PDA

View Full Version : Nairobi airshow

perceval
3rd Nov 2002, 11:30
for all of you who weren't there , we had a new edition of the Nairobi airshow , the first after a five year gap .For all of us flying in kenya , it was a nice w-end , a welcome change to the daily routines of wilson airport and an example of good things to come in the future . As published in SA press (always quick to criticize) , it was indeed small and had a couple of organisation mishap , but nothing more than teething problems .Static displays included a couple of oldies (ubiquitous DC3 , Rarer french Max Holste 1152 Broussard ..) , Homebuilds , gyrocopter and a selection of small and medium transports .Flying exhibs were fun with loads of low passes from our charter and airline jocks , aerobatics , skydiving , heli works (squirrels ,enstrom and even the police MI 17 )... and of course some joy rides for the kids and the bigger ones courtesy of airkenya and some local charters .
All safe , entertaining and well done despite the presence of birds around the runways and the fact that the airport (HKNW) had to remain open for the rest of us still working .
At the end , on the sunday we had a sundowner low pass by an unexpected RAF KC130 (Cheers guys) followed by a nice fireworks display . Basically a good day out . Thanks to the organisers ,the ATC and all the Kenyans and other pilots involved .
For the future , bigger and better is planned , and we need more involvement from all around africa and beyond , Everybody welcome ...

Gunship
3rd Nov 2002, 13:57
Great Kenya !!!

So nice to hear about something positive coming up ..

What was the negative press that you got from SA ?

Cheers and brgds, :D

3rd Nov 2002, 14:05
I wouldn't give the SA press a second thought if I were you. They have to find something to detract from the boredom of reporting nothing but: RAPE, MURDER, CORRUPTION, ROBBERY, HIJACKINGS and other such mundane issues! :D

Yossarian
5th Nov 2002, 03:01
Very sorry to say I didn't know about it. Would like to have been there. Can we expect another show next year? Same time?

Golf Oscar
5th Nov 2002, 05:09
I have spoken to some people from SA who attended the show, and what the locals lacked in aircraft they made up with real "hospitality." I believe the "Pitts" as always, gave a great show. Does anybody know who flew the TP Dak? I saw some video footage, looked very impressive!!!:)

shenzi_rubani_HTAR
7th Nov 2002, 02:48
Hey Perv, is that you?
Mambo mzee!
You still at it in HTKW?

perceval
11th Nov 2002, 08:55
to answer a few questions : The article was in SA pilot ( or might be in next months , we saw it on the net ) , That wasn't really nasty but a bit condescending , y know , sort of "we've got so much better back home ". Well , we know , but you gotta start somewhere .
Talking of which , another one is scheduled next year around the same dates .Tune on the aeroclub of EA website (dunno the adress but a quick search on google or smthg should do the trick ), they even have an -EMAILING list to keep people updated on local aeronautical issues .Anyway you'll know more as the time closes .A project is to relocate it to nairobi-JKIA (HKJK) , with a few Biggies and maybe some Military Hardware involved .Let's see .
Damien , is that you on the last mail ?? Where are you buddy ???
Send me a message on :[email protected].
Hope everything is good for you mate >

Komba
12th Nov 2002, 08:20
I agree, the airshow was great. Well done to all that took part, all the aircraft were operated professionaly. The jumpers were very busy all day - good to see.

The DC3 TP driver was Andrei White, fantastic display.

Should be another airshow next year.

Thumbs up to Kenya celebrating 75 years of aviation!!