PDA

View Full Version : Life in HK

Capt Jellybean
11th Nov 2002, 12:41
Have had a CV in with CX for a few years now and up until recently I have aspired to join the airline (ban aside). More recently I am reconsidering and am hoping that someone with exp in HK can give me an insight into life there.

I am from Aus and value living in a typical standalone Aussie house with a backyard for my kids and my dog to play in, and a car in the drive - is this unrealistic in HK? Doing without the car would be OK, but I have decided that I could not move my family into an apartment block...any opinions?

CJ :confused:

BASIS
11th Nov 2002, 13:05
How much money you got??? Hopefully you own a oil field or two!

jungly
11th Nov 2002, 20:54
rubbish.....

rental prices are down plenty. you can now rent in stanley, away from the city noise, inside the SO budget. ground floor apartments with lawn/yard for rug-monsters and filthy animals.

try www.hongkonghomes.com

bear in mind that the SO package includes rent up to HKG$ 20,750/month. after 2yrs double it

Cpt. Underpants
11th Nov 2002, 22:53
Not after two years, son...after upgrade to JF/O which is getting longer and longer...

jtr
11th Nov 2002, 23:33
Capt, I think jungly may have been refering to the change in SO allowance after 2 years, to what it should be from year 1 (the same as all other aircrew)

As for jungly's helpful link to HKHOMES, and reference to stanley being inside the SO budget... I just had a look at the rental page for Stanley. Prices range from 35,000-150,000. So NO, you can't rent in stanley on an SO budget.

In the New territories you may be able to pick up a stand alone house, ok view, with a garden, and somewhere to park the car, for around 30,000.

As for a car. Work on $HK2/km (Half of that is petrol $11/lt) Yes thats right $AUD2.5/lt

Alpha Leader
12th Nov 2002, 00:33
Try this site for a wider selection of HK homes:

http://www.gohome.com.hk/english/