PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific Reqruitment Ban (Merged).

BAC_1_11_wanabe
9th Nov 2002, 18:43
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the reqriutment ban is still in effect? If so, what progress has been made with union/mangement relations? Is there anything we can do to help? Has there been any recent hiring at Cathay?

Please do a search of this forum as you will find many references to the ban in several topics, suggest these two for starters:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66220

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70336

BlueEagle - Moderator.

realitycx
11th Nov 2002, 08:48
Hi BAC_1_11,

I tried to reply to you, but was unable - hence new topic. (Perhaps a moderator could add this reply to your thread)

Yes, the Ban is still in force - you may have seen the banner ad that HKAOA run on PPrune.

Yes, there is some recruitment taking place, in contravention of the ban. The future for these individuals is very uncertain.

Another thread you may find useful is here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56767)

This is a link to the HKAOA site for more information. (http://bbs.hkalpa.org/public/ban.htm)

realitycx

BlueEagle
11th Nov 2002, 09:56
I have unlocked this thread to allow an up to date debate on the ban, if others wish to add their piece.

Please keep it civil, thanks.

BlueEagle - Moderator.

pilotabroad
12th Nov 2002, 06:26
Yes, the ineffective ban is still in place. About 170 have joined under it. If I was you I would apply and accept an interview as ground courses are full until June next year, so it will be a long time before you are offered a start date and would have to decide about the ban...worry about getting an offer of employment at this stage....think about the ban when the time comes.

A few things to consider:
1. The ban was put in place by the AOA committee (ie the 49ers) NOT the members - there was never a debate or vote
2. Internal promotions in CX are occuring at about the same rate new joiners are joining - no one (including AOA members) has turned down a promotion
3. By the time you are offered a start date assuming you were interviewed today there will be about 280 other 'banbreakers'
4. Today 56% of CX pilots are AOA members. With the ban on new joiners from joining the AOA, retirements and pilots leaving the AOA I hate to think what the % of CX pilots will be in the AOA when you do join

Again: Worry about getting and passing an interview...don't worry about the ban. By the time your start date comes around the full membership of the AOA will be able hold meetings in the helper's quarters of a small HKG apartment

Wizofoz
12th Nov 2002, 09:07
Reallity Cx,

Yes, there is some recruitment taking place, in contravention of the ban. The future for these individuals is very uncertain.

Care to elaborate? As far as I was aware, these people are full time employees, and there are very strict rules with regard to their treatment imposed by management.

So in what way uncertain?

BusyB
12th Nov 2002, 11:59
Wizofoz, There are lots of very strict rules about lots of things, they are all ignored by management when it suits them!!:rolleyes:

Geddy
13th Nov 2002, 00:22
"A few things to consider:
1. The ban was put in place by the AOA committee (ie the 49ers) NOT the members - there was never a debate or vote
2. Internal promotions in CX are occuring at about the same rate new joiners are joining - no one (including AOA members) has turned down a promotion
3. By the time you are offered a start date assuming you were interviewed today there will be about 280 other 'banbreakers'
4. Today 56% of CX pilots are AOA members. With the ban on new joiners from joining the AOA, retirements and pilots leaving the AOA I hate to think what the % of CX pilots will be in the AOA when you do join "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Garbage.

1. There was a long, huge debate and it was a group decision.
2. There is no internal ban. No point in everyone else loosing their job.
3. Wong numbers. Oh and they are called replacement workers.
4. More very wrong info. There are a couple of hundred locals who are afraid of the sack if they join though they almost all support the AOA in "other" ways. There are well over 1200 in the AOA with about 1600 pilots.

Come on and join! Get yourself on the IFALPA list.

fire wall
13th Nov 2002, 09:53
Geddy, please account for the following:

1. What huge debate. No one I know who was/were AOA members attest to ever being part of any debate for the implementation of the IFALPA ban.
2.Correct there is no internal ban......a point that many of us hang our head in shame that an organisation (ie the AOA) that purports to represent us should expose us in such a bad light. Why should the new joiners fight this battle for us? Please explain to me how this is their fight. The common catch cry is that we are trying to fix this problem for the future pilot fraternity......utter b.s.......we aren't doing anything because we are too cosy in our little fox holes....let the others do the dirty work by default. I say here and now this is a line of sheer and utter cowardice and I am ashamed of this stance.
3.Again correct re the wrong nos.......they are even worse with the current membership below 1080 and the numbers of those that are financial at about 65%.
4. "A couple of hundred locals" is a lie, I know it's a lie, you know it's a lie and so does the rest of the AOA body. Just a hint....why not tell the truth if you wish to win the favour of the international pilot body in support of a resolution to this utter mess.

Finally this use by you and others of the term "scabs". When we have our next meeting I want you to identify yourself...."I am Geddy" will suffice...and then I want you to demand your right to strike. When and only when you do such and we all walk out en mass do you or others have the right to use the word scab.....I will be watching for you and rest assured I will be the first to applaud you.....some how I think my hands will be silent.....please have a backbone and prove me wrong.......otherwise just wind your neck in and stop doing the cause more harm than good.

iatwhit
13th Nov 2002, 11:48
Bravo Fire Wall, Bravo!!! ;)

FlexibleResponse
13th Nov 2002, 15:21
Hmmm... I think BusyB has the inside line on this one.

ironbutt57
13th Nov 2002, 19:25
I would suspect that fire wall speaks for a majority of cx pilots union or not...have heard these sentiments echoed by a mate of mine verrry senior as well...seems we only see the rabbble-rousers here.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6feetunder
16th Nov 2002, 07:42
There have been 55 new hires since the ban was implemented, not 170.

jungly
17th Nov 2002, 16:27
......and increasing at 2 per week until at least Dec 2003. (You will get the 170 you mention in approx October next year!)
Of course there is also the freighter fleet. They will add another 35. ie: assuming no change to the status quo, 12% of all CX pilots will be "replacement workers" within 12mths.

ironbutt57
17th Nov 2002, 17:25
hey wait guys...all the asl guys were called scabs by the aoa guys just a few short years back....what happened? aoa need their dues money?