PDA

View Full Version : MBEKI GET's R12m HUB AT CT International

Gunship
22nd Oct 2002, 06:19
News 24 (http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/0,1113,2-7_1081273,00.html)
Parliament - Government is to build a R12.6 million presidential arrival and departure facility at Cape Town's airport to help beef up security, Public Works Minister Stella Sigcau says.

Briefing the media in parliament, she says the tender process for the contract, to be undertaken on behalf of the SA National Defence Force (SANDF) will be fast-tracked.

Sigcau says the facility will enjoy tighter security, but denies the shortened tender process is linked to last week's attacks on the United States.

"The security of the president as is required by the department of defence is important."

The project was initiated long before the attacks on the US, she says.

Part of Pace

Suspected terrorists highjacked planes and crashed them into the World Trade Centre in New York and the Pentagon in Washington, killing thousands of people.

Security at Johannesburg International Airport and other airports across the globe has been strengthened in the wake of last week's events.

Public Works Director General Tami Sokutu said the shortening of the tender process was part of the department's Programme for Accelerated Capital Expenditure (Pace).

The project did not revolve entirely around security.

"This is a complete facility. It does not focus on security only, security is just an obvious part of whatever will be done."

There was no indication at the time if the same measures would be implemented at other South African airports.

Not "privatising"

The department of defence had so far only requested changes to Cape Town International Airport, he said.

Sigcau said the department was to appoint a facilities management company to help manage the parliamentary complex, and other prestige accommodation in Cape Town.

Independent managers would also be appointed to run the Union Buildings and Bryntirion Estate in Gauteng.

"This is an important milestone on our road to value for money in the efficient management of the state fixed property portfolio."

The department issued requests for qualifications for the projects last week.

Government was not "privatising" the functions as the initiative merely brought in advisers to assist in managing facilities, she stressed.

bacon torpedo
22nd Oct 2002, 09:13
Just think what they could spend that money on!!!!

skyvan
23rd Oct 2002, 20:21
Have they built it yet?

That news article is over a year old, and I haven't seen a new VIP centre at CPT yet.

AfricanSkies
25th Oct 2002, 15:53
"Security at Johannesburg International Airport and other airports across the globe has been strengthened "

What utter rot. I walked from the road to the apron at JNB Intl last night at 2am in under a minute, without being stopped by anyone.

The guards are all fast asleep, in the carpark, at the x-ray machines, at the gates. The cops hang around in a bunch of 20 in the international arrivals hall. There are no immigation or customs officers.

The only security being provided there is JOB SECURITY.

Skaz
25th Oct 2002, 16:14
have to agree with Africanskies, security is a joke, no immigration or customs people anywhere and if there is someone, they arent interested in anything apart from sleeping and ignoring you!!

is OUR president turning into some dictator like mugabe? why doesnt he fly on the old yet serviceable jet like a normal person and spend the money on HIS people that are starving, dying of aids, being robbed, raped and or murdered in their homes!!!!!

acts like this make us want to leave south africa and NEVER go back, because our elected government and president is definately looking after number one first!:mad: :mad:

AfricanSkies
27th Oct 2002, 11:39
Skaz..the machine is in motion! the african locust-swarm has descended! the wheels of dictatorship and single-party state are turning slowly, inexorably. All will be drawn in, squashed, their juices squeezed and spat out into the barren hungry wilderness beyond the rows of sullen, ill-disciplined soldiers...every party member defection, every biased SABC newscast, every corrupt deal and every new law passed adds to the momentum.

you are their feed! the difference between African dictators and Western leaders is that the Western leaders do not feel obliged to 'devour' their countries. To rule them, yes, but to improve them and make them shine, so as to feel all the prouder and be all the more powerful for ruling them. The African dictators perspective on ruling is that a) being the president is, as opposed to being a very tough job and b) to z) enrich myself and my mates as much as we can whilst keeping the hordes at bay via the expedient method of starving and killing them.

sometimes they even luck on a nice wealthy economy and are wily enough to know when to squeeze s-l-o-w-l-y as not to burst the bag and lose all the juice...

4HolerPoler
27th Oct 2002, 12:44
You're losing it Skies - have a dop boet.

4HP

AfricanSkies
27th Oct 2002, 14:42
aaaasih, 4HP, alas, it's the dop that does it! :p

Skaz
27th Oct 2002, 20:40
aeesh...slow down on the mampoer and witblits, bru!...........

no wait,

pass it over this way, at least we can enjoy the slide into anarchy, CHEERS !:D

27th Oct 2002, 22:21
Aeesch!!! Every day for the last many months I have seen more spending than R12 m for a building..... R680 m for the personal B737 BBJ for mr President, in Basel, Switzerland, so that 14 particularly "VIP`s" can be flown in comfort to Europe non stop. Check registration : ZS-RSA, (and do the pilots have nie-gekoopte ALTP`S?) What could he have done for that money else where, or is this already part of the R52 b, (which started as R29b), for the kamstige new defence aircraft systems, partly stolen to get into personal pockets...?
Talk is cheap, money buys the whiskey!!
Groetnis, boere!!

togabutton
28th Oct 2002, 12:44
I paxed from Dallas to London yesterday, and met up with the chaos at Heathrow. Could not get my connecting flight to Johannesburg due to canellations. Thanks to the South Africans who overheard me and my SA accent, and took me (a complete stranger) into their home even though they were already full house.

The point I am trying to make is that we may have dick-tators and co trying to run the country into the ground, but there is nothing they can do to destroy the REAL people - regte egte SA people who look out for their fellow man. I may have left the country because I have given up due to a few reasons as mentioned above, but yesterday I was PROUDLY SOUTH AFRICAN, always will be. The true SA spirit of our people and our value system is what makes SA great. When will those idiots invest in that quality by teaching it and promoting it to the majority?