PDA

View Full Version : Tenerife

CoffeeBean
27th Nov 2002, 23:31
I am going to Tenerife in the next few days and want to do a bit of flying. Single engine four seater. Any Recommendations?

Dave Gittins
28th Nov 2002, 10:59
Asked the same question, for the same reason, a few times (look via the search facility for "Tenerife" to find the last one, about 4 weeks ago, and the replies) but sadly despite some people telling me all they know, I haven't got vastly further.

I am told that there is a "Real Aero Club de Tenerife" based at Los Rodeos and that there have been SEPs spotted at TFS. There is apparently a microlight strip near Bahia Del Duque (3 miles NW of Las Americas) but whether there is anything else there is not known. There is a Cessna which flies a banner over the beach at Las Americas and I can't believe that he flies from Los Rodeos every day and suppose he'd be happy to at least do some accompanied flights to supplement the hour a day banner towing - if I could find him.

I have also heard that a "flying school" has opened a shop in Los Cristianos and is plying it's wares, but I don't know any more, nor do I know where they fly from.

I will be in Tenerife from 17 Dec to 10 Jan and likewise want to avaiate. If I find any more before then (esp. about this flying school which hopefully is in the south) I will post again and if you find anything I'll be grateful to hear any more.

Hope you have some success.

Sensible
28th Nov 2002, 13:00
I tried to rent an airplane at several places in Tenerife, but needed to join the aeroclub first and then solo was out of the question so I wandered off. Prices aint cheap either!

Dave Gittins
29th Nov 2002, 11:12
Where were the several places ??? So far can only definitely point at the "Real Aeroclub..." at Los Rodeos.

Any other ears to bend ... especially in the south of the island .... will be much appreciated. Costwise, I had previously got a brighter picture than you painted ....... £85/hr ... which is cheaper than my £94 at Fairoaks.

Any more info will still be most gratefully received.

DGG

Dave Gittins
13th Jan 2003, 13:19
Just got back from Tenerife after a few weeks there over Christmas and New Year and flew twice from the main South airport, Reina Sofia, in a 172 SP with a Spanish Instructor.

The aeroplane is a 200 HP model, also used to tow banners over the beach at Las Americas and is operated by an outfit called Lanza Air who have an office in the Valdes Centre in Los Cristianos.

My trips cost me 210 Euros per hour (about £140) expensive, but I suppose not wholly out of line with the UK price for the same thing. I did the radio first time and my Spanish colleague did it the second. Both trips were VFR, one to the NW and the other to the NE.

The ATZ departure to the NW, to Los Cristianos, is great fun, flying at 1000 ft QNH following the motorway, which is itself about 500 ft high at one point, and between 2 1400 ft hills. The arrival from the NE is over slightly flatter land (skirting 2 old volcanic cones) and I had the pleasure of keeping the daily BA flight at the holding point while I landed and taxied in.

Why every arriving flight - even a locally based 172 - needs a "follow me" van is beyond me.

Great fun, altogether I flew two thirds round the island following the coast at 1000 ft, including over the docks at Sant Cruz, got some superb photos and video, and I shall do it again next time I'm there.

:D :cool: