PDA

View Full Version : during the interviews - most difficult situations u have ever handled or experienced?

dejvu
13th Nov 2002, 09:41
hey everyone,

it seems that they have been asking this question like a thousand time during the interviews

" what is the most difficult situation u have ever handled or experienced??"

i couldnt help but wonder, what is the most perfect answer for this question???????

i hope u guys can help me on this - i do work at the airport i m more to the airport and airlines operations

i know they r looking for a customer service related answer

but just can u guys give me some hints about it???????

for example...working at the information desk???? or just anything that i can get marks for this question will do :))

thanx x 10000

( EK interview on 16th Nov, and i m damn nervous )

dejvu
14th Nov 2002, 06:24
hey thank you so much for the reply!!!

but then they might ask some REAL situations that u have experienced in real life..........

any examples for the " real" situations?? :))))))))

i can only think of the typhoon situation - as there were so many strangled pax at the airport and approached to the information desk to ask questions - so that i just asked my colleagues to come to the counter and assist me to answer them all together...

is it any good?

flyblue
14th Nov 2002, 06:51
try here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/202-8659990-9543037)

dejvu
14th Nov 2002, 09:00
hey Fly Blue,

well the book u listed, i couldnt see it as it was in ur amazon account ( ok i dont mind if u wanna get me that book ;) !! )

the interview will be on 16 th ......not much time left...
i would rather u send me a pvt message....

thousands kisssssssssssses !!
merci beau coup!!~

dejvu
15th Nov 2002, 03:28
well if the pax asked for a drink..i would just show them the way to the drinking fountain???? or kindly pour a cup of water to the pax???? which one is better?

Touch'n'oops
15th Nov 2002, 04:18
Trust me that there, just might be seen as playing smart Alec!

I've hit by that qestion my self.

I hostestly said that one did not come to mind. I then went on to say how I would approach a problem.

- Keep a cool head

- Listen to the problem

- Don't shout at anyone, because this never goes very far.

- Seek co-workers advice if I was experiencing problems.

- Remember that I am a professional, and that is how I will conduct myself!

Last thing you should do in an interview is lie. This could mean the next question could ended up with you flustered and trying dig yourself out of a hole with a JCB! Going deeper and deeper!

Who's the interview with? CX?
I noticed you're in HKG!

GOOD LUCK;) ;) ;)

It's just a walk in the park.

dejvu
15th Nov 2002, 07:20
hey :)

that is really great about ur answer tooooooo!!

i m going to have interview with one of the richest airlines

Emirates tomorrow!!!!!!

that's why i m sooooo nervous and i wanna get it so much

dejvu
15th Nov 2002, 08:21
hey Touchy~~~~~~~~

well i really cant think of something in mind.....
mmm explaining to the interviewers about how i will handle a problem..i can see ur point :)

i hope i will get thru it....tomorrow is the big day...it's like the biggest yet!

i m definitely going to tell them this story :

once i was working at the information counter during the typhoon day , there were many strangled pax..i tried all my best to answer them all but there were just too many of them and therefore i asked my colleagues to come to the counter to assist me . questions raised from the pax such as the delayed flights information, waiting area for boarding etc..even though they were very anxious and angry at the time, i could totally understand their stituations as they all wanted to take the flight and leave. so i just listened to them patiently and offered them advices, showed them the way to the airlines desks and took great care of the pax whenever it was necessary for example the elderly and disabled people.

what do u think about the story above?

comments are appreciated!!

IFTB
15th Nov 2002, 12:37
Try to explain to pax why the flight is leaving on time........:D

Sorry, must be the jetlag, I'll go to bed now.:o :o :D

dejvu
15th Nov 2002, 13:13
well i have been thinking another more "suitable" scenerio :cool:

about pax smoking in the terminal building.. :) and how i persuade and explain him to smoke in the designated area and how he refused to co-operate with me and how i told him he could be arrested if he didnt put off the cigarette..........

think it is going be a great story to tell........:O

but apparently.after the first day walk in interview
Emirates eliminated ALL MALE applicants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is very hard to believe but maybe they r different since they r jusy walk - in
i received an invitation letter by post from Emirates..i think they did some screenings before sending the letters, right??????????

:rolleyes:

Floaty
15th Nov 2002, 15:01
Dejvu... I think you need to RELAAAAAAX! :)

Emirates selected YOU because you match their entry criteria. They are not there to kick you out of the room. It is true, I heard sometime they only select candidates by gender but if it was the case this time, they wouldn't have invited you just for the sake of wasting your/their time.

I participated myself 6 months ago to a selection process in Sydney (I wasn't invited, I just turned up and asked to be considered). I didn't make it to stage two... might be because I am married but I'm still not sure. The interview is quite nice. Usually 2 people are in charge: 1 person speaking, the other taking notes and going through CVs with a marker pen. What worried them the most during the interview, was to find out who would be ready to relocate to Dubai without problems (culture wise I guess) and who would not make it. They explained to us a bit about the company, got us to watch a video about Dubai and the daily routine as flight crew, then questions time. After that, we had to separte in to groups and sit down in circle. The topic was "how is it to live in Dubai?". They stay around the group and take notes on how you speak and interact.

During the break, they consulted each other and then called the people they wanted to stay. At this stage I was out but as far as I know, the afternoon is panel interview. I guess around 30 minutes per candidate (which is quite usual for airline interviews).
I don't know about the questions but I am sure it's the classic style regarding customer service bla bla bla...

As you can see there are many things to be done before you complete your panel interview. I really hope they'll just love you and that you get the job, but I also believe you need to be relaxed and "fresh" when you turn up. Giving the PERFECT answer to ONE question regarding your customer service will not be significant. Being yourself, remaining positive, showing your friendly and approachable personality is your BEST ASSET. If then you have a strong customer service through years of experience, well good! But if you don't, or you still need some experience before MASTERING THE SKILL of customer service, then oh well! You'll learn with time... (I don't know how old you are but I imagine you are quite young, just an idea)...and guess what? They know that!

My tip: go for a swim, to the movies, smile to people around you and do things that make you happy! This is MY way of turning up HAPPY AND FLUFFY to interviews! It might work for you as well! ;) :D :D

Good luck!!!...

Mrs. FloatJockey

nickmelb
16th Nov 2002, 00:11
floaty

ahhh remember our EK interview in sydney....god that was ages ago!

blue cheese
16th Nov 2002, 01:11
Hi Floaty,

I had an interview with EK last week in Kuala Lumpur. Your selection procedure was different from mine.

Mine was watched a video, then questions time. After that, we have this english test. No psychomatic ( I dont remmeber how to spell that word) test or maybe I havent reach that stage yet. THen we have lunch break and come back to have group discussion. THey eliminate candidates after this. I manage to hold on. Frankly, I dont know what kind of people they are looking for as they were ex-cabin crew, customer service personnel and those customer oriented people. Most wasnt selected and I was scratching my head wondering how they make their selection. ANyay, I was happy.

The next 2 rounds, we have another group disc with the remaining candidtaes. AFter the 3rd discusion, they eliminate again and this time, I didnt hold on tight enough and got kicked out... :( They only chose 5 out of the 10 candidates. I think they have more group discusiion and I think the panel interv is on another day as they have written it on the letter.

I was disappointed but I will try again in 6 months! :) Hope I ave better luck the next time. :)

Dejvu, remmeber to relax and best of luck!

dejvu
16th Nov 2002, 05:23
hey ........

just wanna let u know i had the interview today
and bam!!!! i failed!

the probably reason is i looked a bit too young during the interview..

the interview was

video
english essay
group discussion
then eliminate people

ok i was eliminated after the group discussion
but there were only 6 people left among 200+

and 6 of them worked as cabin crew before

so i think EK is looking for someone who ;s been working as a flight attendant

but then i think they only hire one or two people afterall from Hong Kong

even i speak fluent english and others i didnt get a chance to have a seat in the second interview

anyway..i think language is not important at all in Emirates!

but sure i will try again in 6 months..maybe even fly to somewhere for the interview :) as far as i concern , u dont have to be a resident in hongkong to attend the interview
it means u can go for any walk in interview of Emirates wherever they hold one!!! :)

hope it helps u guys

the english essay topic was

what is the most important decision u have ever made??

group discussion topic

what will u expect the differences in cultures when u arrive Dubai?

cheers everyone!

Touch'n'oops
17th Nov 2002, 10:46
How did it go?

Hope you kept your cool! Even though that's hard enough in the HKG melting pot!

Tell!:confused:

dejvu
17th Nov 2002, 14:57
that i m glad i had met some really great guys there

just that i dont think they hire a lot of people from HKG
i think only 6 from 1000 people......

also they dont have really clear criteria in choosing people...as long as the interviewers like u then u get the chance

also during the group discussion
the interviewers ( only 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) walked between 2 groups ( about 30 of us ) and gave marks

i absolutely think it was such an unfair game!!!!!! people might not be talking while they were away , some of them gave really good points during the discussion but the bitchy interviewers were not around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how could it be possible!!!!!!!!! especially the Egyptian female interviewer!!!! everyone should be careful about her coz she eliminated everyone on the first walk in day!!!!!!!!!!!!

Touch'n'oops
17th Nov 2002, 15:47
To me it sounds very dodgy and Unprofessional!

I don't think they really have an idea of how to go about it!

Don't worry. You are just a victim of a crap system!;)

The future holds better options.:cool: :cool: :cool:

cyberkitty
17th Nov 2002, 17:24
try and try again.. don't give up hope. btw, an egyptian lady? a friend of mine had the interview last yr and she mention abt that lady, might be the same one. anyway, how abt the other lady? where is she from?

blue cheese
18th Nov 2002, 00:50
Cheer up Dejvu,

try again in 6 months. I dont think it's advisable for you to fly to their walk-in interv at another destination. THey are pretty strict about their rule. During my interview on the Nov 7, both the intervewers got pissed off when some of the candidates didnt follow rules/instructions. SO best bet is, dont blacklist yourself!

I am very sure I had the same interviewers as they said they are going to HK after my interview. If i am not mistaken, the ireland lady is DAnielle and the egyptian is Rhonda. She's a bit strict but both are very helpful during my interv. Got to be the fasting and jet-lag that's making her bitchy! :)

Dejvu, no, I dont think they only hire ex-crew. My interview. we have about 12 ex-crew. but only three was selected to go into the second round. I was selected and I am a designer (far from a customer service personnel), one fresh graduate in Marketing, one promoter, one teacher or something similar...

My advice is try again. ;) and hope for better luck.

Have you tried Cathay? I understand that Cathay only hire Hong Kong citizen. Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheer up! :)

dejvu
18th Nov 2002, 14:15
well the interviewers

one from egypt...she was really.... >_< not friendly at all

the other one from Ireland YES :) she is called danielle :) and she said my name ( LIAM) is also irish and i told her it's given by my grandma
but that didnt impress her at all.....

just that i think the interview was pretty unfair ......

i tried Cathay Pacific before :))) and i got into the final interview too..lucky me it was an aussie who interview me..not the chinese one..coz i really have a strong british accent..

but then i didnt get an offer
coz when they asked me about my background ..hahaha..i told them i knew the flight operations, airport and airline operations and blah blah blah..as i work for the airport authority..

then she was not interested as she said i was kinda too professional and too qualified for the cabin crew job...but then i m young ( 20 !! ) and i m already a terminal supervisor...errrrrrrrr what a pity...maybe i should just make up my CV saying i m just a waiter :) that would help...... haha

i really wanna try some European airlines..like Lufthansa..as they sponsor the chinese crews from CHINA to move to live in germany...what an offer :)

Floaty
18th Nov 2002, 21:53
Sorry to hear about your interview Dejvu... and sorry Blue Cheese, I didn't come back to you when you wrote to me in October (I was overseas)...

Emirates is a hard one to crack! Ask Nickmelb! :p I know the girl you are talking about (Rhonda), she was in charge of the Sydney recruitment as well. Everything you have done sounds familiar, except for the English test, since in Oz this is not an issue...

Dejvu, your last post leaves me quite speechless... I have been to 7 interviews so far, I am 31, I speak 3 languages fluently, have 15 years work experience in several fields, including customer service, recreational sport, import-export... I've been living in resorts overseas for quite a while... and I STILL I consider myself a PUPPY when it comes to face an airline interview... The people you are calling "b..ch" and describing as unfair or unprofessional have YEARS of experience in flying, training and selecting their cabin crew! I however noticed from your post that you were never hit on the head with a modesty stick, where you?? :D

Good luck for your future interviews. Maybe leave Emirates in another basket for 6 months and study the other eggs for a while...

Cheers!

Mrs. FloatJockey

blue cheese
19th Nov 2002, 02:18
Floaty,

It is ok... no sweat about it. Although I didnt make it thru the final round, I guess I was doing ok... better than what i expected, so I am going to stay positive and try again in 6 months. I just hope they come down to KL by then.

Were you a cabin crew before? I applied for SQ 3 times before but I didnt get it.

You seems to be quite knowledgeable about airline. I was wondering if you know any other airline that take ASian? From what I found ut on the website, not much choice for us Asian. I would like to get a feedback from you. Thanks.

blue cheese

:cool:

dejvu
19th Nov 2002, 03:43
hey blue cheese

in fact we do have some advantages :) as long as we speak asian languages..

u have to know CHINA is a great market and lots of airlines want to get into this market

but the point is..maybe there are some other airlines hiring asian crew but they need to be the local resident..u get my point ,right?

for example, Air New Zealand is dying for chinese speaking cabin crew but then u have to be the resident there, holding a valid passport...also Qantas and Air Canada....just that we ;ve got no luck in certain passport rules... :)

or anyone knows more about this "passport" thing?