PDA

View Full Version : JOB PROSPECTS IN NZ

Barcli
6th Mar 2002, 15:35
Can any of our ppruners in NZ advise on the current overall job situation in NZ.?. .Also know nothing of visa requirements etc for someone considering emmigration to you fair isle.. .Have around 8000 hours with 3000 jet command if this helps your assessment.. .thanks

Hap Hazard
6th Mar 2002, 22:35
Barcli, not meaning to offend, but in a word crap!!. .Thats why so many kiwis are here and not there, I should know, our company is full of them!!. .I know it may not be what you wanted to hear but...

Raw Data
6th Mar 2002, 22:58
Not only that, but you find yourself at the back of a very long queue, behind all those of us who would like to return home but are faced with sucj nonsense as the Air Nelson requirement that you must have 50 hours recent IF in NZ airspace (because flying in NZ is so much harder than anywhere else in the world, being as it is about as busy as the Shetlands on a sunday).. .. .Add to that the difficulty in changing your licence over (you will have to stump up for a NZ ATPL flight test on a turboprop, amongst many other tests and exams), and the immigration hurdles (don't even ask unless you are young and/or wealthy), and it begins to get tricky.. .. .Best of luck though... the country is wonderful, despite the inept government...

A Very Civil Pilot
9th Mar 2002, 01:09
I think the annual turnover at Air New Zealand is something like 4 pilots. Still, great place for GA

Caribou 2
9th Mar 2002, 01:33
I heard of a Kiwi guy - thousands of hours / good management experience etc. who has played lot's of golf and thats about it since going home 15 months ago - there are many Kiwi air firce guys in the queue too......

Sean Simpson
9th Mar 2002, 09:12
Hi Barcli. .. .You should post your question in the Dunnunda and Godzone forum - it's got plenty of Kiwi's in it.. .. .As I've seen a few similar threads in there over time, I don't think you'll get much of a different response to what the guys above have said though. It would appear that there just aren't that many opportunities over there at the moment. . .. .In addition the government in it's wisdom has just closed down it's air forces jet fighter ops (maybe coz the world is such a nice and secure place these days they felt they weren't required anymore ???) and something like 700 NZ a/f pilots are weighing up their options so it's not a pretty picture.. .. .Cheers. .. .GA

Loc-out
10th Mar 2002, 01:13
Raw Data . .. .I am afraid a lot of the people in NZ aviation suffer from small country syndrome. Big time.. . . . <small>[ 09 March 2002, 21:14: Message edited by: Loc-out ]</small>