PDA

View Full Version : The untold story of NATIONWIDE AIRLINE

Gunship
30th Nov 2002, 06:13
All Africa (http://allafrica.com/stories/200211290283.html)

Cannibalising Ghana Airways - The Untold Story of Nationwide-Air

Ghanaian Chronicle (Accra)

November 28, 2002
Posted to the web November 29, 2002

Raymond Archer - with bureau reports
The Hague, Holland

In the continuing hunt for a rescue package for Ghana Airways, the country's distressed carrier gutted by government and systematic corruption. Ghana government didn't have to look far - South Africa-Nationwide Air, a budding company which can be swallowed many times by Ghana Airway's debt alone.

For President Agyekum Kufuor, the troubles and mountains of debt of Ghanair is a scare-crow and requires a whole ministry-perhaps, Ministry of Ghana Airways. But government's choice of Nationwide Air is even more befuddling than the solution to the problems of Ghanair.

Nationwide-Air is a one-man business owned by one Vernon Bricknell. an East Londoner and a motor racer who initially set up the company as charter-flight company in 1991 originally with a single Cessna 172.

The choice of Bricknell as the "Minister of Ghana Airways Affairs" and Nationwide Air as the "Ministry of Ghana Airways" can only be described as a fools deal and a scandal of the dummies.'

Bricknell, the sole proprietor of Nationwide Air, only purchased his first big, aircraft, a BAC I-II in 1994 and started flying scheduled services within Africa. 'As late as 1999-2000, he was still struggling with the South African Civil Aviation as the Aviation Authority had phased out his BAC 1-11 aircraft.

Nationwide Air, was born when Vernon Bricknell purchased a small (defunct) airline. It started with what was called the Nationwide Air Group in 1991, providing services within Africa for the United Nations and the World Food Programme as well as offering limited cargo and passenger charters.

Out of this group, Nationwide Air was established in 1995 to provide domestic services within Africa.

Ninety percent of the airline's routes remain domestic, basically within South Africa with a single route between Johannesburg and East London (Bricknell's backyard).

The current route network consists of six-daily flight between Johannesburg and Cape Town, five-return flights between Johannesburg and Durban, one flight Johannesburg and Gorge (except Tuesday & Wednesdays), five-flights between Cape Town and Durban, seven-flights between Johannesburg and East London. Four flights between Johannesburg and Port Elizabeth, six flights between Johannesburg and Livingstone, three flights between Johannesburg & Lusaka via Livingstone. Last October, the airline was scheduled to add 1-flight between Johannesburg and Mpumalanga.

According to Vernon Bricknell, Nationwide has carried only two million passengers since its inception, a figure which confirms the budding nature of the airline.

According to investigations, it was only eight months ago (that is March 2002) that Nationwide Air began vying for a licence to fly to Europe.

The airline, according to documents in the possession of the Chronicle, was as in March this year bidding for the Johannesburg-Brussels route. The airline is said to be eyeing South Africa's only remaining bilateral licence to fly London.

The London slot became available in early March, 2002, when the South African government withdrew it from African Star Airways which had been granted the rights in 1999.

Three years after the rights was granted to Africa Star Airways, the airline still does not have a single aircraft forcing the South African government to revoke its licence.

At the last check, Nationwide had submitted application to the Department of Transport's Air Service Council for the right to fly seven return flights to Brussels.

In its application for the Brussels route, Nationwide stated that it would vie for the London slot, depending on a review of the African Star's Licence.

The commercial executive of the budding airline, Chris Hoare, in his bid to persuade the council to grant them the licence said that the 2003 World Cup Cricket and the world Summit on Sustainable development to be hosted in South Africa required more flights.

"It is extremely difficult to get a seat on an international flight to South Africa and we are losing out, said Hoare. If successful in its application, Nationwide intends taking to the skies in the second half of the year.

Hoare also stated that an extra 2,000 tourists a week could be brought to South Africa based on the additional seven flights allowed by the licence. According to aviation figures some R700-million could be added to the economy of South Africa if an extra 100 000 visitors a year visited the country.

