PDA

View Full Version : Investigation into the effect of 9/11 on GA in America

Tygah
23rd Oct 2002, 07:39
I am an aviation student, attending Edith Cowan University in Perth, Western Australia, and am currently working on a research project to complete my second year of my BSc (Aviation).

When I first started my research I began investigating the impact of 9/11 on Australian GA, and came away with nothing - bar the introduction of a little more paperwork for flying schools when signing on new students. I learnt that the Australian GA community has adopted the "never in Australia" attitude, and firmly believes that they are untouchable. Given the events that recently took place in Bali, I feel that the Australian GA community should be looking at the current situation of American GA, and realising that given the circumstances, we too could easily end up in the same mess.

Due to Australian GA remaining unaffected by the events of 9/11, I have turned my investigation toward American GA, and it is here that I ask for assistance with my research.

I am interested in gathering first-hand experiences of people involved in American GA, and I am certain you can understand the difficulty I am experiencing in gathering American first-hand experiences from Australia!

If you can aid my research by completing a questionnaire please email me at [email protected]

Your help would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Petrina
:)

FlyingForFun
23rd Oct 2002, 09:07
Hi,

I'm not sure if I can help you or not... being UK-based, I'm not directly involved in US GA. However, I was flying in the US for most of December and January. I can't compare the situation when I was there to how it was before 9/11, since I never flew there before then.

But there was one event which had an impact on GA while I was there. That was when the C172 was flown into an office block in Florida. Many people I spoke to - whether involved in aviation or not - were surprised at how little damage a "little" aircraft could do - no one killed or seriously injured except the "pilot". I have no doubt that this had a positive impact on GA, with fears about repeats of 9/11 but in aircraft which are easier to get hold of pretty much subsiding. These views seemed to be echoed on the local news channels at the time, too.

I hope my small piece of opinion is useful - sorry I can't help much more. If you want to know any more, though, then either reply here, or e-mail/private message me. I'm happy to fill in your questionnaire if you think I can help, but remember I have no experience of GA in the US prior to 9/11, so I suspect I'll end up leaving most of the answers blank.

Good luck!

FFF
----------------

Kirstey
23rd Oct 2002, 11:20
www.studentpilot.com may be of more use to you?

StrateandLevel
23rd Oct 2002, 18:54
I would have thought that the greatest impact in the US is the vast number of GA organisations that simply stopped trading!

Tygah
5th Nov 2002, 02:32
I have found no shortage of information on this subject, but what I REALLY need are some first-hand experiences.

My questionnaire will only take 5 or 10 minutes to complete, and you would be doing me a huge favour.

Please email me ([email protected]) if you can help me out.

Cheers
Petrina

Flyin'Dutch'
5th Nov 2002, 06:23
Tygah

Have you tried AOPA US or any of the virtually American only sites like: http://www.supercub.org./schome.php?

Although there will be some non US folk on there the vast majority are US based jockeys.

Good luck.

FD

FWA NATCA
5th Nov 2002, 15:56
TYGAH,

For an excellant, knowledgeable, and accurate source of information I would strongly recommend that you contact the National Air Traffic Controllers Association. Our National Office in Washington D.C. can be reached via the internet at http://www.natca.org or via snail mail at 1325 Massachusetts Ave., N.W. Washington, D.C. 20005, or via telephone at (202)628-5451.

Information based on FACTS, not conjecture is important for your research on the effects of 9/11.

Mike R
NATCA FWA