PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Airways Turnaround

t3953
16th Nov 2002, 18:00
Hey everyone!

New QR cabin crew here whos just made the move from the shamrock and still trying to figure out why everyone seems to have it in for this little airline!

So far things are going fine. Weve heard all the rumours but have as yet to witness it. A lot of the longer serving staff do talk about it (quietly) but in reflection of the past more than anything. The money may not be brilliant especially if coming in with no previous flying experience but the lifestyle here in Doha more than makes up for it, I couldnt live at home on what Im earning but I wouldnt have as high a standard of living back home on the "great" salary I had there so go figure!

Im still watching my back regarding the head honcho (please feel free to correct my spelling mistakes) but I also still reserve my opinion on that one until proven good or bad.

The airline seems very professional for its size and knows where its place in the market is. Service is very intense mind you especially on short sector flights (25 mins to BAH and we have to serve all pax a sandwich and drink) but all part of the service and helps eat into the time. The ladies have no problems either with the culture in Doha which is a nice little place, definatly not DUB mind you and nightlife shuts down during Ramadan but thats to be expected. Mind you, they could do with opening a few more bars I think, Im already sick of the Marriot and Int-Con!

So far all the flights Iv done have been great, great crews, great CS and CSD's and interesting pax to say the least. The rosters now have a fare share system so everyone gets an equal number of flight types so no probs with rostering even though my own roster for the month came out with not a single lay-over and all on the a320 but at least that should mean im in for a nice december roster! Sure my second flight was a three day MUC so that cant be a bad sign! Still waiting for A330 training mind you but that shouldnt be too far off! And promotions seem plentyful and quick if you knuckle down and work hard.

Accomodation is top notch, we spent 2 months however in hotels but the wait was worth it as they moved us into brand spanking new apartments which are all fitted out. And the injection of Irish and Aussie crews is really helping to livin things up a little here.

So in a nutshell, it really isnt as bad as everyone seems to be making it out to be and its anything from a harsh regime. Is it possible the airline has made a turn for the good??? Your comments im sure will be welcome on this matter as Im still to make a final opinion on the place. However for those of you who want to comment about your "experiences" here...be open minded, just because it happened then, doesnt mean it still happens, Stories are nice but so is real life!

Anyone thinking of applying, Go for it, if you dont like it you can always go home and hope something else appears in the market that doesnt involve charging for food onboard and wearing brightly coloured uniforms!!! :D :D :D ;)

Mail me if you have any questions!!!

mutt
17th Nov 2002, 02:41
definatly not DUB mind you

You are right, there is a huge difference between Doha and DUBlin Ireland. http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/guin.gif

When you said that you moved from the Shamrock, did you mean the country or the airline?

Its actually nice to read some positive comments about QR, I hope that you enjoy your time in the Middle East.

Mutt.

gulf-crew
17th Nov 2002, 03:21
Hey ther t3953

Glad to see your enjoying doha, mind you in my time their the only places to go were the sheratton doha and the gulf hotel loved doha and the lifestyle cant say I was impressed much about the airline back in those days was on the B727 then but it was fun. DO watch your back especially with the other crew you dont know who will dob you in to the office, Hope you enjoy it and the flying is something different from UK/Europe stuff.

Used to love doing the DAC layovers and KTM as well. Enjoy it, live life to the full. Hope to be back in Doha Xmas for a little visit so might catch all you guys at the bar for a laugh about the old days.

Best wishes to all the Irish and Aussie lot

GC (ex QR crew)

kenoco
17th Nov 2002, 14:01
hey its good to see that you have settleed in nicly,Doha does have its good points which normally involves lots of alcohol,but do watch yuor back cause ears everywhere.I think when the beer wears off then u might start gettin bored of it all.Watch how AAB treats the non white crew thats where the badness starts.Anyway not going to be negative today so take care and if u are promoted don't let the power go to your head.By the way how long have you been in QR?????

t3953
17th Nov 2002, 17:09
Hey everyone,

thanks for your replies!
To answer your questions, Yeah Mutt, my roots are with the flying SHAMrock! Three short but great years. Where did you get that guinness pissed packman? He rules!

Gulf-crew, thanks for the advice but being a professional I dont plan on doing are saying anything that could lead to me being dobbed in ;) Hope you make it down at Xmas! God nows we could use a few more people to make up the numbers at the bar!

Kenoco, Im only three months and thanks for your advice also! I know what you mean about the "power trip" thing. Have come across it but tact is a wonderful thing for dealing with people like that. Mind you, I learnt that in my old airline moreso, must be an industry wide thing!!!! :cool: Im a firm beleiver that your flight will only be as good as the atmosphere in the cabin so if Im fortunate enough (?!?) to get promoted itll be happy flying!

