumably Duxford don't see the need for slot times on 5th April but I would commend you all (especially first timers into Duxford) to study AIP yellow 72 (10/2002) as it also gives details of no-fly areas to avoid overflying local villagea as well as entry and exit gates to the airfield.

I'd hate to think of 24 SELs buzzing round over local villages and inflaming the local populace against G.A..

Just my twopence worth.

Safe flying and CYA there on 5th.

Cusco

OOPS forgot to include the link

www.ais.org/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4YO72.PDF

You have to register of course but its free.:D :D

Barney_Gumble
8th Mar 2003, 16:25
Excellent Info Cusco,

Thanks, I will have a good read before hand

Cheers :ok:

Barney

rustle
8th Mar 2003, 16:42
You forgot the ".uk" Cusco ;)

Link you need: http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4Y072.PDF

Courtman
9th Mar 2003, 06:28
AGA : FROM 03/03/03 10:00 TO 03/03/31 16:00 L0213/03
E)RWY 06/24 ASPHALT CLOSED DUE WIP

Just pulled this from the AIS website. It says is should be finished 5 days before we descend, but might be worth checking out the progress a few days before?

Whirlybird
9th Mar 2003, 12:14
I don't know if I'm going or not, or in what aircraft. :confused: If in a helicopter, I should have a spare seat (cost sharing?) from Wolverhampton. But I really need the f/w hours, so if anyone, with or without an aircraft already, would like to come with me from Sleap, Welshpool, Liverpool, WBA, or similar, please let me know - I could do with a co-pilot as I'm a bit out of practice on these plank thinkies. :) Send me a pm if you might be interested in either of the above.

Saab Dastard
12th Mar 2003, 16:14
Assuming that the licence arrives back in time I intend to fly G-AVNW PA28-180 Cherokee from Fairoaks.

Anyone interested in sharing the flying and cost?

SD

140cherokee
12th Mar 2003, 17:23
Have got our group's Archer booked for the day. Will be there will two others from Glos/Staverton.

Has a meet-up time been decided yet?

See you there.

rustle
15th Mar 2003, 17:20
33 aircraft (@ 15/3/03) :)

140cherokee

Most people seem to be planning to arrive about 10 ish, so I suspect we'll meet in an orderly queue at the pay-point ;)

Failing that, we suggested the USAF Museum around noon-ish.

Cusco
15th Mar 2003, 17:27
33 aircraft! Holy cr*p! all arriving at 10.00.

I pity the poor ATCers with no slot-times.

Keep a seriously good lookout chaps: I can remember one Duxford airshow fly-in when even with slot times two a/c were lined up on finals at the same time to opposite ends of the runway.

Also: is the work on the main runway going to be finished?

Looking forward to it

Cusco

rustle
15th Mar 2003, 17:32
"is the work on the main runway going to be finished?"

If the first one to land seems to be using full power and not taxiing very quickly, we have to assume the tar ain't dry :)

Hope to know about this soon... As I said B4, if we can maintain good weather from now until then they should get it finished...

Flying Lawyer
19th Mar 2003, 23:11
Just seen this thread, and hope to join you.
The Gazelle is booked in for checks that week but, fingers crossed, should be ready by the weekend.

FlyingForFun
20th Mar 2003, 08:12
After failing to meet up with several PPRuNers at the Turweston fly-in last weekend...

...If anyone wants my mobile number, please send me a PM.

FFF
-----------

Lowtimer
20th Mar 2003, 08:42
Same goes for me - if anyone wants to meet during the day PM for my mobile number, or of course catch me around a large silver Yak-52 as I will probably spend quite a bit of the day in the air.
FFF, AB, tKF - I have each of you mentally logged as requiring a ride. Mike S is in the back seat on the inbound and outbound legs.

sharpshot
20th Mar 2003, 12:03
Our ETA is in "z"
Are you all on local time (BST) :confused:

Barney_Gumble
22nd Mar 2003, 15:30
Let's bring this one back up to Page 1....

