PDA

View Full Version : Control Tower

dfearns
27th Oct 2002, 17:21
Hi!
I have a BIG interest in being an ATC operator, i was wondering what the chances would be of going into a control tower, and seeing first hand how it all works.
If anybody knows anyone who could help me, could they please tell me, or if they think this type of thing is completly impossible, then tell me aswell!!!

thanks.

:)

FWA NATCA
27th Oct 2002, 20:31
dfearns,

First of all it would depend on where you are at, then it would depend on the facility policy about visitors.

In the US you must be a US citizen, and there must be prior approval from the manager. If you are a foreigner, then you have to jump through a few more hoops that can take as long as three weeks before you can get an approval for a visit.

Mike

niknak
27th Oct 2002, 21:02
Try contacting (write to) Chris Kelly, Air Traffic Services Manager at Liverpool John Lennon Airport, (which appears to be the closest airport to you).
I know that at this stage you just want to visit, and not necessarily a job, but first impressions are very important.

Start off by telling him that you want to be an AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER not OPERATOR.
It wouldn't hurt to list your achievements to date, educational qualifications/asperations and why you want to be an atco.
They're a pretty civilised bunch in ATC, and I'm sure that Chris will organise something for you if he think's you're worth it.

Liverpool train their own staff (usually ATC assistants) to become ATCO's, the majority of them being local, but please don't underestimate the competition for places, or the very hard work involved during the training.

Dan Dare
29th Oct 2002, 21:55
I have never knowingly heard a scouse ATCO or pilot. I would guess that there are rules against such things. Odd that the rules don't seem to preclude Brummies though...

spekesoftly
30th Oct 2002, 10:17
Remind me where our PPRuNe leader hails from? :rolleyes:

Dan Dare
30th Oct 2002, 11:46
OOPS. Difficult to hear regional accents on PPRuNe. I appologise unreservedly for anything posted last night (post alcohol) and would like to confirm I have nothing against scousers when they're not nicking my car or thieving from my house. Nobody would want us to all sound the same, but you have to admit that there are some accents that sound quite funny on the radio! [runs for cover]

Allbore
30th Oct 2002, 19:29
I too am interested in investigating and persuing an ATCO career.

It seems a good thing to go and visit a facility to get a bit more of an insight.

Which facilities are best? regional a/p like say gloucestershire airport or somewhere a little bigger and busier? what about en-route centers, is it possible to visit those?

Who supplies the ATC services at airports? is it a mixture of private companies like NATS. Reading the above replies it seems some airports train their own, so, who are they regulated by?

I come from the midlands (cheltenham area but now in staffordshire at Uni) so are there any facilities where a young hopeful might be more likely to be welcome?

Ok that'll do :) im sorry that these must be questions that are repeated over and over in this forum.

Any feed back whatsoever will be much appreciated

thanks

AB

tiggur
31st Oct 2002, 08:37
Hi Allbore
Darren Lewington is the man to speak to about a visit to Gloucester ATC. If you get a nice sunny day, I am sure that you will no longer assume that a small airport = quiet and a big airport = busy! Best of luck, and pass on my regards from the mad shetland expat.

Allbore
31st Oct 2002, 10:06
Thanks Tiggur,

I will get on the phone right away!

Sorry i generalised so much in my original post :rolleyes: I do know how busy it can be as some relatives used to live on the western edge :D great stuff.

If all goes well i will pass on your regards

thanks again

regards

AB

Barnaby the Bear
2nd Nov 2002, 10:03
I just wanted to say that, you shouldn't discount the smaller airfields that deal mainly in GA movements. Although at this time of year it is quieter due to the weather. They (we) can get extremely busy. We tend to have more runways available and encounter many interesting situations with novice (and more experienced pilots)
The College at Hurn, will teach you a complete mixture or traffic. But aircraft only ever join Downwind, overhead or occassionally straight in (VFR joiners). If an aircraft makes a mistake, the clocks are stopped and input told off. Pilots frequently make mistakes, whether it be lack of experience or unfamilarity of the airfield. (I know ATCO's make mistakes too).
Also you probably won't find lovely strip printers or ATSA's. So the workload is different from that of a larger airport.
If going for ATCO training, a broad mix of visits to different sized airfields will certainly be of benefit.

Good luck.

cb9002
6th Nov 2002, 22:17
Allbore

I also lived in Cheltenham until September, about half a mile from Glos Airport. I phoned up to ask about a visit one Thursday morning, and visited that afternoon! The staff are great - let me sit around watching circuits on the approach radar for an afternoon.

Plus, when you're done you can stop at the fence just east of the runway and see all the planes on finals 50 feet above you!

Something interesting - according to one of the controllers, if the cottages at either end were knocked down, the runway would be OK for 737s. I wonder if Ryanair want to move in? Cheltenham to Dublin for 50p - make for a nice weekend on the lash!