PDA

View Full Version : Scare For Saa Passengers

Gunship
7th Nov 2002, 07:10
Link (http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,1113,2-7-1442_1281467,00.html)

Scare for SAA passengers

Wolfram Zwecker

Johannesburg - A passenger and an air hostess were slightly injured when a Boeing 747 SP from South African Airways (SAA), on its way to Bangkok passed through air turbulence and suddenly lost altitude.

Zanele Mbeki, wife of president Thabo Mbeki, was apparently on the flight, said a passenger who wanted to remain anonymous. She was on her way to join the president in Cambodia. The president's office could not confirm the rumours.

Rich Mkondo, executive manager of corporate communications at SAA, confirmed that two people were slightly injured on the flight. The incident happened about 20:35 on Monday evening. A doctor on board the flight examined the passenger and member of the cabin crew.

In another incident - barely a year after the supersonic Concorde airplane was brought back into service - passengers had a narrow escape when one of the four engines developed a problem and the plane rapidly descended 8 000m.

The Concorde was on its way from New York to Paris when one of the engines played up. The pilot immediately switched off the engine and performed an emergency descent from 18 000m to 10 000m while reducing speed to subsonic levels.

Passengers were apparently clinging to each other while glasses and cutlery crashed to the floor. Nobody was injured.

The Concorde, operated exclusively by Air France and British Airways, was taken back into service in November 2001 after a an Air France Concorde crashed shortly after take-off more than two years ago. There were no survivors.

B Sousa
7th Nov 2002, 11:21
Most important note of that whole posting is what does the President need to do in Cambodia. Is there not enough problems to address in SA?
Best guess is the alliance between the Communists and SA

arnar
7th Nov 2002, 14:17
Thanks Bert for assisting me and my mate on a ferry to Addis a while back. Your assistance was of great help. Just out of curiosity did you work in law enforcement out of Sacramento. Just curious, hope I am not out of line.

Arnar

B Sousa
8th Nov 2002, 11:16
As a Matter of fact 27 years Sacramento PD.....Retired.

arnar
10th Nov 2002, 07:04
This is a small world is it not, I read a book the other day and I recognised your name and profession as a heli flyer, had to be the same man. Thanks again for your help with the ferry.

kind regards

Siggi

B Sousa
10th Nov 2002, 09:13
Im sure that was the" Tin Man" by Dale Brown. Albeit it could have been a couple others. Now Im curious

arnar
14th Nov 2002, 01:20
I had to do with a guy called Tait and a bunch of bikers. I picked it up by a chanse on the airport in Chopenhagen. I still havent finished it so dont tell me how it ends.

brgds

Arnar

B Sousa
14th Nov 2002, 09:12
OK, That One, Yes it was interesting.......Yves Lavigne wrote it.
Tony is alive and well. He did more for Law Enforcement than some COPs I know, quite a ballsy guy.