HelenD and Hubby are hopefully joining me also :ok:

Barney

I can't seem to access the booking page though to add their names :confused:

TheKentishFledgling
22nd Mar 2003, 15:48
http://www.thehangar.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=49 - seems to be working here :rolleyes:

tKF

Barney_Gumble
22nd Mar 2003, 18:26
Cheers tKF,

I was using the wrong link

Barney

LowNSlow
24th Mar 2003, 12:27
sharpshot well spotted, I for one am indeed thinking in local rather than Zulu :)

Zulu - Dawn't yew frow that bl00dy spear, at me, again - apologies Mr. Michael Caine... :D :D :D

FlyingForFun
24th Mar 2003, 12:32
I think I'll stick with "morning" - far easier! :D

FFF
---------------

foghorn
24th Mar 2003, 13:40
Got to cancel on yet another fly-in - the Tiger still isn't back from repair, after eight months.

:( :( :( :( :(

rustle
26th Mar 2003, 09:30
I have been advised that the joining procedure for Duxford may be wrongly described in a couple of third-party "Flight Guides"

There are no overhead joins at Duxford.

Duxford flight procedures according to the AIP (AD 2.22 a)

"The Fowlmere and Duxford ATZs overlap. There are no overhead joins at Duxford or Fowlmere to assist in deconfliction of circuit patterns"

See: www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/ad/302SU01.PDF

Edit: I thought the above link wasn't there, but it is, DOH!

LowNSlow
28th Mar 2003, 11:52
Yahooooo, the Auster is out of her * Annual, flight tested and everything. Only the weather can stop me now :D :D :D

Learning_Slowly
28th Mar 2003, 15:38
If you are using 24 or 06 just watch out for the infamous Duxford bump it comes just after the numbers on the grass and tends to make an otherwise pleasent landing into some what more of an arrival. I will check with ATC head chappy to see hows the runway surfacing is going if that will help, and keep you notified.

Sure I will see you all there at one point as I will be hiding in my little hut trying to get Tiger Moths into the air.

rustle
29th Mar 2003, 03:02
Spoke to Duxford again today. (Well, Duxford FIS actually)

Work started today, the contractors are aware of our plans, and they forsee no problems...
(Looks like we'll all be on the grass then :D)

PS - don't forget to check the AIS "plate" for joining/departure instructions and don't rely on your Flight Guides - no overhead joins.

http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/ad/302SU01.PDF

Crossedcontrols
31st Mar 2003, 20:49
A bit fell of the cub at the week end, so looks like another no show for me.
Have fun.

CC

AerBabe
1st Apr 2003, 03:19
If it wasn't an important bit ie. wing/engine/wheel, there's no excuse!

SW

Genghis the Engineer
1st Apr 2003, 13:55
I've still got one seat spare from Popham if anybody's short a lift.

G

Barney_Gumble
1st Apr 2003, 15:02
Genghis,

It might be worth asking Pilotwolf. He asked me for a lift but I am close to my all up weight so cannot oblige him. He was looking around for a lift and lives sort of close. I'll drop him a PM.

Barney

PPRuNe Towers
1st Apr 2003, 15:48
Tragedy has struck at the Towers airstrip and the faithful Aeronca Chief has been totalled in a take-off accident. Both on board fine but very sad.

I'll be bringing the family by road to gaze on wistfully. Watch out for the Volvo estate weighed down under the PPRuNe badges for all. Look forward to meeting up with you.

Regards
Rob Lloyd

PS - Any of the commercial flying ops like the Rapide running there this early in the season? The two kids with me have still never flown in a light aircraft.

Genghis the Engineer
1st Apr 2003, 16:54
Don't spend real money for goodness sake, one of us will oblige quite happily. I'll happy take them round the block in my Warrior if you don't mind contributing the landing fee.

Okay, not as sexy as a Rapide I'll grant you, but a darnsight cheaper.

G

FNG
1st Apr 2003, 17:00
and I will take them up in my Cap 10 if interested (and big enough to be strapped in safely)

stiknruda
1st Apr 2003, 20:48
Rob - sorry to hear about your Aeronca - wouldn't have been at w's would it?

