PDA

View Full Version : Afi Course

syed
3rd Dec 2002, 00:02
I am thinking to do a AFI course,could anyone please give me a detail information of the content involve in the AFI Training and also the reasonable place in uk for AFI training.
I would appreciate if someone could email me some usefull AFI notes.

EightsOnPylons
3rd Dec 2002, 01:37
Can somebody tell me what AFI means? I haven't heard of it before.

tas
3rd Dec 2002, 11:18
E O P

Assistant flying instructor

tas

eyeinthesky
3rd Dec 2002, 19:29
tas and Syed: No such thing as an Assistant Flying Instructor any more (in fact not since 1/1/2000 have any new ones been qualified).

They are now: Flight Instructor (Restricted)
or: Flight Instructor

To get from the first to the second you have to have 100hrs instructional hours, have supervised 25 student solo sorties, and be recommended for upgrade by your CFI (and pay some money to the CAA for a new licence page).

The basic Flight Instructor Course (FIC) involves some 40 hours of flying, 100+ hours of ground training and a flight test (sorry, I don't have the exact numbers to hand).

Various schools do it. Suggest you ring around some of the bigger ones in the various 'Where to Fly' guides and see what they say.

tas
3rd Dec 2002, 20:08
eyeinthesky

I was aware of that and was just answering EightsOnPylons question!

:rolleyes:

tas

juggernaut
3rd Dec 2002, 21:42
The FI restricted JAR course is 1 hour acceptance test, 30 hours flying, 125 hours ground school and takes approximately 4-5 weeks. The flight test at the end is an additional cost. £190 test fee, plus licence issue (£64?)The costs vary from £4 - £5000. The CAA website has a list of training providers. There is also a book by R.D. Campbell called the instructors handbook which gives a good insight into the course content. CPL knowledge, 200 hours TT, 100hours P1, 30 hours (5 in last 6 months) & SEPL is also required.
JAR ops section 11 and LASORS give the details. AFI and QFI are no more (assistant and qualified instructor), it is now JAR FI restricted and FI instead.:)

Tonker Towns
10th Dec 2002, 17:07
My advice for what it's worth is one establish the best course you can afford,and then get your head straight back into principles of flight at a very basic but indepth level.Can you sell to someone the theory behind vx/vy etc.
You have done a great job of passing the atpl exams which gives you great KNOWLEDGE but is your UNDERSTANDING up to speed on the basics?
Their aren't many careers where people come straight out of Uni and go straight to a front line job,a doctor for instance so take instructing as your building block or apprenceship for your chosen career.
Some instructors might not agree about it as an apprenticeship but i like them would be straight out the door if offered a jet job!
It was the best advice i had to become an instructor and you won't earn a mint thats for sure but you will be a more rounded,more switched on pilot than you ever were after passing the CPL flight test or IR.ENJOY