PDA

View Full Version : Flying in San Diego

Grob Driver
21st Nov 2002, 15:45
Hi Chaps and Chapes’s…

I’m off to San Diego on Tuesday to do a spot of flying… Has anyone on here flown in that part of the world, and if so, do they have any ‘must visit’ locations? Planning to fly to Vegas for a few days, but would welcome comments from others if you know of good places to visit.

Many thanks

Grob Driver.

Doh… going to have to swap the Grob for a 172! :mad:

slim_slag
21st Nov 2002, 16:29
Call up Lindbergh tower (stay outside Class B just to the north, don't bother with SOCAL approach) and ask for a midfield transition of SAN at 1000ft. It's class B, so don't just dive in there, wait until you hear the magic phrase 'Cleared into the Class B'. Fly over airport with jets just below you, tower will hand you off to the Naval Air Station just to the south and transition their class D.

Tell the NAS you want to come back north "via the channel" at 500ft. You have to climb to get above the bridges, but follow the channel round to the north. If you are lucky, you might even get to line up for an approach on some aircraft carrier! When you get to the Point on the mainland just off the air station, ask for a frequency change for Lindbergh tower again. Tell Lindbergh where you are, and request Class B clearance northbound along the shoreline at 500ft.

Makes more sense when you see the chart. Pretty cool, ask your instructor to take you on the trip when you get checked out, then do it yourself.

(Some instructors round there don't know about this little joy ride, done it loads of times myself so don't take no for an answer).

Apart from that, clock up some cross country hours. Lots to see and do.

Grob Driver
21st Nov 2002, 21:17
slim slag....

thanks very much for that..... It sounds like a lot of fun....I'll definatly give it a go.

Thank you

Keef
21st Nov 2002, 21:29
Fabulous area to fly!

Try Catalina Island (I think the FBO will want to check you out before letting you go there solo - it's a tricky one, high, cliff edge, strange wind effects, and very hard to judge a landing).

Big Bear City is an interesting trip. Fascinating place!

If you fancy a longer trip, the best trip I ever made anywhere is from SoCal to the Grand Canyon (imagine the views!), Sedona, and Palm Springs. Again, some of that is difficult, and you need to do your planning carefully to avoid getting into prohibited airspace, but it's the trip of a lifetime.

We spent a happy week bimbling around there in an Arrow. Can't wait to do it again!

essouira
21st Nov 2002, 21:44
Another vote for catalina and big bear. If you are there for a while, how about going into arizona - tombstone and tucson are fab and you could fly down to nogales and then take a taxi into mexico. Tucson you can do a low pass over the aircraft cemetry if you call them up and sound like you know what you are doing. If you have even more time, fly up over monument valley and land at cal black. Have fun.

slim_slag
22nd Nov 2002, 04:51
grob,

my pleasure, have fun. If you want to fly over the Grand Canyon (which is pretty much a must) you might want something better than a 172. Depending on which corridor you take, you need to get up to 10,500 or 11,500 ft. It's getting cooler now but a rental 172 still might not make it. You could always just rent a bigger beast for the day in Vegas (don't forget to ask for a T&G on 19R at LAS, do it at night and you get the strip off your right wing all the way down - they might not give you a T&G, might make you full stop and taxi back)

Everybody else has great suggestions. I would avoid Nogales though, nothing there. If you want to do Mexico then just pop over the border to TJ when you are in San Diego. Friday night is party night on the 'Avenue de la Revulsion'. You get to see all the kids who cannot get a beer in the US until they are 21 getting crazy. You will be hassled for a taxi when you get into Mexico but just walk to the entertainment strip, that way you get to see the back streets - but you might be happier doing that if you have a skinful of good honest Mexican tequila first :D

Julian
22nd Nov 2002, 10:22
We took a 172 SP Millenium with 3 POB from Long beach upto Vegas and then after a couple of days flew over the HOover Dam and Grand Canyon - it did the job very well. Admittedly if you took a clapped out old school one it would prob be a different story!

As for other places to visit I could name loads if I dug out my log book but one you should check out is Coloumbia just east of San Francisco - strange place...cue 'Duellling Banjos'
Anyone who has been there will know what I mean....

If you are feeling adventerous then fly over to Scottsdale in Arizona, really nice place and good food.

jayemm
22nd Nov 2002, 12:43
I rented a 172 a couple of years ago at Montgomery Fields in San Diego and took a day to fly over the mountains, across Palm Springs and into the desert. Whilst Catalina et al might be pretty, flying over those mountains and into the desert was just awe inspiring. I get quite emotional just thinking about it.

I stopped at Yucca Valley (North of Palm Springs) for lunch, then onto a 'strip in the middle of nowhere' called Twentynine palms. The strip runs alongside a road and so is easy to find, but is surrounded by desert and mountains of beautifully diverse colours. In just one day, I flew over lakes, lush green areas around San Diego, mountains (with snow), and deserts and saltlakes.

Plenty of VORs so you can't get lost, and the ever helpful US ATC guys are always on hand.

Montgomery Field has parallel and usually active runways, so if you go there, use caution.

One word of warning; San Diego often experiences sea mists in the late afternoon/evening, and with the sun in the West, approaching from the East you can easily be blinded. This happened to me, and was scary for a few minutes, especially with parallel runways and unfamiliar territory. I couldn't see the airfield at all, and did a 180 back to a clear landmark before ATC helped me in.