If the wx is fine, I shall probably head over to Kemble to watch the aeros comp in my bipe.

However if the wx not so clever, I may bring my Aeronca clone (fresh from rebuild) out for you to have a go in! If I don't I'll bringit down to w's one day.

Stik

PPRuNe Towers
1st Apr 2003, 22:26
Many thanks for those kind offers - truly appreciated after the loss of an aircraft I'd put a huge amount of work into. The accident happened at Waites Farm and I'm looking forward to something good in the form of a new project to come of it.

We all found out about the accident in a most unfortunate way - the kids literally stumbling across the wreckage, so I'd love to see them get in the air on Saturday especially as one of then has his 9th birthday that day. I suspect the memsahib will be shoving them to the back of the queue though - she used to do a regular 'Annie Oakley' routine from the back of Dick Partridge's Stampe at the old Ipswich airport during the eighties:cool: :cool:

Regards and my thanks,
Rob

phnuff
2nd Apr 2003, 04:22
Is this PPrune day just a turn up sort of thing, or do we need tickets or what (never been to one you see)

BRL
2nd Apr 2003, 05:33
phnuff All you do is send me £100 then I put you on the list and your in. Failing that, put your name down HERE (http://www.thehangar.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=49) if you intend flying in or are after a lift. You can drive-in too as have many people have done in the past if thats easier. You just turn up on the day and introduce yourself.

Hardest part is looking for the others. There are details of a meeting place a few pages back in the thread. Good fun walking up to complete strangers saying "are you a ppruner"... :)

AerBabe
2nd Apr 2003, 06:00
Phnuff found us at Luton because Koliber was doing aeroplane impressions round the station carpark... I'm not sure that would be so unusual at Duxford. :p I could try flashing my tattoo again though!

Learning_Slowly
2nd Apr 2003, 15:05
We will be flying the Rapide and our Tiger Moth, we have a nice shiny Stearman coming soon but not sure if that will be around on the 5th.

Lowtimer
2nd Apr 2003, 16:02
Alas, due to circumstances beyond my control I have to withdraw, at least from airborne arrival, but have a good day!

BlueRobin
2nd Apr 2003, 17:29
Acquiring new a/c a week after the fly-in so can't make it unless there's a lift going.

AerBabe never showed me her TATTOO! :p :ooh:

Kolibear
2nd Apr 2003, 18:26
Actually, phnuff, Aerbabe was balancing on one leg, trying to show me her tattoo, in the Luton Airport Station carpark when you arrived. The fact I was waving my arms up & down was because I was gettin cold. :O

Standing on one leg and hopping about is also her impersonation of a x-wind landing too!

Brooklands
2nd Apr 2003, 20:14
I've got a copy on CD of the wonderful video of glacier flying that Aerobatic Flyer mentioned in the thread on glacier flying Here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82810&perpage=15&pagenumber=2)

Unfortunately I don't have a laptop computer that can play it, but if somebody else has one they can bring along I'll bring the CD with me - the video is about ten minutes long and absolutely brilliant

Brooklands

TheKentishFledgling
3rd Apr 2003, 00:15
Blue Robin.....

Acquiring new a/c a week after the fly-in so can't make it unless there's a lift going

Is the one discussed at length at "the other place"?

tKF

MikeSamuel
3rd Apr 2003, 05:06
I no longer have a lift so...
Is anyone passing anywhere near Coventry en-route? I'll pay your landing fees if you would drop in for me! There's plenty of runway! And tea! And Yorkies!

knobbygb
3rd Apr 2003, 15:16
MikeSamuel - I can offer half a lift - I'm passing 30 miles or so to the east. Probably a bit far off track on the way down - I want to get there fairly early and my field doesn't open until 09:30.

If you get a lift there, I could definatley drop you off on the way home - I was looking for somewhere different to stop off. PM me if required.

Ace Rimmer
3rd Apr 2003, 18:43
Sadly the fly-in will be a Rimmer-free zone VL remains prop-less (only a month after it was supposed to back from overhaul) :(

LowNSlow
3rd Apr 2003, 19:10
There's still a spare seat in the LowNSlow Auster leaving from the St. Albans / Luton / Hitchen Triangle if anybody wants a lift

rustle
3rd Apr 2003, 19:23
...and we have 4 spare seats from Blackbushe.

