PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Law

aussiedigger
26th Nov 2002, 08:38
Do Cathay check out Aussie criminal history or police checks? If so, is any conviction a 'see you later', or are only serious ones enough to get the door slammed in your face?

shortly
26th Nov 2002, 12:39
In general terms your police 'history' is pretty much protected information. There is obviously a difference between criminal and civil convictions. I doubt that CX has the contacts to delve too deeply. Bit like the US military poofta legislation, don't ask don't tell. I don't suggest that you should hide a criminal conviction, that's up to you. If it comes out later, well you understand.

FaPoGai
26th Nov 2002, 20:03
If CX did then half the aircrew body would be in jail!
See Auckland , Cross Harbour Tunnell and Disco. Bay etc.
From H M P Dartmoor.

eaglejet
27th Nov 2002, 21:00
Tell us what you havve to hide buddy!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

jetboy
28th Nov 2002, 03:53
If not CX, you could always get in at Air Transat!
(You're not that shoebomber guy, are you?)

aussiedigger
30th Nov 2002, 03:17
Driving Under the Influence of alcohol:( :eek:

Sheko
2nd Dec 2002, 11:13
Does anyone know when these courtcases/tribunals are to take place?

Thanks,Sheko.

aussiedigger
17th Dec 2002, 07:02
Does anyone know about DUI?

aussiedigger
31st Dec 2002, 07:13
I am pretty eager to find the answer to this question. If anybody has been in this situation previously or knows the answer dont be shy now;)

Dan Winterland
31st Dec 2002, 21:59
You should be OK. After all, a criminal record was good enough for most Aussies once! ;)

(Better run for cover after that!)

slice
5th Jan 2003, 15:25
There is a least one guy in Cathay with DUI. Whether or not CX know about it I don't know but the conviction came after being accepted, so I would guess that they don't.

PeterZee
6th Jan 2003, 02:23
Don't know how similar Aussie law is to Canadian, but in Canada there is provision for a pardon of criminal offenses once two years have elapsed since the end of whatever the penalty was for the offense. (Assuming you've been a good boy, of course.)

This doesn't actually remove the conviction, but it does remove the record of it so thoroughly from the general police records that a search by anything not requiring a court order will NOT uncover it. So then it simply becomes a matter of conscience whether to admit it or not....you know, take the same moral high road with CX that CX always takes with their employees...(pardon, is my sarcasm showing?)

'Course could be moot depending on the workings of the Antipodean legal system. But good luck.

Traffic
6th Jan 2003, 07:00
Slice

I assume that must be the lady in Sydney who had her 5 year old sit on her knee and aim the car because she was too p.....d to drive. Needless to say the only reason she was caught is because the 5 year old managed a CFIT!!

Really...what is the purpose of this thread?

If every person of conscience at CX was asked if they had ever broken the law and driven a car under the influence then we would be battling to manage a weekly service between CLK and CKS.

My guess is, he or she has learnt their lesson which is more than I can say for some of the others who have yet to be caught.

Do something more constructive like the crossword puzzle.

HotDog
6th Jan 2003, 09:13
Hi Traffic, happy New Year! This subject reminds me of the good old days before breathalisers in Hong Kong. The trip home from the Aero Club, up old Clearwater Bay Road with one eye shut to stop seeing double, is a memory difficult to erase.:D

Traffic
7th Jan 2003, 00:39
Happy New Year to you HD. Hope you are over the medical woes.

Always wondered why there were so many one-eyed people at the Aero Club...

:rolleyes:

Stopped in there for a few jars mid November. Very quiet but the same faces behind the bar.

slice
13th Jan 2003, 04:14
Traffic - the purpose of this thread was to provide the original poster with useful information with regards to CX and crim convictions. I posted simply to provide the original poster with information of a particular case that I know of - not to pass judgement on that individual as you have assumed! I disseminated the information in language as neutral as possible to reduce the possibility of readers trying to infer something. Obviously with a topic like this that is difficult or have I just touched a raw nerve in somebody?

Traffic
13th Jan 2003, 06:25
Slice

Point taken.

The point I was making (and I think Hot Dog might support me in this) is that CX has traditionally been a mixed bag. There were those that thought their feces didn't smell (and some of them post here) and there are those that are more realistic. Some good drivers and some bad.

CX has always had some odd balls. There was a guy (JC) who was gated for blowing over a hut with a CV880 at the old Taipei Airport . There was a chief pilot who never flew again after stalling a 1011 out of Taipei (in fact I think Hot Dog may have been with him that day).

There was one guy done by the FBI for running drugs....

The list goes on and it is not in the official history of CX.

My point is that one conviction for DUI should not preclude someone from a career in aviation...unless they have hurt someone along the way.

bentwings
19th Jan 2003, 14:18
in Canada there is provision for a pardon of criminal offenses once two years have elapsed since the end of whatever the penalty was for the offense. (Assuming you've been a good boy, of course.)
Good scheme but in most Australian states criminal convictions stick 'like s**t to a blanket' for life.