Whatever you do, have a fantastic trip; you can't fail to!

18greens
22nd Nov 2002, 20:57
Brilliant choice for a flying holiday.

Most of it has been said but I will echo the sentiment to get the biggest thing you can afford. A Mooney or an Arrow would be good. I remember getting 100' per minute in a 172 out of Canyon and it was only 2up (pressure altitude 8000+') . Also to cross the hills you need to hit 10,500' and this takes yonks (about 25 minutes) in a 172.

A good place to hire is www.plusone.org. Mooneys, arrows duchess etc. available. 1hr minimum per day!!!

Include Sedona in any trip outeast (lots of red rocks) and you must go to vegas (even if it is just to boast it took you 2 hours instead of the 7 hours your audience spent driving it).

Also the weather is astounding (apart from the marine layer but that doesn't happen too often)

Have a very good time.

pilotwolf
22nd Nov 2002, 23:05
Slim.

Can you still do that post 9/11? Thought it had been stopped...

Did it a couple of years ago in R22 - definately recommend it if possible. Had a close up view of some big boats!:D

Soooooo temping to fly under that bridge! :D

Grob Driver
23rd Nov 2002, 00:30
A very big THANK YOU for all your comments and suggestions guys (if anyone has any more, please feel free to share them with us!). I’m going to try and do as many of them as I can…. I’m away for 18 days so there should be plenty of time to get a few good trips in. I’ll be printing off all your comments and suggestion to take with me.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a complex ticket, so I think my choice of aircraft is going to be restricted, probably to a 172 or a Warrior.

Once again, thank you very much.

Cheers

172 Driver – Formally known as Grob Driver!!!

Keef
23rd Nov 2002, 09:49
While you can, with the right charts, fly across the "visitors' bit" of the Canyon at a considerable altitude, you might not want to bother,

We flew from LA across the desert (fabulous) and along the Western reaches of the canyons, where the restrictions are far less. Mrs Keef used up about three reels of film on that. The views were stupendous.

By the time we got to Grand Canyon airport, we were sated with aerial views and took the bus to the rim, where the views are something else, too.

You absolutely must have the special chart for the Canyon, since there are a variety of height restrictions. A VOR (and knowing how to use it) is pretty well mandatory, too.

ATC round there is fabulous - "Center" gave us some steers for particularly "good" bits, and then fed us into the line of pleasure flights into KGCN.

For the distance you'll be travelling, might it be worth getting a complex type endorsement and taking an Arrow or a Cardinal? I don't know if getting that in the USA requires a visa - I suspect not, since the BFR doesn't, but be sure!

slim_slag
23rd Nov 2002, 21:20
pilotwolf

I don't actually know it its still available, I haven't done it since 9/11 (used to work in San Diego but not flown there since I left). There aren't any regs saying you cannot, I'd just call up and ask. Maybe grob will let us know.

Getting a complex endorsement is a good idea and not difficult (just remember to add 'GEAR' to your landing checks - and where do I sign :D), but for insurance purposes you will probably need ten hours dual in type before they cut you lose on your own. Keef is right, plenty of views to be seen without going over the top of the canyon. VOR navigation round there is good, but GPS far better! If you do go over the top, don't bother with the common reporting frequency on the chart. That is used by the commercial sightseeing traffic a thousand feet or so below. You are far better off staying with VFR Flight Following from LA Centre.

Nobody has mentioned Borrego Springs (http://www.airnav.com/airport/L08) airport, out in the desert by Palm Springs. This place used to have a 'flying trail' where you would fly a route on a map and see interesting things in the desert. Nice friendly place too.

Grob Driver
23rd Nov 2002, 23:55
Well gents,

I’m going to try and do as many of your suggestions as I possibly can, and I’m certainly going to have a go at slim slag’s suggestion so I’ll let you all know if it’s still possible after 9/11.

Oh, one last thing… Any one knows if there are any good aircraft museums in the area?

Talk to you all in 3 weeks!

Happy landings

172 Driver – Formally known as Grob Driver!!!:D

Keef
24th Nov 2002, 00:34
Aircraft museums - yes, lots! I've only visited a few of them.

Palm Springs - fabulous. Chino - not bad.
Santa Monica - I spent a happy day there,

There are more!

Grob Driver
25th Nov 2002, 16:31
Well gents,

Just wanted to say one last thank you for all your help and suggestions.... I’m leaving for Heathrow in 30 minutes so I'll say goodbye!

Once again... thank you all.

Cheers, and happy landings.

172 Driver!…

Grob Driver
18th Dec 2002, 16:02
What can I say.... thanks for all the advice.... what a FANTASTIC place to fly!

Unfortunately it didn't all go to plan, but the majority of it was just wonderful!

I got food poisoning in Las Vegas so I didn’t get to see the grand Canyon / Hoover dam etc. It was awful, my friend had to fly us back with me being sick in the right hand seat! Would have stayed in Vegas till I got over it but had to leave because we were flying back to the UK the following day!

Flew over the warships although you cant get 500' any more.... you have to remain at 3000'. It was still pretty cool though.... Did it at night too and that was VERY nice!

Anyway, what a fantastic place, not only the flying, but also everything else about it! (Good fishing too!!!) – And some very good seafood restaurants!

Thanks for all the advice guys…. I WILL be going back again!

Cheers

Grob Driver