PDA

View Full Version : Hour building in the US in spring?

NLM13
25th Feb 2002, 01:31
Hello all. I am thinking about going over to the US in April/May for a bit of a refresher course and some hour building. Not sure about whether to go back to Long beach or try somewhere new. Any one else thinking of going over then, or have any suggestions of schools/clubs etc?

ronnie123
26th Feb 2002, 09:21
Iam planning on the same in calif as well, any knows how the GA situation now, easy to fly IFR at night, or will I keep getting busted by BLACKHAWKs.. .Any help will be great.

Julian
26th Feb 2002, 12:24
I was there in Nov for 2 1/2 weeks just after 911 and flying IFR was the only was to get around due to Enhanced Class B airspace.

You wont get busted as long as you stay away from things such as dams, power stations, sporting stadiums and do as you are told by ATC, I managed to rack up just over 60 hours - all IFR.

Someone here should be able to give you a more upto date brief though...

Julian.

hushkit77
26th Feb 2002, 15:51
Hi guys... I'm intending on doing some more hour building this spring..(see my post on cheap hours). .I havn't been since 911 but I would say they must have relaxed a good bit by now on the restrictions.. .I,ve tried Debenair in Titusville for prices .... .they have a suped up C152 for $41/hr (50hr block). .but if you want a cheap piper then stick to Calif....... no cheaper anywhere than ADP at Brackett. Plus the flying from LA is great. I did a coast to coast from there two years ago.

NLM13, What sort of Experience do you have and what are your intentions when you go out there??

[ 26 February 2002: Message edited by: hushkit77 ]</p>

NLM13
26th Feb 2002, 17:28
Huhkit, I only have about 80 hours TT at the moment. Not sure what to do when over in the US. Maybe an IMC and some more hours. I flew from Long Beach before which I enjoyed.

Sensible
26th Feb 2002, 18:20
I flew in the LAX area in December, had some difficulty in getting VFR clearances through Class B airspace in advance, however, I was vectored through them once en route.

Flew in LA last week and there was no problems at all. You must not circle public meetings, power plants, dams etc. Didn't see any middle eastern pilot trainees though! I think there may be a problem at immigration with visas! I was asked at immigration "what is the purpose of your visit?" I relied "to fly" I was asked a couple of questions about the type of airplanes that I flew and then was wished a pleasant stay! Didn't see any Blackhawks, but several F16s flying in pairs!

Edit:. .Oh ah, did a night flight (early hours) from Las Vegas to the LA area and had no problems at all apart from the fact that the sky was pitch black and so was the terrain!

[ 26 February 2002: Message edited by: Sensible ]

[ 26 February 2002: Message edited by: Sensible ]</p>

ronnie123
28th Feb 2002, 10:41
Sens,. .F16 is no threat to a piper or a cessna, hence they launch blackhawks on us.. .What area did fly in, any where near Camarillo.. .They have a great school there Sun Air.

Billy Bunter
1st Mar 2002, 02:25
I'm off to Long Beach in April. If anyone fancies sharing some time, or just riding shotgun, drop me a line.

yahooair
5th Mar 2002, 00:40
i know a place where you can get 100twin PIC for 5K US in Florida...email me at [email protected]

Sensible
5th Mar 2002, 11:53
Been there,. .. .Flew out of Santa Anna very very near Camarillo, to do a tailwheel rating, Citabria airplane £67.00 per hour wet including instructor beautiful scenery over the mountains and Bracket Archer 181 airplane £36.00 per hour wet. The archer flew like a concrete block after the Citabria!

laurie
5th Mar 2002, 15:37
NLM13,. .. .You still up for that pint? Are you off the idea of NZ? Give us a call...