PDA

View Full Version : Ppl Due To Expire

steven b
24th Nov 2002, 11:41
HI GUYS
DUE TO ILL HEALTH AND OTHER PROBLEMS THIS YEAR I HAVNT MANAGED TO GET MUCH FLYING IN....THIS LEAVES ME IN THE POSITION OF NEEDING 5 HRS SOLO BEFORE THE END OF DEC.

MY QUESTION IS THIS IF I DONT GET THESE HOURS IN WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO MY LICENSE....I AM A PPL WITH 200+ HOURS AND A NIGHT RATING......IF I DONT GET THE HOURS IN WILL I LOOSE IT ALL?

Stan Evil
24th Nov 2002, 12:07
DON'T PANIC!!!:eek:

Read this:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_gid33.pdf

If you don't complete the 12 hrs in the last 12 months etc then your single engine (SEP) class rating expires. All you then need to do to renew it is pass a licensing skill test (LST) with an examiner. The LST is just some GH, PFL and circuits and should take no more than one hour - it is NOT a full PPL Skill Test.

GoneWest
24th Nov 2002, 12:20
steven - No.

Granted it will not be "valid" as a pilots license if you have not jumped through the required number of hoops within twenty four months of licence issue or last reavlidation/renewal - but it will not be lost either.

To "renew" your privileges (the term used when they have already expired) you will need to do a "proficiency check" - with an examiner. This includes a departure, two steep turns, two stalls, an engine failure from altitude, an engine failure after take-off, a normal (full flap) landing and a flapless landing.

(I wrote that list from memory - may have missed something - don't quote me on it).

The results of the above are written onto a form (known as an SPA/LPC - half of which is mailed to the CAA, half of which the examiner keeps.

There are no revalidation requirements for the night flying anymore - that's why it's called a "night qualification" and not a "night rating" - you just need one take off and landing, in the dark, in the 90 days previous to carrying a passenger at night. (The "night rating" required five take-offs and landings every 6 or 12 months [I've forgotten which]).

Whilst responding to your mail - don't forget that if the "ill health" to which you referred was your own, and it prevented you from flying for a period in excess of 20 days, then you should have informed the CAA and your medical certficate may be invalid.

(Edit: My posting of this message crossed with the other answer you just received - same thing).

Noggin
25th Nov 2002, 20:01
Stephen

With 200 hours you no doubt have a UK PPL valid for life in which case it will never EXPIRE. Within the PPL you have a Medical Certificate that will expire and an Aircraft Rating that will expire.

The aircraft rating can be revalidated or renewed simply by passing a proficiency check as described by Gone West. Rather than rushing to get 5 hours, just do enough to feel comfortable and do a prof check, that revalidates the aircraft rating for another 24 months.

If you do deceide to get the 12 hours you need in the 12 months prior to the rating expiry, you must also have the licence signed by an Examiner within the validity date or it will expire and the hours will be no good - then back to the prof check again, but now called a Skill Test.

Steamhead
25th Nov 2002, 20:40
I think only on important fact is missing from the information supplied thus :-
For FIVE years from date of expiry then only a skill test (old GFT)
is required to re-validate.
Arter five years the requirments begin to get more EXPENSIVE.
I advise anyone short of money or in temp. ill health to
re-validate every 41/2 years.

Regards