PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Atlantic recruitment

CR31
3rd Dec 2002, 15:50
Hi there

How come Virgin Atlantic are on such a massive recruitment drive for Cabin Crew at the moment? is everyone leaving in droves, are they taking on more routes, more planes, can anyone help??

Ta

qwertyuiop
3rd Dec 2002, 23:29
Cant answer the question but can add another. What is the starting sallary and do you start on a temp contract?

High as a Kite
3rd Dec 2002, 23:44
The airline is expanding again.

Early next year we will be adding routes to Port Harcourt and Grenada & Tobago as well as increasing frequencies to Washington and Boston.

The starting salary is in the region of £10000 plus trip pay, allowances etc. Take home pay is about £750 per month. It is not a temporary contract although there is an initial six month probationary period.

Hope this helps.

Disko Biscuit
4th Dec 2002, 10:19
Er.....is that take home of £750 a month including your trip allowances and commissions? :eek:

Overthehill
4th Dec 2002, 11:20
If £750 is take home inc flt pay and comms, then I would stay well clear!

High as a Kite
4th Dec 2002, 17:20
The take home pay figure does not include trip allowances which are paid downroute. These vary depending on which trips are on your roster. A typical East Coast USA nightstop allowance is between $130-$160.

Floaty
4th Dec 2002, 23:13
I just want to warn people applying from overseas: shared accomodation around London airports, nothing flashy, per month, 300 to 400 Pounds... The cost of living is extremely high and fuel is super expensive. Consider it and be prepared to tighten your belt! :p

I know other airlines do not offer much more than that at the beginning, but your chances to start making a bit of serious money are directly related to an eventual career opportunity, unless you choose this profession as a stepping stone for something else or in between studies...
What about Virgin? Can anyone mention something about further opportunities? Does it work by Seniority or merit? How long before you can apply for Senior Cabin Crew?

There are also loads of rumors about Virgin Atlantic... Anyone interested should search this forum for more info. It is hard to say if cabin crews are happy or unhappy there but personally I would seriously investigate... I remember reading some aweful stuff! :eek:

500 people to be hired? Okay they are expanding but still, this number sounds quite high... Can anyone mention how many cabin crew leave every month??

I was also a bit surprised to find out from Virign's website that application forms can only be obtained by calling an 0800 number in the UK... What about people calling from overseas? Does Richard have a problem with the bilateral agreement concerning the European work force??

btw, with this post, I do not mean to criticise anyone working for Virgin Atlantic. Far from that. I never had to pleasure to fly with you guys therefore I cannot judge. I am simply looking for the little details that never officially come out... :D

High as a Kite
6th Dec 2002, 23:03
I agree that living in the London area is very expensive and so is petrol! That is one of the reasons we have a number of crew who commute from all over the UK and mainland Europe.

As far as promotion is concerned, it works on the basis of seniority and merit. The company has a fast tracking scheme whereby you can be promoted rapidly through the ranks based on merit. Promotion is also possible based on seniority. As long as the airline continues to expand, opportunities for promotion will arise more often.

"There are also loads of rumours about Virgin Atlantic"
I would say there are lots of rumours about most airlines and with any company there are always happy employees and unhappy employees.

I can't put a figure on how many crew leave each month. The recruitment figures will take into account a number of factors including the number of resignations, the number of trainees failing the course and promotions from the Junior to Senior rank.

Sir Richard does not have anything against applicants from outside the UK. We have a diverse workforce from Europe and further afield.

If anyone has any questions about working for VS, Iwill try my best to answer them.

Floaty
8th Dec 2002, 13:25
Ta! :) :D :) I'll give it a go then!

Mrs. FloatJockey

dickyflys
9th Dec 2002, 08:10
There is a small amount of expansion, yes. 1 Flight a week to Tobago/Turks , 2 to Port Harcourt if it happens and the splitting of a 747 to 2 A340's to Washington. However, HUNDREDS of people have left in the last few months due to the ongoing problems of very low pay and disruptive rostering that leaves the many youngsters worn out and wanting to go home! It's great if you haven't got a life and need an escape.

Go see the world for a year or two with Virgin, it's great for that. However, you have to ask yourself why an airline that is nearly 19 years old has a majority of cabin crew in their early twenties. The turnover is HUGE. There is no incentive to make a career here. The pension is awful and there is no reward to length of service in pay.

Be warned, that's all!

As to Sir Richard encourages applications from abraod, oh please!

"Sir Richard" will take ANYBODY from ANYWHERE that will work for low pay and awful conditions, as long as they look alright with a slap of red lipstick and a short skirt.

He will love telling you that he can't pay as much as BA, because the company has to make money. Check out the figures. BA make £245,000,000 PROFIT in the last QUARTER and Virgin lost £105,000, 000 last year.

It's all spin, spin, spin while the money trickles to the British Virgin Islands!

High as a Kite, what is with all the 'we' stuff? Have you got shares in the place and if so, how do you get them? Another thing BA do that Branson doesn't want you to have. A share in any success.

High as a Kite
9th Dec 2002, 18:55
I do not have shares in the company.

When I signed the contract I knew what I was going to be paid and what the working conditions were like. I was not forced to come and work for the company and to the best of my knowledge nor was anybody else.

I am sick of the whingers with their constant moaning.

My advice to anybody who is that unhappy is simple - LEAVE.

World of Tweed
12th Dec 2002, 15:44
Hi Guys,

I have to agree with High as a Kite. I don't work for Virgin but a large charter and I see or rather 'HEAR' the same kind of moans alot.

There are so many people in the industry who suffer from the so-called 'Burn-out' syndrome of hating virtually everthing about the job but refuse to leave because they know they wouldn't make the same money and have the same time off elsewhere.

Perhaps those who can't accept the 24hour nature of the business and the fact that you are meant to talk to passengers should try doing a 9-5 5 out of 7days 50 weeks a year desk job I guarentee most of those you tried would be running back for forgiveness.

Everyone gets frustrated especially after consistently bad rosterlines but try to take a step back and look at things in perspective. We get a good deal in the airline industry and considering the economic climate we should all be pleased that Virgin is reucuiting for expansion.

I friend of mine once said to me "It Beats working for a living" and he was right...

Anyway Well Done Virgin!

High as a Kite
13th Dec 2002, 00:35
Thank you for your support World of Tweed. :D

I have done the 9-5 office routine and absolutely hated it. I get more days off now than I ever did working on the ground.

I enjoy my job and I like the company I work for. The constant negativity from some of my colleagues does get me down.

It is easy to think the grass in greener on the other side but the reality can be somewhat different..........