PDA

View Full Version : Wolverhampton International Spaceport - 1 million pax per annum?

Rote 8
24th Oct 2002, 16:52
Midlands based ppruners may have noticed that Central News have started to obsess on an almost daily basis about the proposed new airport for Birmingham to be built near Rugby. Last night there was a small piece about Halfpenny Green's plans for growth and I could have sworn that a figure of 1 million passengers per year was quoted!!

Did I mis hear this - I was painting the hall at the time, or did they really come out with this daftness? - Anyone see it.

1 million passengers per year are going to make an awful smell in that little khazi hut next to the tower.

Please do not interpret this as me having a pop at EGBO. I think it is perfectly reasonable airfield - but that is all it is - a nice little airfield. I can just imagine the faces of people living in Claverley and Bobbington when they watched the news last night.

28thJuly2001
24th Oct 2002, 18:06
Quick bit of maffs, that works out at 2739 passengers per day. Hmmm....gonna get a bit crowded in the International Terminal aka Cafe.

28th...

P.S. What is the landing fee now?

QNH 1013
24th Oct 2002, 18:27
28J01, last time I checked the landing fee for a Jodel at Wolverhampton Intergallactic was higher that it was for a Jodel at Birmingham EGBB. Haven't used either airfield for the last six months so things may have changed. I'll have a wild guess that neither landing fee will have gone down, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

david viewing
25th Oct 2002, 14:14
Can anyone remember which aviation feature film it is that opens with a stone mile post on which is written 'Halfpenny Green', panning up to show the airfield with (I think) Spitfires taxying about?

I was trying to convince them the other day of the error of their ways and wanted to add this historic connection to my argument.

But don't call them 'Halfpenny Green' on the radio, as a friend did, because he got a real roasting! Actually I have always found them friendly, courteous and accomodating. Pity they are not part of the 'no landing fee genuine diversion' scheme.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Oct 2002, 18:27
They'll have to turn on the lights after hours then.

G

Timothy
26th Oct 2002, 12:34
I find it impossible to say Wolverhampton Business Airport without giggling (I had to have several goes just typing it) so always call 'Halfpenny Green' for traffic as I go by. They often just ignore me.

The main problem with them calling themselves by this grandiose title is that one day someone might turn up in a Citation or a B200 and expect to receive the kind of services that such operators get at real business airports (such as Farnborough, Biggin or Coventry.)

No, WBA is a silly bit of game playing. They should either grow up and become what they advertise or go back to the charming little facility they used to be.

Now that Wolverhampton has got it's City status can't HG stop being pretentious?

tom775257
26th Oct 2002, 16:22
They are trying to improve services...
ATC most of the time.., ILS to be installed on runway 34, and Air Mercia passenger and freight charter service is now in operation from EGBO...they are receiving their first turbo-prop aircraft mid 2003 apparently....

BEagle
26th Oct 2002, 20:05
Flew from the Secret Oxonian Airbase to Cosford a few weeks ago. LARS from Berrmingoom for a while, then told the controller that we were changing to 'Wolverpenny Hampton Green Intercontinental Business Airport - aka 'Ambridge International' '. Bloke nearly wet himself.....

'Halfpenny Field' was the aerodrome in 'Angels One-Five', I believe. Saddly nothing at all to do with Ambridge International....

VIKKI
28th Oct 2002, 08:55
do you guys know why the name was changed from halfpenny green ?

i was told by one of the instructors there it is because the owner is a massive fan of west brom albion he changed the name so the initials were the same WBA

dont no if its true or not but the guy has A1BION on his car reg plate so its possible

Rote 8
28th Oct 2002, 11:58
VIKKI

He ought to be a bit of a baggies fan - I gather that he owns them!!
Hence the name, so they say.

rotorboater
28th Oct 2002, 19:29
I thought Wolverhampton was already a major International airport, well that's what the atc would have you believe!

G-SPOTs Lost
28th Oct 2002, 23:10
Been in to EGBO in a citation, cloud was broken at 800ft !! ***ckin hairy and very short.

Got charged I think £140.00 from memory could be wrong