PDA

View Full Version : Cumbernauld Flying School

jar66_b2
30th Nov 2002, 15:58
After months of putting it off, going to take the plunge and finally start the practicals.

Had a look around and the nearest School to me seems to be Cumbernauld flying school.

Has anyone here ever dealt with them? If so what are they like?

Any advice would be appreciated.

juggernaut
1st Dec 2002, 22:07
I have visited this club many times and the club is well run and has a nice cafe area, only one runway makes for interesting crosswinds and not much room on the apron. The slot times are a bit close together so instructors are worked hard but it is well organised. Landing fees are applicable there and these can also add to the cost. Engine failures are not allowed - you'll see why!

Bodie
1st Dec 2002, 22:25
juggernaut is right, a nice, well run airport with state of the art Katana 2 training aircraft - no crap aircraft there! It does mean that they tend to be a bit pricier than other clubs because of their facilities.

I couldnt tell you what the alternatives are for you as I'm not sure exactly where you live.

I beleive they do offer discount packages if you pay up front. I think they give you all the equipment + exams + minimum hours for just over 5k. Budget for £150-180 for a class II medical, but add another 1k on top to be safe. Most people wouldnt recommend paying up front in case they go bust, but it seems a busy, solvent school so the choice is yours.

Cheers

Bodie

p.s. Those Katana aircraft are all well and good, but in all seriousness you'll probably be flying cessnas or pa28's afterwards, so i'd opt for the pa28 that have there. Again the choice is yours.

100LL
2nd Dec 2002, 23:48
p.s. Those Katana aircraft are all well and good, but in all seriousness you'll probably be flying cessnas or pa28's afterwards, so i'd opt for the pa28 that have there. Again the choice is yours.

Bodie the Katana will do everything a 150/2 will do, Only better

Bodie
3rd Dec 2002, 07:15
100LL

I'm quite sure it does, I hear its a fine aircraft, but this wasnt my point. Very few flying schools use them or rent to ppls, which means that you'll have to convert to a more 'common' aircraft at the end of it. More expense on top of the existing expense of using the Katana.

Cheers
Bodie

Rod1
4th Dec 2002, 13:59
Go with the up to date aircraft. There are lots of aircraft out there other than P’s and C’s. Even if you do convert it will do your experience level good and it will take one to two hours, typically.

When I did my PPL on the PA38, the first thing I did when I got it was convert to a C172. If cost were a problem when you have your licence, you would probably go down the PFA route, which will be less different to the Kat than the P’s and C’s.

Rod