PDA

View Full Version : Canada

PM686
5th Dec 2002, 08:35
Thinking of moving to Canada on the Experienced Controller Program.

Does anyone have any info. on the practical side of life over there.

Would welcome news on property,cars,insurance,child and education benefits, health system etc.

Any practical info would be most welcome.

thanks 686

5th Dec 2002, 14:49
What exactly is " The experienced controller program" ??

PM686
5th Dec 2002, 16:19
Experienced Controller Program is the process whereby experienced and currently rated controllers from abroad are employed by navcan, subject to usual requirements.

Llamapoo
5th Dec 2002, 16:30
I moved over in July (not as a controller though). In a nutshell, and as someone who moved from the south of England, it's all good.

I sold my 2 bed flat for substantially more than the fully-detached house with 3 bedrooms, finished basement, swimming pool, two-car garage and large garden I bought over here. For comparison purposes, a Subaru Impreza WRX is $35000 over here, versus 32k pounds in England. Petrol is currently about 63 cents a litre, versus whatever it is in England. And all this with an exchange rate of $2.4/pound. I put down 35% on my house and still have enough left over to buy everything outright.

The downside is unexpected but extremely frustrating. I stayed in a hotel for the first week I was here and as a consequence couldn't open a bank account because I didn't have an address. I found a place to stay that didn't require a bank account, but then had to get someone to send me a utility bill with my name on it. Of course no one will sign you up because you don't have any history. Credit ratings also do not cross the Atlantic, so buying furniture or cars or getting credit cards can be entertaining. And you will NEED a car!

As far as health care goes, the same complaints are levelled against the system in Canada as in England. Assuming you do the immigration thing and have all your papers in order for when you arrive, you have to wait 3 months to join the health system. Buy visitors health insurance BEFORE you leave Ireland. I tore all the ligaments in my ankle on my second weekend here (football - that figures!) and couldn't get treatment for it.

Things are generally cheaper here, although they give you a lot of control on exactly what you are getting. So with banks, they will charge you for all your transactions, but you can sign up for loads of different plans to reduce that cost.

I don't know about education, but I know that the rubbish English system of paying for tuition, etc. at University has been in place for ages over here. That said, you can buy into a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) to build up a sum of money (although be careful, because some of them are only redeemable with a University you choose when you take out the policy).

There are few pensions as such. But you can contribute to an RRSP up to 13.5% of your salary. Don't cash in your Irish pension - it'll be a good source of income in later life (in addition to your RRSP).

Controllers generally get well above the national average salary, and, as I understand it, even get above a Toronto average salary.

That's all I can think of now. In summary though, I don't regret moving over here. The people are great, I love the snow and the sun (all year round, although in the summer the temp frequently exceeded 35 deg C) and people seem to appreciate your skills and work (likewise, they'll not give you something for nothing). I didn't want to look back and think that I shouldn've done it.

EuroATC
5th Dec 2002, 17:21
where are you working Llamapoo

PM686
5th Dec 2002, 17:37
Thats really great advice, thanks a mill.

Llamapoo
5th Dec 2002, 18:26
I was with NATS (never a controller, eyesight too bad, their loss:rolleyes: ). I got fed up with the government and management (UK and NATS respectively) and left to come to Canada.

NavCanada weren't hiring the likes of me, so I am now employed by a consultancy in a place called Guelph, about 60 miles west of Toronto (and I suspect underneath one of those long, straight in approaches you get over here).:D

Radar
5th Dec 2002, 18:49
Llamapoo,

Nice part of the world. Got a brother living a bit further north in Mount Forest. For anyone who does a bit of light aircraft flying it's a real paradise, thousands of square miles of uncontrolled airspace, low rental rates, no landing fees, great people ...... :)

But... I digress. PM686, be careful you're not jumping from the frying pan into the fire. NavCanada have a less than glowing reputation as an employer. Duty cycle length and rest periods have been a cause for concern (I believe). No doubt about it though, it's a fantastic country.