PARDON TO SURVIVE

Records at the South African Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA), indicate that on December 15, 1999, the South African Commissioner for Civil Aviation had to grant Nationwide Air an exemption from the requirement of regulation 91.04.18 of the Civil Aviation Regulations, 1997 in order for Nationwide to survive.

The regulation stipulates that an owner or operator of an aircraft, shall operate such aircraft in compliance with the specified minimum requirement for supplementary oxygen for pressurised aircraft.

At the time of granting the application, Nationwide was in violation of this federal regulation and was operating a fleet of BAC 1-11 passenger aircrafts which were non-compliant with the aforementioned regulation. The exemption was granted to Nationwide for an initial period of 18 months, until June 30, 2001. This was subject to certain specific conditions.

According to records, Nationwide Air applied for the initial exemption after an agreement had been reached between them and the Civil Aviation Authority on a BAC 1-11 phase-out and fleet renewal programme.

The commissioner for Civil Aviation granted Nationwide Air the exemption under the following conditions:

"a) Nationwide Air is required to limit flight levels on the Johannesburg-Durban route to 28,000 feet and on the Johannesburg George route to 31,000 feet. Where the BAC I-II's are used as back up, aircraft on the Johannesburg Cape Town route, they are permitted to operate at 31,000 feet."

The commissioner indicated that he would seriously consider granting a further exemption for an additional 18 months to the budding airline on the expiry of the present exemption, provided that he is satisfied that the BAC 1-11 aircraft are phased out according to the agreed phase-out schedule.

The agreed phase-out schedule stipulates that until December 2001, Nationwide may operate two BAC 1-il's at 30,000 feet.

From every indication, Nationwide is itself a struggling and a budding one man business. Government's choice is still a mystery but the whiff of Presidential complicity may be a proposition that may not be dismissed readily because in the NPP Government of today, no minister takes a decision of any real significance without clearing with the President.

And that Dr. Richard Anane currently the most powerful minister in the cabinet in terms of proximity to the president is an open secret and Chronicle will be exposing mind-boggling decisions that could not have been taken by this young stiff-necked Minister with no experience whatsoever in management or business.

Raymond Archer is a global journalism gold award winner. In our next story, the disappointing details of Nationwide's Court documents.

B Sousa
30th Nov 2002, 11:10
What can I say other than I got a reasonably priced and pleasant ride between Joburg and George.

Sultan Ismail
30th Nov 2002, 14:27
I just love an entrepreneur, one man band following in the footsteps of Jules Tripp and Richard Branson, good luck.

Flew CE-??? Jo'burg-Cape Town last year, the cabin crew gave the impression they owned the aircraft, and were very pleased we came along for the ride.

Using them next week on the Jo'burg-Livingstone route, for a couple of days at the Falls.

Didn't they also have a link with Sabena, I recollect the logo in letters 10 feet high along the fuselage in a very light font? Is that the background to the Brussels application?

Gunship
1st Dec 2002, 08:56
Yeah I do post a lot and a lot of news and must say I was reluctant to post this one ... I think it is a more damaging report than being positive about the whole "Ghana Scareways" afair.

Might just add that Milionair is STILL doing there West Coast route. Spoke to the crew at the airport yesterday.

Cheers,

Capetonian
2nd Jan 2003, 10:19
I've travelled Nationwide Air a few times in the last couple of years, and enjoyed every flight.

However 'rumour' in the industry is that some of their maintenance is a bit skimped, and certainly their fleet is not the youngest.

I'm told however that they have some of South Africa's best and most experienced pilots, which is comforting.

I don't want to get into a debate on this as I only have hearsay evidence regarding the above, all I can say as 'self loading cargo' is that their treatment of pax both on the ground and in the air is excellent.

Gunship
4th Jan 2003, 19:33
It might seem like I dislike them but I jsut "reported" on them ... :o

If I do not fly on Kulula - I fly Nationwide.
I just read an article that they where the first commercial jet that landed at the New Kruger Park Runway.

The Pilot's that I know that fly for them are all excellent pilots with great track records (and licences Roundout :D) Uhmmm Hope so :eek: