PDA

View Full Version : Photo ID in the US

david viewing
1st Nov 2002, 13:42
After October 28, 2002, the FAA requires pilots to carry photo ID.

Here's an extract from the rule: The FAA revises 14 CFR § 61.3(a) to require each person to carry a photo identification when exercising the privileges of a pilot certificate. The photo identification in most instances likely will be a driver's license issued by a State, the District of Columbia, or a territory or possession of the United States. It may also be a government identification card issued by the Federal government or a State, the District of Columbia, or a territory or possession of the United States, a military identification card, or a passport.

Note the emphasis on US Government issued ID. Does any one yet know whether a foreign passport (or other photo ID) will be acceptable for visitors in the US who wish to fly?

FlyingForFun
1st Nov 2002, 14:33
Of course, if you've got an FAA license based on your UK JAA license, you'll have photo idea anyway. Because your FAA license isn't valid without your valid UK license, and your UK license isn't valid without photo id. You do have photo id with you when you fly on your UK license, don't you??? :)

FFF
--------------

distaff_beancounter
1st Nov 2002, 14:51
Since Sept 11th 2001, I have been asked to produce some sort of photo ID at several UK airports. This is usually required before security will let you out of the terminal & back to your light aircraft. So it seems simplest to keep your passport with your pilots licence, even in the UK.

Select Zone Five
1st Nov 2002, 15:19
I wonder why the CAA don't change the PPL to include a photo anyway. I'm amazed that the drivers licence has only recently changed...:rolleyes: (and they look dodgy anyway)

Maybe it's all down to the human rights complainers! "Oh no, photo ID...I ain't carrying that!" (in a whingy voice) :mad:

wrecker
1st Nov 2002, 15:56
Not so many years ago the UK licence contained a photo of the holder on the front page, It also had the endorsement " The holder may at all times re-enter the the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland! That soon got lost It all happended at about the time the licence stopped being held together with string.

singaporegirl
1st Nov 2002, 16:01
Slightly off thread, but many people in the US assume that foreign driving licences all have a photo on them anyway, like the US licences.

A few years ago I was in a bar in Arizona, and because I look so youthful :D the waitress asked to see my driving licence. I took out my passport, which had date of birth and photo, but no - she insisted on my driving licence. So I produced this tatty pink piece of paper with no photo and no date of birth (unless you know how to work it out from the number) - and she went off apparently satisfied. :confused:

englishal
1st Nov 2002, 16:24
A UK passport (or other) will satisfy the requirement to carry photo ID.

Interesting points about the photo ID in the US. I was once refused a bottle of Vodka in a supermarket in the US even though I showed my passport. Wasn't company policy to accept a passport as proof apparently??? (work that one out) On the other hand I was refuesed entry into a bar in Pacific Beach even though I produced my UK driving licence. The young lad on the door said that only California driving licence / state ID or a passport would do....

Oh well, I suppose thats what you get for having such youthful good looks :D

Cheers
EA:)

Select Zone Five
1st Nov 2002, 18:20
:D singaporegirl, you reminded me of the looks I used to get when renting a car in the US. Once when I unfolded the tatty pink and green document the girl behind the desk looked at me like I was from Mars...she actually said 'What's this?' :D

They seem to be more used to it nowadays...I guess the US is becoming more aware of the rest of the world :p

md 600 driver
2nd Nov 2002, 08:06
flying for fun

[and your UK license isn't valid without photo id]

how long has it been uk air law to have photo id.

englishal
2nd Nov 2002, 09:52
If you read somewhere in you licence it says something like ' not valid without photo id' or words to that effect....

Why on earth they don't just stick a photo on it I don't know....

Cheers
EA

Evo
2nd Nov 2002, 10:01
Section IX on page 3 of mine says "a document containing a photo shall be carried for the purposes of identification of the licence holder". So there you go :)

Sensible
2nd Nov 2002, 11:59
Well I got myself a new style drivers licence after some misunderstanding with the California H.P. and my British Drivers Licence. It works for me in the UK as ID and works in the good old USofA too! Fits in my wallet and doesn't get tatty like the passport when carried around plus it's always to hand.

Hands up how many have discovered that they left their drivers licence at home when they have gone to rent a car!

englishal
2nd Nov 2002, 13:29
Slightly off topic but....

Careful about renting a car with the new style drivers licence if you don't have the big A4 bit of paper as well. I have been refused a rental car on several occasions in the UK becasue I didn't have the paper bit with me. Apparently the Photo card is not valid without the paper bit too, so now instead of one tatty paper licence, one ends up with a bigger tatty paper one and a photo card!

Rgds
EA;)

BEagle
2nd Nov 2002, 15:45
There is no requirement to have photo ID on you to make your JAR licence (or NPPL) 'valid'.

The statement quoted by Evo merely means that you cannot use your JAR licence to prove your identity unless you also have some form of photo ID.

Evo
2nd Nov 2002, 15:52
Maybe someone should point that out to AOPA. I've got a copy of Pilot here with an advert from them saying "It is a JAR-FCL requirement to carry a photo ID - the AOPA Air Crew Card does it for you"....

distaff_beancounter
2nd Nov 2002, 17:17
Evo I am amazed & impressed! Someone actually reads their licence :D

Out of interest, I have just blown the moths out of my CAA licence & read it, & it does not seem to mention anything about ID.

So thats all right then .... I can carry on being incognito ;)

englishal
3rd Nov 2002, 11:33
the AOPA Air Crew Card does it for you
Remember that the AOPA Air Crew Card won't satisfy the US authorities, as the ID has to be Government issued...

Cheers
EA:)

Evo
3rd Nov 2002, 15:44
Remember that the AOPA Air Crew Card won't satisfy the US authorities, as the ID has to be Government issued...

Is a state driving licence OK? I've had my UK passport refused as ID a few times in the past because it wasn't US issued ( :rolleyes: ) and so I got myself an Illinois licence a couple of years ago. Normally works, although one pillock in Texas wouldn't accept it because it was from out of state....