PDA

View Full Version : Imc -

gus_honeybun
4th Dec 2002, 17:57
Evening Squires,

Just wondered what peoples opinion about what type of airfield to use for IMC training? My thoughts are torn between going for a school on an airfield with an all singing, all dancing ILS and NDB going on. Or, to use a school that is technically cheaper, but not based at an airfield to do all the instrument approach type stuff.

Basically, is there any advantage to training at an airport with all the instrument procedures in place.

Oh boy. :rolleyes:

Spitoon
4th Dec 2002, 18:41
Most important thing to look for is how much access the school has to instrument procedures. Most airports that have a beacon (and especially an ILS or SRA) operate some form of booking system.

Be careful that you don't find yourself paying for going around in the hold for hours while you wait to be fitted in for an approach.

andrewc
4th Dec 2002, 18:43
A few advantages on basing at a 'higher spec' field,

1. Increased number of potential approaches / hour.

2. Some fields are picky about non-local training.

3. If its your base, you'll get *very* familiar with its
plates, which is the likely place that you'll be using
your IMC for real.

-- Andrew

Stan Evil
4th Dec 2002, 18:44
The critical question to ask is 'who pays for which approaches?' A school based somewhere with all the kit may have a deal that includes all of the approach fees (not cheap at some places) whereas going to the cheaper place with no kit could get you saddled with lots of exta fees.

bluskis
4th Dec 2002, 19:29
If you will eventually use the rating in anger, some of your let downs and arrivals will have to be at airfields with published procedures, so it is of advantage to become comfortable with operating in that environment.

On the other hand, it may be that most of your use of the rating will be to take advantage of the reduced viz. allowed from your base airfield, in which case probably best to train from there.

FlyingForFun
5th Dec 2002, 08:17
How about doing it at the airfield you're going to fly from most frequently? That way you'll be extremely comfortable with the approach or let-down to your home airfield, which has got to be a crucial factor for actually using the IMC rating.

FFF
--------------

Keef
5th Dec 2002, 15:10
I'd agree with the advice to do it at the place you're going to fly from - assuming that has an approved IAP.

That's the one you're most likely to need to "get home" if you get caught out, and that's the one you want to be most current on.

You need to be sure you can do the published procedure properly: I've recently been vectored all over the place and then dumped where I couldn't complete an ILS anyway - a waste of time and money.

If your examiner is any good, you will go to other places and do other approach types so that you are familiar with them all. I'd hope you'll also do holds, tracking VORs and NDBs, and maybe even DME arcs and the like.

Trouble is - and that's been discussed to death before - there are some instructors who are excellent and prepare you almost to IR standards, and there are others who frankly leave you unsafe to be allowed out in IMC.

I was lucky: I had a good one.