PDA

View Full Version : Scab

Paddle Steamer
25th Nov 2002, 07:22
Just reading the last Selcal and I note that the dreaded word "scab" has now officially been used in the Presidents column.
To argue the merits or otherwise of the Ifalpa position as well as the HKAOA regarding the recruitment ban on Cathay Pacific, is not for this forum.The fragrant harbour forum does a great job!

But, I do not appreciate it when someone who is looking for a job with one of the major airlines of the world ,is branded as a "scab "for accepting a position. The scarcity of jobs makes it an unrealistic request for any person to turn down such employment.

Futhermore, for the HKAOA to expect other aircrew to fight it's fight for them while they enjoy the benefits of full employment is also unrealistic.

A situation might conceivably arise when there will be more aircrew employed by Cathay who are not members of the association and then management will be able to negotiate with them as representative of the aircrew body.This situation is very dangerous and should be faced by the association.

The bottom line , as it appears to me, is that there is neither the will or the negotiating skill present.This applies to both of the parties involved.Perhaps our Alpa-Sa should be more forthcoming with a solution seeing as though we come from a nation which has proved how to negotiate our way forward.

Cpt. Underpants
25th Nov 2002, 09:02
PS...B-S.

The only (R) ONLY person to ever use the term "sc*b" in the whole sad affair is our own DFO. The HKAOA has always used the term "replacement worker" when referring to those individuals who chose to legitimize the illegal and reprehensible termination of 49 highly qualified and motivated employees for (and I use the DFO's terminology again) "no particular reason".

Having flown with some "replacement workers" I have always treated them with professional courtesy, as do all my colleagues. If anyone chooses to thumb their noses at IFALPA, then they should be prepared to face the consequences, whatever they may be.

Crying "foul" on a forum like this will not change anything...we should all be grown-up by now. In any case, I expect the IFALPA "ban" will soon disappear, but the indictment on the "replacement workers" whose names are on the list WILL stay.