(Assuming the Duxford asphalt is open and the weather's okay)

BRL
3rd Apr 2003, 19:34
Bad news from here too. I will be unable to attend now. I have got a ticket to the Man Utd Vs Liverpool game on sat.(Liverpool being my beloved team) Big game this for those of you who know your footy and I really can't turn down the chance of seeing the reds hammer the scum again... :)

Hope to see some of you at the bash in London in May. Have fun and safe flying.
Paul.

Kolibear
3rd Apr 2003, 20:06
BRL!! Thats the most feeble excuse I've ever heard for missing a fly-in!

Going back to page 3 of this thread, it says that Duxford closes at 4:00pm. If thats correct, its going to be very busy from 3:30 onwards. rustle - can you confirm the closing times please.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Apr 2003, 20:26
If in doubt, phone up.

I just did, last departure on Saturday will be 1745 local.

G

knobbygb
3rd Apr 2003, 20:26
The AIP says 1600 winter, 1700 summer. I was assuming that meant 1600z all year, so 1700 local this weekend. May be wrong. [was, see above]

BRL, being from the BLUE half of Manchester, I hope you give the scum a throughly good thrashing Saturday. Leaving a couple of their 'stars' with broken legs would not be a bad outcome. Come on, If we can take 4 points from them, you can take all 6!

rustle
3rd Apr 2003, 22:41
Just spoken to Duxford airfield management (1640L 3rd April)

The hard runway will be open for business on Saturday :)

HURRAH!

DamienB
3rd Apr 2003, 23:11
LowNSlow - if you've got room for moi + camera bag and that seat's still available, PM me.

LowNSlow
3rd Apr 2003, 23:28
Sorry DamienB but crossedcontrols beat you to it by a whisker. Hopefully still see you at Duxford though?

rustle
3rd Apr 2003, 23:42
MikeSamuel we can pick you up from Coventry if it is any use? PM me if you still need a ride.

I think your lift home is sorted.

Cheers

DamienB
4th Apr 2003, 02:19
LowNSlow - never mind! If the weather's nice I'll be there, got a new camera to try out...

charlie-india-mike
4th Apr 2003, 03:57
Help!!!

I too no longer have a lift. Anyone with a spare seat from around the Bedfordshire/Bucks area with a spare seat or maybe 2 so Mrs C-I-M can come along too.

C-I-M

Whirlybird
4th Apr 2003, 04:01
Looks like I can make it after all! :D :ok: I'll be arriving late morning from Halfpenny Green, with Pilotwolf.

OK, I just trawled through all 11 pages of this thread to find out when and where we're meeting. And I still don't know. :eek: Look folks, Duxford is BIG. If we actually want to see each other as opposed to just having a nice day out, we need to decide. Or if you have, and I missed it, please let me know. So, when/where...?

2Donkeys
4th Apr 2003, 04:52
My Daughter, Vintage ATCO and I will be coming all the way from Cranfield with Charlie India Mike and Mrs Charlie India Mike on board too.

ETA around 10:30ish

Genghis the Engineer
4th Apr 2003, 05:54
Whirly has a point. Clearly many of us will recognise each other anyway, but could I suggest a general meet in the restaurant at, say 1230 local?

We'll no doubt be at the tables full of people with flying jackets over the backs of their chairs :O

G

rustle
4th Apr 2003, 14:01
Whirlybird, GtE, I think you need a finer net for your trawling expeditions ;)

I refer me learned friends to my post, dated 15th March 2003, wherein we agreed the following:

Most people seem to be planning to arrive about 10 ish, so I suspect we'll meet in an orderly queue at the pay-point ;)

Failing that, we suggested the USAF Museum around noon-ish.

All times local.

Thrifty van Rental
4th Apr 2003, 14:50
Rustle

A quick look at the Hangar page suggests that most are arriving a little later than 10ish. 11ish would probably be closer to the mark.

