PDA

View Full Version : Jabiru nosewheel collapses

TheKentishFledgling
2nd Nov 2002, 10:38
A relative of mine who flies a Jabiru had a nosewheel collapse during his landing roll earlier this week.

Both occupants are ok (very shaken up), but the aeroplane is in a bad way. I've only spoken to him briefly, but from what I know the left spar has buckled, the tail smashed up (the Jabiru flipped on its back), and the engine will need some serious work done on it, if it's worth saving....and that's only some of the damage :-(

Apparently, there is a history of Jabiru nosewheel collapses, especially over this last Summer. Does anyone know anything about this?

Many thanks,
tKF

Flyin'Dutch'
2nd Nov 2002, 11:12
Hi Fledgling

Dunno about it myself but think you may stand half a chance if you have a look at the PFA website.

If you are not a member mail me and I will see what I can find.

:rolleyes:

FD

TheKentishFledgling
2nd Nov 2002, 11:22
Thanks FD.

I am a PFA member, and have put sommat on the PFA bulletin board. Will have a hunt around the PFA main site in a few mins - I'm currently hunting through the Jabiru Owners Club BB which someone poitned me at!

Many thanks,
tKF

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Nov 2002, 13:31
Not heard of that being a particular problem, and a search on the AAIB website only showed one previous at http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/bulletin/oct02/glois.htm

However, I have read other reports where Jabiru aircraft tended to be overweight and out of CG. The case reported on the AAIB website would certainly be consistent with a very fwd CG and possibly overloading.

G