PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield May Open to SEP's

Soggy
30th Oct 2002, 17:14
I have it on good authority that Sheffield Airport may soon be open to SEP's. The CAA have been looking at the situation as a result of the airport appealing over the "ban" due to being close to a built up residential area.
The CAA are currently reviewing it and may soon rule that SEP's can land there.
Hopefully it will happen and soon!! We need something like this to happen, especially if Finningley gets the go ahead, (Just imagine the restrictions that will be put in place around the Doncaster area!!!!).
Anyway, just a rumour!!!

Soggy :eek: :eek: :D :D :p

Pirate
30th Oct 2002, 17:59
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is an SEP?

A and C
30th Oct 2002, 18:30
single engine piston in JAA speak.

foghorn
30th Oct 2002, 20:07
I hope so as I regularly visit my folks in South Yorkshire and currently use Gamston which is over 20sm away (Netherthorpe's runways are a little too marginal for my liking and offer minimum extra time advantage due to being in the middle of nowhere as opposed to Gamston which is right on the A1).

Splat
30th Oct 2002, 20:24
Foggy,

Me too, but in my case it opens up a visit to the out laws in Chesterfield, so not such good new for me.

Sadly Netherthorpe is even nearer and my mound dos not struggle in there...

See ya

S

QNH 1013
30th Oct 2002, 21:01
Don't get too excited, unless they're going to become a bit more reliable and customer friendly.
Having arranged to fly in twice one Saturday, I was informed after landing that they would be shutting earlier than arranged, but that for an enormous sum they would be prepared to stay open for my return flight!
The ban on single-engine fixed-wing aircraft is interesting. Before the airport got its licence and opened, I was told by one of the senior execs that the S/E restriction originated not from the CAA, but from the airport itself. That conversation is the only evidence I have of this. However, I expect the CAA will be involved in any moves to remove the restriction.
If you look at the airfield and its surroundings, and then compare it to other airfields, I find it difficult to believe that the S/E ban has anything to do with the airfield surroundings.
Incidently, the Sheffield ATIS has now gone silent, and the radio is just Air/Ground, callsign Sheffield Radio. Very sad to see any airfield under utilised.

Bodie
30th Oct 2002, 21:01
foghorn, what aircraft do you fly?

charlie flyer
30th Oct 2002, 21:56
Heard the rumour myself about the possible lifting of the ban on
SEP's. It is true about them applying to have the ban lifted.
The guy who i spoke to on the phone said that they were awaiting something to do with the CAA.
I asked if he had any idea when.
From his reply it seemed to be out of their hands.
Lets hope they lift it.

Edited For a typo

niknak
31st Oct 2002, 23:15
The restriction on SEP was IMPOSED as planning restriction by the local council, NOT the CAA, because of the risk to local residents in the event of an engine failure.
Being all knowing, they decided that if a twin engined aircraft had an engine failure on departure, it would be able to carry on regardless, with no risk to anyone.

These are the same idiots who decided that it would be perfectly safe to allow SEP to make instrument approaches, but they couldn't land at the airport. :mad: :rolleyes: :mad:

Sadly the airport is now reduced to nothing, and once Finningly gets the go - ahead next March - which I'm reliably informed it will, Sheffield will close for good, with the site being developed as an expansion to the nearby "retail park", with the exiting and future businesses there, being subsidised by the South Yorkshire and UK taxpayers.

big.al
1st Nov 2002, 12:36
Niknak is absolutely right. The SEP restriction is imposed by the planning authority (council). Interestingly, single-engined helicopters are allowed, and practice approaches are currently approved in SEP (but you can't land, which makes me wonder what the legal situation would be if an SEP had an engine failure on a practice approach).

I too hope that SZD is opened up to SEP, even though I'll still fly out of Netherthorpe (keeps me current on short field landings)!

In theory it could open up a new era for Sheffield if single engine ops are allowed. The only real hope for the airport is as a business airport (ideal as it's close to the city). Scheduled services are no more, and NikNak is right that any hope of this resuming will disappear if and when Finningley goes ahead.

In theory Sheffield has a significant catchment area (probably equal to that of EMA) but the short runway and the disappearance of BAE146 (and it's derivatives) from many airlines means that options from Sheffield are limited. Finningley's potential many-thousand metre runway would mean that airlines could operate to wherever they like, from the same catchment area.

foghorn
1st Nov 2002, 15:35
Bodie - AA5B - Netherthorpe is just about do-able according to the books, but it's tight - the Tiger is not known for its short field performance.

md 600 driver
2nd Nov 2002, 08:13
if they allow sep they might not go there anyway the landing fees are not cheap there even for helicopters too

foghorn
2nd Nov 2002, 15:49
Have the ILS and NDB gone yet? (rummages in NOTAMs)