PDA

View Full Version : 500 fpm ROC/ROD in LTMA

Alteburger
7th Nov 2002, 21:58
I've always understood that the minimum R.O.climb or descent in UK airspace had to be 500fpm. Indeed a Gulfstream/B747 airprox a while back was a direct result of this not being adhered to I seem to remember. I have heard recently that this 500fpm may not be required within the London TMA. Anyone have a definitive answer on the subject? Relevance to the question being reducing speed while descending in the slippery 757 without taking miles and miles to do it.

vertigo
7th Nov 2002, 23:25
In the LTMA, 500'+ rate of descent is not expected below the transition level.I t is still expected approaching and within the holding stacks.

Duke of Burgundy
8th Nov 2002, 13:44
Alteburger - The precise requirement in relation to rates of climb and descent when flying in accordance with an ATC clearance is that pilots should inform the controller if they anticipate that their rate of climb or descent will be less than 500 fpm, or if at any time their vertical speed is actually less than 500 fpm.

This applies only when above the Transition Altitude. Below the TA there is no obligation to tell ATC about a low descent rate being carried out for the purpose of complying with Continuous Desent Approach Procedures or indeed any other reason.

To summarise, there is no prohibition as such on rates of climb or descent of less than 500 fpm when necessary for your own operational reasons as long as when above the TA you tell ATC.

In the Gulfstream/B747 airprox, the fact that the crew of the B747 did not inform ATC that they had reduced their rate of descent in order to slow down was only one of the causal factors.

Alteburger
12th Nov 2002, 07:51
Thanks very much guys -