PDA

View Full Version : Getting PPL in Florida?!!

pearse.finnegan
6th Nov 2002, 21:48
Hi Folks!

I am hoping to train in Florida early next year for my JAR PPL and seriously need some good sound advise on a good professional school to go to that is well priced...is that too much to ask?!!

I am 29 now and was also wondering if I am too old to start a career as a prof. pilot?? If anyone has been to florida can you tell me of your experiences please?

much appreciated...
Pearse

carbonfibre
7th Nov 2002, 17:32
Not too old matey

go for it, even if you dont go all the way theres plenty of fun to be had in flying full stop

School sin FL ive been to a few, depends if you want JAA or FAA PPL , EFT seem to be good, American flyers at Pompano are very professional for FAA PPL as are NAC at naples, and voyager at Merrit island

Do yourself a favour avoid IFTA at Stuart and Naples though bad for your wallet

Good luck

:cool:

ps, be sure they have got visa approval though that could save you a lot of heartache:rolleyes: :cool: :D :)

Ian_Wannabe
7th Nov 2002, 19:35
Hey pearse.finnegan,

Don't want to scare you, but just a bit of advice which I learned from when I was in the same situation of looking to do my PPL in the USA.

Beware of messages from Pprune which make out that one flying school is the best thing since sliced bread. There can be (not saying there are) messages from people who work there or from people who will get something out of advertising that school.

I'm not saying there isn't a school in the USA which is perfect, but its easy to be lead into thinking one school is brilliant, then you find out it isn't and you've sunk £3k into it.

I think I was a victim to this last year!

But 99.999999% of messages you do recieve will be genuine.

Good luck!

(btw this isn't an attack on pprune, I love pprune and its helped me a GREAT deal and I never ever want to see it go!)

Ian

Flyin'Dutch'
7th Nov 2002, 20:17
Well

Lets say that it is not as expensive to place an add in the UK mags as it is to run a good flying school with reasonable looking/working aircraft.

Not all gold that glimmers.

IMHO it is possible to find the most clapped out aircraft on that side of the pond!

Have fun.

FD

[u]
7th Nov 2002, 20:53
You can get a list of all the Flightschools that have a
CAA accreditation from the CAA website.

You can find a partial list on: http://dejoode.com/vliegen/links.html
(right column).

A Dutch guy who did his JAR PPL in CA at UKFT listed his
experience here: http://flight.gids.nl/travellog.html

Which ever school you use, take care ! :)

Cheers!

Grob Driver
8th Nov 2002, 20:31
I can recomend Orlando flight training... I thought they were very good. Would be happy to talk to you about them off the forum if it helps. otherwise, just fire away with your questions!

Oh, LOOK INTO VISAS. I'm going flying in san diego in 3 weeks and the visa thing has been a bit of a mine field! I can recomend a very cheep school if you fancy calafornia instead of florida!