PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Exams - How Many Sittings?

twistedenginestarter
9th Jan 2002, 15:08
That nice young lady from PPSC sent me a guide to ATPL Distance Learning which clearly said

"The written examinations for the JAA ATPL...are examined through 14 examination papers and the candidate may:

a) choose to split these 14 papers over any number of sittings"

A little further on she says:

"applicants may take up to 6 sittings to complete all 14 papers"

Looking at the notes for Bristol it seems we have gone back to the old max 2 sittings.

Does anybody know what the actual rules are? It's not mentioned on the CAA site. It is obviously much easier to do 6 sittings than 2.

Icarus Wings
9th Jan 2002, 15:37
6 sittings but only 4 attempts at each paper

redsnail
9th Jan 2002, 15:45
You get 4 attempts at each subject with a total of 6 sittings allowed withing 18 months.
A sitting is a 4 day period Mon-Thur.
Bust any of those and it is repeat the 14 exams again. Ouch.

EggBeta
10th Jan 2002, 00:18
Redsnail is again correct

twistedenginestarter
10th Jan 2002, 21:44
So why are Bristol saying this on their website?

[quote]There are fourteen papers to be taken in the ATPL exams. The UK CAA allow the papers to be split into two sittings so that the exams are less intense. The split can be made into two groups of seven papers or into groups of eight papers and six. <hr></blockquote>

Delta Wun-Wun
10th Jan 2002, 23:25
I think you`ll find that`s how they have broken down their Ground School course.This enables you to study for the first eight.Get them sorted and then do the rest of the course for the other six.There is nothing you stopping you spreading out the exams,as long as you attend the two brush up courses which I think is part of the approval required by Cash And Aggro before you sit any of their exams.

MorningGlory
10th Jan 2002, 23:35
Think Delta wun wun is right must be the way Bristol choose to do it.

I finished mine recently and did 6, 4, & 4 in order to make it a little easier and to concentrate on less subjects at each sitting.

I think you should aim at 3 sittings as a max and leave the other 3 incase you need to resit.

Best of luck.