PDA

View Full Version : What is the longest commute of a flight attendant?

Xtra Crew
19th Nov 2002, 08:21
Hi guys,
Now I would like to work for an airline flying just long haul out of FRA but keep staying in my hometown near ALC in Spain. I know it sounds a bit silly but there are flights connecting both cities each day.
Do you know any cabin crew member who commutes such a distance or even a bigger one?
On what route do they commute?
Thanks for your comments! David

MinimumRest
19th Nov 2002, 14:34
Heard of a couple of London based VS crew living in Spain and a Cathay Pacific guy based in FRA living in Manchester!

parajump
19th Nov 2002, 15:19
I did know of a crew member on a part time contract who lived in the US but worked long haul out of LGW. !!!:eek:

Tomb Raider
19th Nov 2002, 16:01
Know many,many crew from BA that commute from all over Europe.Met one that lives in New York,one that lives in Philly.As said,LGW crew that lives in Houston.Have heard of someone that used to commute from K.L.

The best,though,was a 747-400 Capt. who commuted to LHR from Austrailia.....Perth I think!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Sick Squid
19th Nov 2002, 17:24
BA rumour mill has 3 flight crew who live in Australia and commute.. one in Perth is a definite (on the 744), and have heard the other 2 are in Sydney. Would only commit on the Perth one in a court of law, mind you. Others from Spain and France are common...

On top of that, someone retired a few years back, Flight attendant, who commuted from Hawaii, and on my last trip one of the male FA's commuted from just outside Philadelphia.. and that is onto a shorthaul fleet.

Part time/job share opens these lifestyle choices up big time, but don't forget the responsibility to be rested before a flight, and I know that an unfavourable eye is turned if you cut your commuting flights too fine, even when only commuting domestically.

£6

flapsforty
19th Nov 2002, 20:41
Hi David, as Squiddo says, it's pretty common.
I used to commute between New York and Amsterdam when still flying long haul full time, and have for the past 13 years lived in Norway while working out of Amsterdam.

It's doable if you really want it, but it's definitely not the way of least resistance, i.e. you complicate your own life a lot by doing it this way.
It all depends on what price you are willing to pay. In extra fatigue, less actual time at home, lower salary due price of the tickets, complicated and unadvantageous tax laws and a host of other frustrating stuff.

If the job gives you enough satisfaction to make all that worthwhile, and you are able to not focus on the problems of living in a different country but on the joys of it, go for it.

I couldn't imagine living any other way. :)

Feel free to mail me if you want to know more.