PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Brush-ups

AirScream
5th Mar 2002, 02:30
I notice that Oxford are advertising weekend brush-ups. Awesome - that will save weeks of leave for flying. The month of brush ups needed really eats into the benefits of a "correspondence" course.. .. .I wonder if Bristol will follow suit?

pugzi
5th Mar 2002, 21:22
Of course Bristol will, if they have the demand.. .Only kidding before I get a torrent of abuse.. .They are handy, where ever you go. . .It's essentially a crash course for the exam, knowledge without which you fail kind of "brush up".. .If only every subject could be done in a day. 14 days then done!!!!!. .Sadly I'm mad.

Alex Whittingham
5th Mar 2002, 22:44
It could be done, there are one or two problems. The JAA require 10% of the 650hrs of ground training to be done in the classroom, that works out to about two weeks. In practice very few schools think that is enough and most have 2 two week crammers, 20 working days. Part of the benefit of these is that they are two weeks of solid work and it might take longer in dribs and drabs.. .. .The second problem is the maximum hours instructors can be in the classroom, 18 hours or three working days under the CAA rules. This means if your instructors work weekends you can't use them much in the week.. .. .The third problem is that, when schools obtain approval, they submit a course design to the CAA which is subsequently approved. Any school approved to run 2 two week crammers could not offer weekend courses as a substitute as an 'approved course' without also getting CAA approval. I suspect the Oxford weekend courses are an additional option, most schools can do that.. .. .And finally the fourth problem, there has to be enough demand to make it economically viable.. .. .Perhaps the way forward is to use computer based training and on-line tutorials to shave the classroom requirement down to the minimum 65 hours. It wouldn't make it cheaper but it would save the family holiday and keep the wife/girlfriend a little bit sweeter.

nunos
5th Mar 2002, 23:51
interesting enquiry airscream. .i,m dist learning with bgs almost ready for 2 week brushup. i feel that weekend brushup courses would be extremely beneficial especially with subjects witch one is having problems with,come on alex, is it a rhumb line or a great circle?

nunos
5th Mar 2002, 23:54
guess i failed the spelling section then?. .ops!!!

Rote 8
6th Mar 2002, 21:10
nunos. .. .Easy one that. The Rhumb line is always on the equatorial side of the great circle. You just need to remember that rum (i.e. Bacardi, or proper rum (dark)) comes from hot, equatorial countries.. .. .CCDA

RichardH
6th Mar 2002, 21:57
Alex is correct in what he states.. .. .A modular student MUST attend some kind of. .revision/cramer course, these usually last about 2 weeks. . .. .The weekend brush-up (call it what you like) is there as an optional extra and in no way replaces the 2 week courses. Often just one subject over a day or weekend.. .. .I believe the Perf; Systems, Nav & Met have been very popular.

FlyingForFun
8th Mar 2002, 02:32
If taking time away from work/family is a problem, take a look at London Guildhall University. Their course only requires two weeks of full-time study (just about making the mimumum 10% which someone mentioned above), unlike the four weeks that all the others require. They've also arranged the modules such that each block of exams is done in two days - it's two days of solid exams, unlike the four days of fairly well spread out exams which many schools go for.. .. .I very nearly went to LGU for exactly these reasons. (I started a thread in here asking if anyone had any knowledge of the course - if you search, I'm sure you'll find it.) But in the end I opted for Bristol, mainly because of the quality of the notes and the computer-based revision facilities.. .. .FFF. .---------

pugzi
8th Mar 2002, 14:18
These one day brush up crammers are exactly that, they are just purely designed for getting you the final cherry to the understanding and do not constitute in any way to the requirement of 650 hours or 10%.