PDA

View Full Version : Aerospace Engineering college courses and becoming a professional pilot.........

nosefirsteverytime
10th Jan 2002, 22:28
Advantage or waste of time?
I want to train for being a professional Freight dog, but I'm not sure about passing my meddie, so just in case I'll go for a course in college. Would a degree in Aerospace Engineering help with Piloting jobs, or would it be a waste of time for a pilot?

Matthewjharvey
10th Jan 2002, 23:48
IJ

I did an Aeronautical Engineering degree at Imperial College, London. Must say that alot of it is irrelevant to flying an aircraft but when it comes to theory such as aerodynamics/principles of flight etc it makes what many people think is tricky look really basic when it comes to sitting the JAR's. However is it worth wasting 4 years to get this knowledge. I believe so, it does look pretty good on a CV and of course if something happens to the airline industry or you lose your medical it does give you something to fall back on. Be warned that this subject is extremely difficult and the drop out rates are very high.

Good Luck

nosefirsteverytime
11th Jan 2002, 02:58
Thanks!
I'll defenitely stick with engineering or something like that.....
A language'd be useful as well, right? (French'd be useful for aid work in Africa, but I dunno about Irish Gealic....)

(corrected to fix typos!)

[ 10 January 2002: Message edited by: Indimanana Jones ]</p>