PDA

View Full Version : Padlocks!!

clear prop!!!
1st Mar 2002, 02:50
Boy,…the padlocks are being clamped on fast and furious these days!!

I understand the need to conserve bandwidth, but come on chaps!!!

I went in to correct something on the post sponsorships to find it had been moved to ‘military’

Now I’m sorry chaps but the old RAF flying scholarships and indeed these RAFA schemes are, and have been, the springboard for more than just a few wannabes over the years (WWW included I think).

Its tough enough right now to get started, so surely it is not unreasonable to have this sort of info for ‘would-be’ wannabes here as opposed to ‘military’ where there is the thick end of no chance of it being found!

I know it’s your train set chaps, and you can do what you like with it, but the use of the old padlock does seem to be a bit indiscriminate these days.

Anyway, what I was trying to edit was:

<a href="http://www.rafa.org.uk/flyingscholaships" target="_blank">www.rafa.org.uk/flyingscholaships.html</a>

Good luck

[ 28 February 2002: Message edited by: clear prop!!! ]</p>

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Mar 2002, 15:38
There is a push on from HQ to focus Wannabes a bit more on the commercial side of things and get away from the endless PPL/Hour building threads which mightbe better placed in Private Flying.

I agree with your sentiment that the RAF scholarships are more a Wannabe issue than a Private Flying issue. I didn't move the thread and due to the size of PPRuNe these days it could be that this forum is moderated by up to a dozen people in a day. You have to accept that things have to change a little.

Cheers,

scroggs
1st Mar 2002, 16:15
Clear Prop. .as WWW says, we've had a bit of the whip cracked over us just recently, and we are trying to be a bit tougher in our enforcement of the Pprune editorial policy. That means that, unless the thread is strictly to do with obtaining a professional, commercial licence, or a first commercial job, we are supposed to move the thread to the appropriate forum.. .In the case of the thread you mention, Military Aircrew is the appropriate thread. Notwithstanding that some Wannabes have experience of the Flying Scholarship system, in Mil Aircrew you will find some of the people that administrate and operate the system, and who are far more likely to have the knowledge to answer the question authoritatively.. .Similarly, questions about PPLs, flying schools and hour building will often be moved to Private Flying unless the topic is of direct relevance to ATPL wannabes. So, I'm afraid you will see more use of the padlock until people get used to the new rules.. .Actually, I sometimes get the impression that Wannabes are a bit afraid to venture out into the other forums, or perhaps aren't even aware that they exist! Pprune is a big setup, with many, many useful areas. Don't get fixated on Wannabes as the only source of useful gen. And we'll try to share the bandwidth use out more equally, so that you can actually access the site in the first place!

[ 01 March 2002: Message edited by: Scroggs ]</p>

Polar_stereographic
1st Mar 2002, 17:42
Clearly I suspect that the issue has more to do with where the line should be drawn on this one.

I for one do not agree with it all the time, and I'm sure that others would agree too. The problem is that a debate about this at best would result in a quick application of padlocks, and at worst a reply along the lines of 'this is our list and we do as we like. Set up your own if you don't like it' (and yes, I've seen such responses - devalues the list big time in my view).

It's a fine line as to what is a wannabe issue. The availability or not of employment I think should be in for example, but enough said.

PS

Wee Weasley Welshman
2nd Mar 2002, 05:26
Not at all Polar. I usually say something along the lines of "as always your comments on editorial policy are more than welcome". Which they are.

A reasonable question was asked and a comprehensive answer plus justification was provided by both Moderators. What more could/can we do?

Sometime we do basically tell people to shut up and go start their own board if they have a complete moan at us. There is an element of despotism at PPRuNe HQ. This will continue to be the case as long as it is run as a not for profit organisation, by volunteers, at no cost to the user.

Cheers,

scroggs
2nd Mar 2002, 17:24
Inevitably, the drawing of 'the line' is potentially controversial, and can result in some inappropriately passionate discussion! When all's said and done, we are humans making a judgement call, and we are subject to all the same influences as you guys are. Let's say I come in from the pub (assuming I were a drinker), having had an argument with the landlord, and been refused nookie with the girlfriend on my return home. I go back downstairs, contemplate sleeping on the sofa (again) and decide to fire up Pprune to lighten my mood. On Wannabes, I find lots of lovely posts about PPLs, Flying Scholarships, what airline to use to get to Timbuctu, and a fiery argument about the best flying club in Taransay. I might just be a little harder on you guys than I would be had I logged on after a lovely Sunday lunch, feeling at peace with the world, and with a glass or two of vintage port inside me (were I a drinker).. .See? Right now, I might have a hangover, if I were a drinker, so don't upset me..... :)

twistedenginestarter
2nd Mar 2002, 19:30
I'm not passing judgement on whether you should padlock things or not but let me say it is quite illogical to refer to bandwith(ie server loading). Moving threads does not reduce server loading. It increases it marginally as people who are interested now have to move forums instead of scrolling or pageing down.