PDA

View Full Version : Ireland - Canada ECP

PM686
5th Dec 2002, 08:49
Hi

Am currently working in ireland, considering move to canada under the experienced controller program.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Would especially appreciate info. on property,cars, health and insurance, child and education benefits etc etc

Thanks in advance

pm686

rbaron
5th Dec 2002, 16:21
Well, where to start! Canada is a great country, fairly laid back with no major international/political agendas. Each province is very different from the next, with a pretty neat mix of cultures intermingled with a sprinkling of red-necks. Either coast seems to find the most colourful mix of cultures and immigrants from all corners of the world, whereas inland areas tend to suppress differences and be more of the "small-town" mentality. Having said that, I have lived all over Northern Canada and I love it (but I'm also from here).
Climate also varies in the extreme from region to region and summer to winter. Any particular area you might be posted? If the answer is no, you can bet they will stick you in the far north until you gain experience.
Living expenses can be high both in the far north and the major cities, but that really depends again on the location.
Taxes in this country are horrendous. Unless you are a tax wiz with a talent for finding write-offs, you can expect to give the government half of your income. This is not necessarily going to ensure you get the full return value in benefits either! No-one is really sure what the government does with all our money and they seem to spend it as fast as they can get it. There is a pretty good health and welfare system here, chances are you won't be left out in the cold if you fall ill. Having said that, the government seems to have an insatiable thirst for money and budget cuts in health care and benefits seems to be a favorite place to get more cash.
From what I know of Ireland, I think I would really love it there, but have insufficient direct knowledge of the place to provide a comparison for you. Perhaps someone else will respond with an Irish slant on the subject.
Dunno if this helps, but good luck!
Cheers,
rbaron

gordonzola
5th Dec 2002, 18:36
i lived there 15 years,great place ,loved it but better in Europe for pilots.I knew some controllers there they had a good lifestyle,there is loads of space and houses are actually big enough to live in.Taxes will be less than Ireland but not much. You will probably have a little more disposable income but not much. Canadians are very friendly unless you light up in a public place! You will need warm clothes!

Panama Jack
5th Dec 2002, 21:54
Rbaron-- to help you out a bit, about a billion of our tax dollars went into a $2 million dollar gun registration program.