How about in and around the control tower at around 11? I am still hoping to get there by road. PROB40 at the moment.

FlyingForFun
4th Apr 2003, 14:55
Spare seat

Things are changing so fast, I can't keep up with who needs a lift and who doesn't! Anyway, since BRL has dropped out I have a spare seat from White Waltham - anyone needing a ride, please PM me by 5pm local time today (Friday). Give me a mobile number if possible, so that we can sort out details after I leave work tonight. Please don't e-mail me, since I can't read my private e-mail from my office, so I won't get your message in time!

Meeting up

I know quite a few of the people going. If you don't know anyone and you'd like to meet up with me when you arrive, PM me and I'll reply with my mobile number. Again, please don't e-mail me, because I can't read my e-mails from the office.

All we need now is some good weather! Forecast not looking too good - the latest TAFs are as follows:

LONDON LUTON EGGW 040405Z 041206 30008KT 9999 SCT018 BKN040 BECMG 1922 BKN012 BECMG 2224 6000 BR BKN006 TEMPO 0006 3500 BKN003

LONDON/STANSTED EGSS 040405Z 041206 30008KT 9999 SCT020 BKN040 BECMG 1921 BKN013 BECMG 2224 6000 BR BKN006 TEMPO 0006 4000 BKN004

Let's hope the mist clears by mid-morning!

FFF
--------------

AerBabe
4th Apr 2003, 15:03
What if we're going but don't want to meet up with you? :p
I'm with Thrifty - let's meet around the control tower at 11am local.
Ditto the mobile thing... PM me any time tonight for my number.

FlyingForFun
4th Apr 2003, 15:07
If you don't want to meet up with me, don't PM me - simple!

Except that I've already got your mobile number, and I know what you look like. You can't hide from me. So there! :p

FFF
-------------

rustle
4th Apr 2003, 15:45
Thrifty van Rental, where are you based - do you want a lift?

MikeSamuel, can you confirm if you need a lift?

==========

Ditto the mobile thing here too - PM me and I'll give you Mike's (mrcross) mobile number :D

Whirlybird
4th Apr 2003, 15:51
That's OK for all you southerners! I have an hour and a half drive followed by an hour and a half flight; my (optimistic) ETA is 11.30 local (allowing for aircraft checks etc). So just to confuse matters; I'll look for you all around the control tower, but probably want lunch at 12.30 anyway, so I'll meet Genghis there, if no-one else. And Aerbabe, I might ring you and find out where everyone is.

Thrifty van Rental
4th Apr 2003, 16:19
Rustle

Its a long story, but I am rostered for a night stop in London tonight. However, as is often the case, I currently don't know for sure which aircraft I am due to take back home to la belle France.

Thanks for the offer, but I think road will be easier this time. Hertz do us a good deal :D

Thrifty

MikeSamuel
4th Apr 2003, 16:39
rustle and knobby - Would love to take up your lift offers :)

What's your ETA at Coventry rustle? I've PM'd you my mobile number if you want to keep me informed...

Knobby - Are we still on for the trip home? Again, check your PMs

With a bit of luck, see you all there!

MS ;)

FlyingForFun
4th Apr 2003, 16:48
Fly Stimulator - I have tried to reply to your PM, but your message box is full. Please clear some messages out, then PM me again.

FFF
---------------

FlyingForFun
4th Apr 2003, 17:57
Both the Luton and Stanstead 18-hour TAFs are now reporting BECMG 0710 9999 SCT020 - so it's looking good, even if an early start is unlikely!

FFF
---------------

AerBabe
4th Apr 2003, 18:12
Oi, stop jinxing the weather! I've had a word with Velvet, and she always provides sunshine for her little sister on important occasions, so all will be fine. Trust.

rustle
4th Apr 2003, 18:16
MikeSamuel just left a message on your mobile (I think :O )

The landing fee at Coventry may make a taxi to Duxford look cheap ;)

FNG
4th Apr 2003, 18:18
I hope to be there around 12ish, but have to go to Rochester first to collect TKF, so depends on morning mist clearing (which can be slow at Waltham)

rustle
4th Apr 2003, 20:58
I have sent the fax to Duxford, so don't bother updating anything else on the fly in page :)

35 aircraft were on the list, see you all there!