Best of luck with the move, if you decide to go. Slan, a chara.

BH23Changer
5th Dec 2002, 19:27
Llamapoo, is it really that long since you left. You're still the only Honoury ATCO that ever graced HF. Still looking forward to the PTT getting off the ground. Enjoy the winter.

Regards from the south coast

Canoehead
5th Dec 2002, 19:37
Yes of course, Canada ia a great place. Big, very big. If you speak French, you will probably work in Montreal or Ottawa. If not, I believe Edmonton and Winnipeg are hurting the most in terms of staffing, (although we all are). And, I understand you need to be IFR rated to get in.
Your new employer, Nav Canada, puts on a brave face, has a suberb public relations machine, and puts out wonderful glossy brochures. Yet almost all its employees find fault with the company, which will try to squeeze the lemon dry. (sound familiar?)
As for money, it depends at what level they hire you. After close to 25 years I find that I can live very comfortably, take vacations, and not live pay to pay. Many of us own a place in the country in addition to our city house. Someone just starting out may have to wait a few years.
I've had the opportunity to work elsewhere, but have chosen to stay here. Although winters are brutal, months of solid fog are no fun either. And from May to October, the weather here is a sweet as anywhere else.
Good luck with your decision.

Scott Voigt
6th Dec 2002, 03:02
Don't forget to tell him that Winnepeg was -2 c yesterday as a high <G>... That pool makes a fine hockey rink... Speaking of which, Dallas Stars 5 - Montreal 1 last night <BG>...

Enjoy Canada if you make the move...

regards

Llamapoo
6th Dec 2002, 13:39
Thanks Mr BH23 (Changer? Where to? SO postcode?). As Scott says, it's pretty cold here (went outside on Monday morning and my nose hairs froze!!:eek: ). But you pays your money, you takes your chances. It IS sunny though...

Intrepid
7th Dec 2002, 08:06
I too will add my endorsement to making the move to the great white north. I lived in Whistler/Vancouver for twelve months during 94/95 and loved every minute. So much so, I am now in the final stages to moving back there (Edmonton) next year. I have an exam and interview under the experienced controller program in February and if all the study pays off I hope to be back there in July to start.

My question however relates to my immigration visa. It states I must land in Canada before mid March, 2003 to validate the visa. Because I am currently working under an ATC contract which expires in late June 2003 my plan is to have a quick break in Whistler/Edmonton in February and have my visa validated when I arrive in Vancouver. After the my 12 day break I will then leave Canada to finish off my current contract in my present location and if all goes well, get back to Edmonton in July.

Can anyone who has had a similar experience see any holes in my plan with regards to having the visa validated. My main concern is that the immigration officials will tell me I have to stay permanently when I arrive for my holiday. I am familiar with the immigration regulation which states that landed immigrants must stay at least 6 months in Canada in order to keep the visa current however I would like to know if what I propose to do will raise any red flags with the I and N folk at the airport.

YWG ATC
8th Dec 2002, 22:07
Hey Scott,

I wish it was as warm as -2! It's -10 right now (-20 with wind chill!). Scores from last night:

Oilers 4 vs. Panthers 0
Leafs 1 vs. Devils 0
Canadiens 4 vs. Coyotes 2
Senators 5 vs. Hurricanes 2

Only Vancouver let us down.

MarkD
9th Dec 2002, 10:04
Nice to see the Leafs getting their act together after giving everyone a head start :D :D

Canoehead
9th Dec 2002, 23:48
Don't know if I should tell you this, but anyway, here goes..........Do you know why Canadians like to do it doggy-style?.........We can still watch the hockey game!:cool:

Scott Voigt
10th Dec 2002, 04:10
YWG;

The -2 was in F and not C <G>... You don't want to know what sort of bad weather we are having here <G>...

regards

YWG ATC
10th Dec 2002, 04:42
Scott,

I'd trade your Texas weather for mine, anyday, but you can keep your Stars, just give us back the Jets! :D