PDA

View Full Version : PPL training in South Africa

wunala dreaming
6th Jan 2002, 16:12
Hello all,

I'm currently on hols in South Africa and am considering extending my stay to do the PPL put here, as it is so much cheaper than at home in Ireland.

If I head home with an SA PPL (that being the plan) and want to continue training towards a JAR CPL, do I first have to get my South African PPL revalidated? Or would I have to just sit the air law exam again?

Should the school I choose be a JAA-approved one or is that necessary?

If anyone could clarify those couple of things, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,
WD.

AeroBatfink
7th Jan 2002, 02:44
Hi WD,

Two ideas:
1. do a quick search in this forum, or the Wannabes archives - there have been quite a few posts on flying in SA.

2. Have a look at the <a href="http://www.avasp.com" target="_blank">Aviation Aspirations</a> website; the section on Training Overseas has some useful information.

I did my PPL and Night Rating in SA last year, and I've just started flying on it in the UK. If you've got any questions that aren't answered by the other two sources, email me offline and I'll try to help.

By the way, whereabouts in SA are you? Amazing country, isn't it!?!

BillyFish2
7th Jan 2002, 19:45
wunala dreaming,

Did my SA PPL in Cape Town (check out <a href="http://www.ghfc.org.za" target="_blank">www.ghfc.org.za</a> and e-mail contact: Pieter Wesselman: [email protected] ).

To get it re-validated before it's re-issue date (1st SA license is valid for only 12 months I think), the flying club/organisation in Ireland can do that. You'll have to do the guts of a flight test over 3 or 4 sessions including a cut-down cross-country. Probably cost you about 500 EUR's to do that much. However, once the re-issue date is up is where the problems start in Ireland. I was told by the IAA I would have to re-sit all the writtens, to get an IAA PPL. However, I could have gone to a UK club for the revalidation flight tests and then just done air law (+ possibly one other exam?) for the CAA PPL. You can use the CAA PPL in Ireland just like an Irish PPL.

Pain the neck I know but I would say if you can spend 4-6 weeks in SA doing a PPL, do it. Especially at this time of the year. It's one of the best experiences you will ever have.

Cheers

Speedbird777
8th Jan 2002, 05:06
What is the going rate for PPL courses in South Africa at the moment? Must be the place to go at the moment with the exchange rate being so favourable!