PDA

View Full Version : SAA 747 hurled my bakkie through the air !

Gunship
8th Nov 2002, 08:10
IOL Link this time .. (http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=13&art_id=vn20021108061133386C712006&set_id=1)

'Jet thrust hurled my bakkie through the air'

By Zelda Venter

A Boksburg woman is claiming R820 000 in damages from SA Airways after an accident involving a Boeing jet engine.

Emerentia Maria van Rensburg, 44, was at Johannesburg Airport on business, driving her bakkie on a strip next to a runway, when the accident occurred.

She told the Pretoria High Court she was struck by the thrust from the aircraft's engine, which resulted in her vehicle being hurled through the air.

Van Rensburg, who was a manager for a Boksburg company at the time, said as a result she fractured several face bones, broke two ribs, two vertebrae, her left thigh and collar bone. Her broken ribs also perforated both lungs.

She was hospitalised from November 24 to December 19 1998, had received extensive surgery and still has to undergo more surgery.

Van Rensburg claimed that the accident was caused by SAA's negligence. She said its staff must have realised that starting the 747 engine could pose a danger to people nearby.

SAA said Van Rensburg ignored warnings and entered the area to the rear of the engine when she was warned not to do so.

The case was postponed indefinitely.

StressFree
8th Nov 2002, 17:45
Gunship,
Interesting story, I would love to know the truth........

On another issue; we spoke some months ago about the terrible situation in Zim. In the UK all we've heard lately is the news about the VERY brave churchman who has publicly spoken out against the horrendous Mugabe and firmly blames him for the trouble in that once great nation. He has had the courage to tell the World about the impending famine that now exists in a country that just 2 years ago actually exported food.............The 'new landowners' (war veterans!!!) don't have a clue how to be a farmer. Surely if the US want to get rid of Hussain in Iraq then they should also do away with the bastard Mugabe.

Whats the latest from where you are? The UK 'government' has been so unbelievably pathetic on this issue that I'm embarrassed to hold a UK passport. Please tell me its got better.

Regards.

9th Nov 2002, 07:25
Hey I actually remember that incident! Not too well obviously, because I thought that she'd died! What I do recall was something to the effect that she had driven past the entrance to the SAA run-up bay, whilst a particular run-up was in progress. Needless to say she was blown away! Nasty incident huh!

Gunship
10th Nov 2002, 08:08
I do not want to test my dear friend 4HP on his moderation capabilities as I know he CAN push the button on us :D

126.9 , I read an Afrikaans Article on this lady's accident and it seems much more serious than this "tongue in the cheek" article on NEWS 24. She suffered sever injuries and is definately very lucky to be alive. Apparently there is some pictures of the bakkie (pick - up / LDV for those non - South Africans) ... but maybe it is sitting with somebody that do not want to send them ... like I am sitting with Bali - bombing pictures that will not be re-send.

I just find it very, very strange that she could enter the "blast area" as it used to be very clearly marked and normally guarded. Well taht was in the old days when I did test flights accross Jan Smuts at Atlas and we also sometimes used the area in question.

Stressfree, I will answer you flying related ... how's that 4HP ;) The Churchman is VERY brave .. I saw his whole interview on SABC Afica channel - it was more intense than that on BBC World. Not only is the man VERY brave .. he is treading on toes which he should no normally will let him end 6 vt under. Luckily these guys get's interviews and when the press exposes you it makes it much more difficult to let you "dissapear".

Flying : In 94 I did a flight to Kariba (one of the best destinations ever !) - the Zim $ was 2 to a South African Rand. Last week the "official" Zim $ to a US $ was 750 but the best a Zim friend of mine could get was 1600 Zim $ for ONE US $ !

I remember paying Zim$ 80.00 for landing fees and complaining about it ! And it was not in King Arthur's time - this was in 94 ! A beer was Zim$ 2 ! The local beer Zambezi if I remember correctly. How things have changed .... sorry DG - hope there are enough flying content in this article bru :cool:

Enough said - moerse head ache after last night's loss against France. My best friend here is a damn Kiwi and after OUR losses we tried our luck in demolishing the beer stocks (a Castle here will cost you $0.50 - a sh*t beer anyway but to give you an indication) - real beer will cost you $2 a shot - ok enough - on the couch watching SA thrashing the Sri Lankan's ... good day zzzz http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/coffee.gif