PDA

View Full Version : R/T Procedure for ATZ within a MATZ.

gingernut
6th Dec 2002, 16:00
Can anyone clarify the procedure for flying through an ATZ whilst recieving RIS from a MATZ?

Should I request a leave from the MATZ to obtain FIS from the ATZ, or will MATZ RIS clear me through automatically?

I'm thinking specifically of overflying Sleap whilst talking to Shawbury.

Any opinions gratefully recieved.

FlyingForFun
6th Dec 2002, 16:06
First of all, the fact that you're getting the RIS from a MATZ station isn't relevant. Sleap isn't in the Shawbury MAZT, it's next to it, and the procedure would be exactly the same if you were getting a service (even a FIS) from a non-military station.

That aside, yes, you're quite right. Just say something like "G-CD request change to Sleap on (whatever their frequency is) to transit their ATZ, will return to you when clear of their zone."

There's actually no need to specify that you're going to return to Shawbury, but it's nice to let them know - they'll probably let you retain your squawk if they know you're coming back to them in a few minutes.

Have fun!

FFF
-----------------

gingernut
6th Dec 2002, 16:36
Thanks, that seems straightforward enough.

BlueLine
7th Dec 2002, 17:29
Not sure which map F4F is looking at, but 60% of the Sleap ATZ is inside the Shawbury MATZ.

The RIS is from a LARS not a MATZ! Why fly so low that the ATZ is an issue? if you are just transiting the area it makes far more sense to fly above the ATZ, which is put there to safeguard the traffic patern from transit traffic.

Before you can transit any ATZ you must contact the ATSU to obtain permission from ATC, or traffic information from AFIS before entering. Rules of the Air!

poetpilot
7th Dec 2002, 17:47
Why fly so low? Well maybe it's just as well to be prepared to have to fly low if you are limited to VFR. Even if you're higher, you'd want to know the procedure in case for any reason you had to fly lower.

I always call up Shawbury in any case, usually requesting a FIS. Quite a few people do, even when it's closed (calling "traffic" & stating their position & intentions - yeah, I know, not procedure but so many do it...). Helps to know where there are others around, 'specially with a VOR in the area (& attendant risk of converging traffic on the beacon).

Beethoven
8th Dec 2002, 03:52
Just say "g-abcd request frequency change to sleap on ****decimal* for atz transit" and take it from there.I am sure they will tell you whether to stay with them or not.Remember,if you have negotiated an FIS from them and they know you are entering their MATZ,then they will inform you if it is not necessary.
Best wishes,
Beethoven

FlyingForFun
8th Dec 2002, 16:22
BlueLine, you are quite correct, Sleap is inside that MATZ! I was working from memory. That's not my local area, and I've only flown there once - and that was at a weekend when there was no one at Shawbury. At least, that's my excuse and I'm sticking too it! :D

FFF
------------

Dusty_B
8th Dec 2002, 21:20
The RIS is from a LARS not a MATZ!

A RIS is available from anyone with a RADAR screen in front of them... LARS is mearly a 'contracted' service that is made available to GA during published hours from selected units.
Benson, Gloucester and Birmingham all provide Radar services, but they ain't LARS units.

DB6
8th Dec 2002, 21:57
Generally if you want to penetrate an ATZ within a MATZ you will talk to the Tower frequency for that ATZ (rather than Approach/LARS/whatever) and you would normally be advised when to do so by the Approach controller. However if you plan to overfly the ATZ then staying with App. would be appropriate as they will be coordinating with Twr. If you don't plan to land at the airfield within the ATZ then it's best to plan not to have to enter the ATZ in the first place.

BlueLine
9th Dec 2002, 20:43
Dusty B

In this case the RIS comes from a LARS, in others it may differ, but it will never come from a MATZ!

englishal
10th Dec 2002, 08:02
There is diffinitely something to be said for "Flight Following"....

:D
EA