Anyway, anything else, get back! Im enjoying getting the replies! All the best!!!

gulf-crew
17th Nov 2002, 23:01
t3953

Good Luck hope you do get promoted soon, yeah sure will give you a PM when coming down hope to be their around 27/28 Dec for a couple of days. Do watch you back though even the slightest thing they will get you on, believe me it has happened.

Hope that you enjoy yourself, QR was a good grounding for me and has led onto much better things. 3 1/2 years their

Say hi to all the old crew

GC:cool: :cool:

alicia
14th Jan 2003, 22:17
god u must of been payed some to say this!!:) DOHA has to be one of THE most boring places on earth.give it another few months love...

killick
15th Jan 2003, 03:41
Most boring place on earth? Never! You obviously just knew the wrong people........anyway give it a couple of months and I'm sure we'll have all the excitement we can handle!

My own vote for most boring place goes to Salalah, Oman, where I once spent 12 crushingly dull months in a far-off distant age when there was no internet, satellite TV or even consistent telephone links with the outside world. Doha doesn't even register on the boredom scale in my book............

ae-82
15th Jan 2003, 14:12
Hi.

When is Q.A. going to give me an answere on my application for operations? I would really want to work in Doha!

And it is not only Q.A. witch doesn't give a answere. Sorry that i forgot your name, but is Q.A. still looking for ops employees?

:(

Hong Kong Layover
17th Jan 2003, 13:27
Bless u and all !

hope and pray u will keep enjoying QR and QATAR long as u work there! sadly,I doubt it very much!I ve been flying with QR as a CSD,over 7 years,and I ve seen enough how people ruined everything in life and headed home.

so,pls keep fingers crossed ,dont expect sun and moon! same time look for other options elsewhere and get out before u are sorry.

GOOD LUCK !

taba
17th Jan 2003, 15:06
The CSD position hasn't been created for 7 years, plus that means you are still at QR!! What is EK doing to you man!???Ha Ha

Hong Kong Layover
18th Jan 2003, 13:05
Hi mr.KW,.....good to hear from you.I do agree CSD position was not created 7 years ago,what I have said is I ve been with QR for some 7 years and I am a CSD with the company!...It used to be FSS,7 years ago as u and i,ofcourse,can remember!!!!
Regarding EK,I am cluless about what u mean.yes,the day i get demoted or terminated,I shall think of it, as it has been happening to most of us,which is a ritual @ QR.

guille727
27th Jul 2006, 14:23
Hey t3953.
I am very glad you are enjoying your time in Qatar Airways, different life style, people and culture. I was interviewed last May for the Amiri Cabin Crew position in Doha bue I have not received any answers yet. hope to get it soon. Could you tell me something about amiri cabin crew? Hope you are doing well and keep enjoying your flights!

apaddyinuk
4th Aug 2006, 21:32
Hi Guille...
I think you will find that this was written a few years ago.

fly_guy100
8th Aug 2006, 04:17
I know I asked this to a few people on this board and it's about getting hired with QR at 18 years old even though the age requirement is 20. I got mixed answers from different people from I recently talked to another cabin crew with QR and she told me it's very possible to get hired at 18 with QR, and she even told me her trainers said it was 18, some of the people she flew with started at 18, and her flatmates confirmed it was 18. Soooo, what exactly is the truth?

apaddyinuk
8th Aug 2006, 11:33
Flyguy, check the qatarairways website. The criteria will be listed in there!

QRCC2B
8th Aug 2006, 15:16
I know I asked this to a few people on this board and it's about getting hired with QR at 18 years old even though the age requirement is 20. I got mixed answers from different people from I recently talked to another cabin crew with QR and she told me it's very possible to get hired at 18 with QR, and she even told me her trainers said it was 18, some of the people she flew with started at 18, and her flatmates confirmed it was 18. Soooo, what exactly is the truth?

No!

This question is asked in their application form:

"Please specify if you are over 20 years of age (Legal requirement to be employed as Cabin Crew in the State of Qatar)"

QRCC2B

starrr
10th Aug 2006, 08:45
Yeah, I've heard you must be at least 20 to be able to work at Qatar..

xyned
10th Aug 2006, 17:34
Hey ther t3953

you really shed a fair bit of light on the old qatar (probably during the 80's). the country's infrastructure has had a massive turnaround since late 90's( not too bad). currently the rapid development (in other words demolition) has caused quite a bit of misery to residents. living poshly doesnt really expose you to the reality. steep inflation is gonna ruin the perfectly healthy economy whose overall feel was steadily rising up.i know. things need to change. but not like this.why not develop new towns in barren areas. why re develop the flourishing shopping and resedential hubs. why?. as they say "what goes up must come down" most companies have failed to keep up their offerings to the employees in light of rapid inflation in living costs. what with the " no bachelors in the city policy" and "no asians in the city". mark my words.the concerned sheiks and officials behind this are going senile, probably soft in their head.

hey man send me ur email id: mine is [email protected]. i was there when sheraton was the only star in corniche's horizon.