PDA

View Full Version : Aid Agency jobs?????

wotan
2nd Dec 2002, 19:00
Evening,

Anybody got any info (or can point me in the right direction) regarding the various Aid Agencies WFP, UN, Red Cross..etc. Do they employ pilots, what if any are the salary scales like, contract lengths, what kind of experience do thay require, what aircraft do they operate (presumably anything from c172 - c130). Has anyone on this forum had experiences good bad or indifferent to share. Any info would be much appreciated.

cheers.

Clogmaster
2nd Dec 2002, 20:01
Hello Wotan

You will find that most of the so-called 'humanitarian' flying for the Red Cross, UN, etc is done by private companies that are contracted in to provide aeroplanes/crew. Some of the companies involved are-
Balmoral, RossAir, NAC from South Africa
Aviation Assistance from Denmark
Transafrik (Sao Tome/Angola) and SAFAIR (also South African).

You will need to find employment with one of them, their requirements vary depending on a/c type, from 200 hours/fresh CPL for a co-pilot job on a Caravan/King Air to full ATPL/1000s of hours for something bigger. You will usually also have to get a validation on your license for whichever country the aircraft are registered in.

Contracts are usually 12 months between the client and the company and so job 'security' is limited. Typically the crews work on a time on/off basis, eg 2 months on 1 month off. Conditions vary depending on where you are based but can range from a tent/camp in a warzone to a luxury hotel in a capital city....

This type of flying takes you to places you would normally never (want to :) ) visit and offers some great experience - but it is not for everybody... if you like your home comforts then stay away :D

Do a search under this forum, the topic has been discussed at length quite a few times, and let me know if I can be of any further help.

Good luck
CM

lostcomm
3rd Dec 2002, 00:15
Like clogmaster said get the job with one of those private companies that have contracts with the agencies. For example, for transafrik right now you need a lot of on-type experience like C130 or B727, spoke to the CEO last week, he was talking about some 5000 hours on type for captain position and they are not employing any F/O at the moment.
If you have a JAA licence, about 1000 or a little more total time and some hours on the twotter or 500 PIC on Pilatus PC6, plus if your language skills include spanish or french you might consider Zimex, Swiss company from Zurich.They have a schedule off 8 weeks on / 4 weeks off (or 5weeks /5 weeks for some contracts).
Zimex pays about 5000 CHF per month for F/O.( I think i saw this number on the forum from a guy who worked for them-could be wrong)

Anyway you defenetly need experience for that kind of flying. They all want on-type experience and bush flying experience is a great advantage, military background for some companies could help also.

As said before not for people who like the comforts of their own homes. Good luck!

lostcomm

4granted
3rd Dec 2002, 04:44
Of course if you dont have much else to do try these guys: www.reliefweb.int/w/rwb.nsf or www.reliefweb.int/vacancies/
Good luck
9q4g

wotan
3rd Dec 2002, 15:45
Thanks guys, that information is much appreciated.

Indeed if you like your creature comforts it is certainly not an option but being from a military backround i am used to operating in the field for weeks on end.

Its something that i would like to do before i end up with two kids a wife and a killer morgage. A year would be ideal, go off get the experience and then return to the military.

Again cheers guys.

Treetopflyer
4th Dec 2002, 10:44
Try AirServe as well. They operate several contracts with humanitarian organisations and the United Nations in Africa. For example, they presently have a B200 based in Conakry flying for the UN.