LowNSlow
5th Apr 2003, 03:09
OK so it's control tower around 11:00ish and / or muncherama at 12:00 ish. Isn't precision a wonderful thing!

See y'all there :D :D

DBChopper
5th Apr 2003, 05:37
:(

Sorry folks from a PPRuNe new boy, but I have to cancel at the last minute. Apparently some people plan to march around the West End tomoroow shouting about stuff and waving banners, so that's the day off cancelled for both myself and my passenger! :*

I've just seen that the finalised list has been sent off, so it's too late for me to amend, but there will be no show from the R22 G-RSWW. Best wishes to all who do go - I hope the weather holds and I hope to meet you at another venue in the future.

DBChopper
:cool:

Kolibear
6th Apr 2003, 03:04
Well, what a great day out!! Mrs Kolibear & I met eveepee at North Weald and once we'd found the keys, took off into clear blue skies for the short trip up to Duxford.

The circuit was quite busy, enough for a quick demo of the Koliber's slow-flight characteristics as the preceeding aircraft cleared the runway onto the grass.

We met LownSlow, CIM, vintageATCO, rod1, rustle, mike samuels and others whose names I've forgotten, at the tower. During the day, we bumped into Aerbabe, FFF, Genghis, flower, Whirly, Prune Towers (thanks for the badges), Evo, Wycombe, 140Cherokee among others.

A Mustang did quick flypast before landing and parking between a P-47 & the Koliber.

We left just after 4:00 and landed back at North Weald in perfect sunshine., where we joined Rallye Driver in a quick pint before heading off home.

It was an excellent day and we are looking forward to the next one

flower
6th Apr 2003, 03:50
My first ever PPRuNe Fly In and I loved it, sorry if i didn't get the chance to speak to everyone but I had a great time.

Thanks very much to GAZCZ for letting me hitch a ride, I hope my RT and navigational skills made life a little easier for you. I don't know when I will get the chance to join another Fly In as I don't fly, but should the opportunity ariseI will be there.

PS yes Barney I should learn !!

Barney_Gumble
6th Apr 2003, 04:22
Told ya you should learn Flower

Yep lovely wx and a great day. Thanks to HelenD for getting us there in excellent fashion with good nav and R/T and Mr HelenD for spotting that opposite direction warrior that we missed :O

Good luck with your safety pilot training :ok:

Nice to meet those that I did and see you again soon.

Cheers Barney

Genghis the Engineer
6th Apr 2003, 04:39
Likewise, a thoroughly pleasant day out, great to see everybody. Thanks for Keef for having a word with his Boss about the weather, whoever suggested Duxford for a thoroughly good idea, Evo for keeping me out of Luton CTA after neither of us had noticed my DI had gone U/S on the way back - and for the pleasure of his company on both flights.

I've got some nice photos, but I'll post them on the other thread since somebody's started one for the purpose.

G

Shaggy Sheep Driver
6th Apr 2003, 04:55
Super day! Manged to visit all the hangars, and the Red Chippy wafted us effortlessly from and back to Barton, despite some grotty viz in the east midlands.

Pity about Duxford's practice of promoting local traffic in the take off queue to queue-jump visiting aircraft (this they confirmed when I was peed off enough after a mega hold at the hold to query it on the RT). Ooop north we treat visitors better that that.

Super day, none the less. Genhgis (who's identity was not at the time known to me) - sorry to presume you might be a waiter when you metioned you wear a bow tie to work. I kenw it unlikely you were a gynacologist, and had no idea that engineers went about so-clad ;~))

SSD

AerBabe
6th Apr 2003, 05:10
ARGH - how did I manage to miss you again SSD???? :{

Shaggy Sheep Driver
6th Apr 2003, 05:49
Don't think you did, AB. You (I think??) asked about Concorde's tail bumper while we all stood near the pre-production one in the first hangar; I said production ones have a tailwheel and therefore, as I always knew, Concorde is a real aeroplane ;~))

SSD

HelenD
6th Apr 2003, 05:54
Thanks everyone for a great day. I wasnt quite expecting to have to do a diversion but between us we managed.
Thanks Barney for the lift it was great flyingwith you.
It was good to see PPRuNe Towers there hope you enjoyed it too. hope to see everyone soon

140cherokee
6th Apr 2003, 17:30
Thanks to all for a great day out. Excellent place with super weather. Sorry didn't get to meet everyone.

Perfect end to the day taxiing behind Mustang to the hold (oddly, he didn't turn his back to the crowd to do his power checks. I would like to have seen that!).

Where's next? Duxford's going to be difficult to beat.

Whirlybird
6th Apr 2003, 19:59
Fantastic weather (if fairly hazy on the way back) and a great day out. Nice to meet all of you, even if I did keep losing you, and some of you I never managed to meet at all. And now I'll be able to recognise a B whatever-it-was next time won't I? :D

I think we should do it again, fairly soon, and further north. In fact, I'm going to start a thread about it, right now!

BRL
7th Apr 2003, 00:51
Good to see all the pictures from the fly-in. Glad you all had a great day unlike myself who was crying into my beer about 1400. Next time I have a decision like that to make I must remind myself not to use the double-headed coin........ :{ :ugh: :{ :ugh:

Saab Dastard
7th Apr 2003, 00:56
Great day out!

My first P1 since getting my licence, so very special. :D Made it there and back - and they can re-use the aeroplane!

Nice meeting you all - some for the first time, some again. Now I am starting to put (Pprune) names to faces and posts which will make it a lot easier next time.

Whirly - you didn't half make me laugh when you said "what's a B-17?" when asked to park next to it! Maybe you should watch the film "Memphis Belle" sometime soon ;)

Cheers

SD

PS, forgot to say BRL - are you sure you made the right choice? :p

AerBabe
7th Apr 2003, 01:06
Maybe it was Whirly's response which led the nice man in the tower to tell Kingy and I, who were next in, to park next to 'two Cherokees'. Somehow that was a little lacking in romance. ;)

SSD - I remember you, I just didn't realise it was 'you'. I don't think FFF believed us when we told him the Concorde had a tail skid. Mind you, I'm not entirely sure he'd recognise a concorde... :p Please please please can I drool over your chippy at the next fly-in? Third time lucky!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Apr 2003, 02:03
I don't think Whirls will ever live that one down. I must admit to xmitting "and i DO know what a B17 is" when directed to park twixt it and Whilrey's Robbo. Sorry Whirls ;~))

Drool away, AB. Especially over the front end - it might wash off some of the oil that all Chippies coat themselves in :~)

SSD

Whirlybird
7th Apr 2003, 02:32
It's OK Shaggy Sheep Driver; I've lived down worse in my time. :D I actually figured out what aircraft it must be by a process of elimination; everything else was recognisable as a fairly ordinary GA type. But I wanted to ask if I was in the right place before I shut down, since helicopters are a ****** to start up and shut down, it takes ages, and I had a feeling I was supposed to be east or west of it and couldn't remember which. And I was also making a point...fancy expecting a rotary pilot to know about planks!!!!!!!! :eek: Trouble is, the guy in the tower knew who I was, and my "I'm only a helicopter pilot" (Aerbabe, it was obviously sarcasm; he got it, even if you didn't) didn't work. How come everyone knows me?

Archard
7th Apr 2003, 06:15
In contrast to the above, the four of us never actually got to meet another PPRuNer! However, we all had a thoroughly enjoyable day and eventually left at 17:10. It would be interesting to hear if this only applied to us, or did any others not meet another PPRuNer?!

Thanks for a great day out.

rustle
7th Apr 2003, 15:03
Excellent day out, met a few I knew already and a few I didn't - although that was after several walks to the three organised meeting points :p

Fortunately Duxford is a very interesting place to wander around and kill a few hours...

For anyone listening-in to the RT when we arrived: I do know the difference between an Aztec and a C421 :rolleyes:

The viz on the way home was interesting - anyone else headed south-west out of Duxford?

Stampe
7th Apr 2003, 15:41
Archad similar experience though met 4 ppruners as I was pre-flighting to leave, arrived at 1130 slightly late and left at 1430 went to the wrong restaurant as we didn,t know there were 3.Also met two more when back at base!!.Pity we didn,t meet !!lack of central focus. I believe there were some 20 aircraft in from Pprune but with most of us not actually meeting each other!!.Still we got a slight alleviation from the normal extortionate Duxford landing and entry fees and the AFISO was almost helpful, catering as was to be expected from the IWM expensive and uninspiring.Future venues need to be smaller ,focused and cheaper.

AerBabe
7th Apr 2003, 16:07
No excuses for not managing to find us. FlyingForFun and I both offered up our mobile numbers. :p
But yes, once we'd met up, despite the fact there was a huge crowd of us, it was easy to lose people again.

Wycombe
7th Apr 2003, 16:13
It's a pity that it sounds like some of you didn't meet up with the main gang at all. At least there's plenty to look at - seemed quite surreal in the American museum to be looking at a Tomahawk, Patriot, Scud and a section of Iraqi supergun.

When Brooklands and I arrived in G-TAAL at about 1150L, there was a large Pprune gaggle near the tower, so we latched onto them...I guess it helped that we know a few faces from the previous fly-in's.

Rustle - we headed west-ish from Duxford at about 1615L, and the viz was pretty rotten as you say. Tracked WCO in the GPS (via Henlow overhead) to keep us clear of Luton - got much better after we turned S for Wycombe at Wing.

Good to see so many of you again and to meet Rob (Towers).

Cheers

knobbygb
7th Apr 2003, 16:19
As someone who'd not met anyone before, Aerbabe's bright red T-shirt was a good 'meeting point' when one had wondered off.

I managed to go the whole day without asking the dreaded "Are you a Ppruner?" question, but was surprised just how many times I was asked (at least 5). Perhaps some prune badges/T-shirts would be a good idea next time?

Whirlybird
7th Apr 2003, 16:26
knobby, I always wear my PPRuNe Tshirt to bashes; didn't anyone notice? Probably not, it was a bit cold and I had my jacket on most of the time. We need to go somewhere smaller and have a definite meeting place, that's all.

The vis going home - north-west from Duxford - was crap, technically speaking. We had a GPS with low batteries in the R22, so having established that our heading seemed to be working, we switched on the GPS now and then to get a quick view of whether we were were we thought we were, before it went off again. Interesting method of navigation, but it seemed to work just fine.

eveepee
7th Apr 2003, 17:52
A great day out thanks (Again!) to Kolibear , even though it was touch and go when the keys went missing temporarily before we'd even left N Weald ! I must also thank him for answering, for the hundreth time, "Whatsthatplanethen?"

It was good to meet so many Ppruners too. Also thanks to Gengis for supplying interesting "techie" knowledge, some of which even I understood ! Thanks to Aerbabe for the hug and to Whirly using the viz description in her last post....."crap"....now that I did understand!!:D

Kolibear willing...hopefully see you all again at the next Fly-In.

Kolibear
7th Apr 2003, 19:44
We (Mrs K, eveepee & I) left at about 16:15ish and the vis. as we tracked over Barkway was 'poor', cloud down to about 2200. But we popped out from under it shortly after and it was a blue dome back at North Weald. I let eveepee map-read home and even though she was in the back seat, she did manage to follow our progress.

Then we copied Rallye Driver by having a pint, watching the red jets going past, in the sun, under a blue sky. What could be better?

It was a very good day.

FlyingForFun
7th Apr 2003, 20:47
Eve,Kolibear willing...hopefully see you all again at the next Fly-InWhat do you mean? You'll have your own license by then, won't you? Think positive! :D

FFF
--------------

Barney_Gumble
8th Apr 2003, 20:59
I was just reading my copy of AOPA's GA mag and the Duxford Fly-In is listed as a forthcoming UK & Ireland Event!!

The date is wrong, but the thought was there.