PDA

View Full Version : Someone is winding up!

IFTB
26th Nov 2002, 13:38
You might want to have a look at this tread:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73617

Keep cool, as I am sure it is a wind-up.
Now ask me why we sometimes have uncalled for problems of racism? :( :( :( :( :mad:

ronnie123
26th Nov 2002, 23:15
This bad ugly world amazes me, always ! Why be so closed to the other cultures of the world.

Honkie or Chinkie or Goilow ,when you plan to live another country enjoy the different things it offers you....................

Alpha Leader
29th Nov 2002, 00:57
Anyone visiting or planning to remain in Asia to make a living would be well-advised to put aside any racial sensitivities before leaving home.

Whilst civil libertarians in "the West" would go ape$hit over any government forms that require you to state your race, this is the norm throughout many parts of Asia (Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Japan).

In China, for instance, there is a so-called "Interracial Marriages Bureau". Contrary to what its name suggests, this has not been set up to facilitate marriages between races (such as, say, between a groom of Han race and a bride of Uygur race), but to screen/sanction marriages between couples where one partner does not hold a PRC passport and is not considered to be "Chinese".

In Hong Kong, you'll hear the term "gweilo" in virtually any situation where locals talk about you as a Caucasian and think you can't understand what their saying. Their vocabulary and actions targeted towards South Asian (Indians, Pakistanis, Ceylonese) are far less benign.

Any sensitivities are entirely misplaced

:eek:

Plastique
30th Nov 2002, 12:35
And bizarrely, there is no law in Hong Kong which covers discrimation on the grounds of race.
In fact I have heard of a case of a western lady claiming discrimination on the basis of gender, but the defendant confirmed that they were actually discrimating on the basis of racial origin, so no case.
Beat that!