PDA

View Full Version : URGENT ££££££££££ HELP

J32 8069
11th Jan 2002, 04:33
At present I have 110hrs ppl,night and Imc I wentto the Bank of Scotland today to try and get a career development loan for 30-40K to complete everything I need to do ATPL&MCC etc but no luck at all, all they can do is around 10k.
If anyone has any advise at all that would be great as im completly stuck what to do im only 20 so havent worked long enough to build up that sort of money.

FRIDAY
11th Jan 2002, 05:54
I am curious as to why its so urgent for you?
There is nothing that will raise that sort of cash other then hard grafting work,there is nothing unique or special about your case so my advice is get the finger out and earn it. In the long run it would be better then having to pay a hefty loan back afer training completion, that should be the least of your worries. But if it can't wait,I suggest you get a job as a north sea crab fisherman for there peak time approx 3 months it will pay average £50:000 but chances our you will not survive to spend it, such is life.

doug
11th Jan 2002, 08:26
Dont give up! Follow your dreams but be smart about it.
Is there any way you can start working for an aviation company and then claim your flying as a tax deduction - that way you get something back at the end of the financial year. Gets some advice from a tax agent about your country's tax deduction laws.

Otherwise think about where you can get more for your flying dollar - take into consideration exchange rates etc.

The other option is get yourself a job that may be difficult but pays well. I did labouring to pay for my qualifications and completed the theory on my own. Work during the day and study at night.
So think about where you can save dollars and then convert the $$$'s into flying.
Dont get yourself into debt early in your life because aviation has burned many people. Always have a back-up.
Brgds
Doug

The Boy Lard
11th Jan 2002, 11:19
Heavy,

If you are really really desperate to start then have a look in the Wannabes archive and look for threads about the HSBC Post Graduate and Professional Studies Loan.

They will loan the whole course fees plus up to 60% of your previous years salary and I found them exceptionally easy to work with. (Subject to substantial security of course!!!)

Good luck

TBL

davidpowell
11th Jan 2002, 11:53
Heavy Flyer. Whatever you do, get a job FIRST. Do not get a loan for anything unless you have a guaranteed method of paying it back. Looking at the various flight forums, I can't see any hope currently of walking into a job flying with no experience/contacts.
You are a young person living in the south east right? Take some advice, I have been contracting in IT for over 13 years, and thats where you want to be looking for work in the shorter term. Like most area's of employment right now, things are slow even in IT, but, if you are prepared to travel for work (and London must be close for you), it is there. Even calldesk staff are earning @20K per year with little/no IT training. Use a role like that to help fund your flying, and PLEASE don't get loans for anything you can't pay back within 6 months or so.

Wireless
11th Jan 2002, 12:11
Heavy Flyer,

I needed to earn money for flying so I did my H.G.V. licence. I take home around £380-£400 a week. I'm out all week so I spend about £15 on food! There is tons of work available as there is a national shortage of drivers. You do need to be 21 though and the training will cost about £1200, but you can use your CDL to pay for it, and you can pay it back in a month!

O.K. it isn't glamorous but many good jobs take a while to get into, but you can start this fairly quickly and earn some cash whilst having a little adventure!

Pstar

londonlad
11th Jan 2002, 12:28
Ok-my 2p worth. I have many friends who are temping in the city for like £12-25p.h. Go via an agency register yourself as a contractor and cream the banks and financial institutions who don't care how many hours you do. A few people I know are doing 60 hrs per week and creaming near £1000 a week plus. Respectable job, white collor (maybe ever career progression). Can't go wrong. Errrr.....north sea fisherman?? £50,000 in 3 months? Send me the application please!

davidpowell
11th Jan 2002, 13:03
Gangsta,

I shy'd away from actually suggesting contracting because of the limited company/IR35 implications (I work with some guys who have been absolutely devastated financially because of IR35 but that's for another Forum!) Anyhow, I think the message is the same - get a job!

Quidditch Captain
11th Jan 2002, 15:54
Don't be put off contracting by IR35.
Its just another tax scenario that needs to be managed and there's plenty of advice out there to assist you.
(...and no, I don't personally agree with IR35!)

With apologies to whom the above is gobbledegook.
Now - back to aviation.....

Lee Palmers
11th Jan 2002, 18:19
You could try getting a job at your nearest airport as a baggage handler. Thats what I did. It pays about 14k per annum, shift work, which is 4 on, 4 off, thus giving you plenty of time to fly/study.

You also get to meet good contacts. I knew only a couple of pilots when I started, now I know loads. Most have their own planes and take me up every so often. That has to be a bonus, some even allow me to jump ride down to Spain etc.

Better than a loan anyday......

SPEEDBIRD5FP
11th Jan 2002, 23:05
HAVE YOU TRIED A CAREERS EXPANSION LOAN FROM HSBC

Si
12th Jan 2002, 00:51
I got a 35K Professional Studies Loan from HSBC, they were really good, i was only 19 at the time as well.

If you want any details contact me!