PDA

View Full Version : Private Pilots Flying Forum XMAS BASH. 7th December.

BRL
19th Oct 2002, 18:47
Its time to sort out the Great Private Pilots Forum XMAS BASH Any suggestions to when?
I suggest central London and the following dates...Sat 07th Dec or Sat 21st Dec

If your brave enough and game for a laugh, put your names down here please and any suggestions. (Lets try and make it a bar we are not barred from.) :eek:
Free maps will be available to help you get home ok.. ;) :p

P.S. There will be one in January for those who can't make it to the xmas one. :)

Whirlybird
19th Oct 2002, 19:49
Why doesn't everyone just come to the Gatbash?

Speedbird252
19th Oct 2002, 19:55
Cos we are underloved and we want to go and blow our own trumpets!

Big Red L, 7th Dec is a good one for me, lets get some numbers and pick a nice big bar in the middle of London. (How many are you barred from?)

Lets get all the dates from all the people and find a happy medium.

And EVO, you still owe me this beer. You could still be driving to Shoreham every weekend you know!

Regards all,

Speedbird Party Bloke.

Piper Warrior Pilot
19th Oct 2002, 21:38
21st Dec sounds good to me. I think we should all hire a big room in a hotel and have a great time and all get plastered, lol

iainpoll
20th Oct 2002, 10:36
I'm in, either date fine with me:)

seat_of_my_pants
20th Oct 2002, 11:43
Big Man,
Either date is fine by me. I'll be bringing a gum shield....

:D

SOMP

distaff_beancounter
20th Oct 2002, 12:05
BRL
After the last "do", I suggest that you ensure that all participents are issued with a compass, transponder & hand-held transceiver.

Then when they leave the venue, in a tired & emotional state, they can ask for radar vectors home :D

If really desperate, then they can put out a MayDay on 121.50. :eek:

vintage ATCO
20th Oct 2002, 13:39
Dec 7th and 21st are two dates we are planning on having a Fly-In at Old Warden. I realise 'fly-in' is incompatible with what you have in mind. . . :D :D :D . . . but accommdation is often available in the house. Not sure about the room/party type thing, you would need to ask.

Centrally located, just off the A1, and the Kings Cross mainline just a taxi ride away.

In Altissimus
20th Oct 2002, 14:38
Judging just from the above, I don't think I can face (geddit?) all the stick I'd get if I went along...

On the other if, if I ever get to do my GFT, and have a shiny new set of gnashers :D fitted, then I might just come in disguise.

(Sorry if the above is nonsense - the jet-lag has kicked in.)

Saab Dastard
20th Oct 2002, 15:21
BRL,

I wouldn't want to be seen to be diverting interest from the GatBash;) , but I'm up for a few quiet drinks (and several noisy ones :D ), especially as I can't make the Gatbash cos I'm working 14th and 15th.

I don't really have a preference for either date.

Cheers

SD

distaff_beancounter
20th Oct 2002, 16:11
I like vintage ATCO's idea of meeting at Shuttleworth, especially 'cos its 20 minutes by car, from home!

So any one else likely to fly/drive there on Dec 7th or 21st? ;)

iainpoll
21st Oct 2002, 07:06
Actually, just remembered, can't do 21st as going to the theatre that day:eek:

Personally think we should stick to drinks at a pub/bar in or around London.

Reaper/FFF, you gonna come?

On Track
21st Oct 2002, 07:20
Hey why don't all you Poms fly down to sunny (drought-stricken) Oz for a sizzling summer Christmas bash?

That way I might actually be able to attend!

FlyingForFun
21st Oct 2002, 08:34
Put me down as a "probable" for either date.

I'll definitely be there if I can - the last one was definitely something to be repeated! But with the GatBash at around the same date (and I'll definitely be there - I'm just holding out on booking my place as long as I can to try to give IFR a heart attack :D) I may have to back out of this one if my studying is getting behind schedule.

FFF
--------------

InFinRetirement
21st Oct 2002, 08:49
FFF

Like it! But me 'ol heart is in good nick. Better not leave TOO long 'cos the numbers are building now. Over 90 with quite a few to come yet :p

Don't miss out peeps, it's gonna be a good 'un :D

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/band.gif

IFR http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/santa_2.gif

Grim Reaper 14
23rd Oct 2002, 13:24
Probably can't do the 21st, and refuse to do the 7th. Don't ever want to meet any of you drunken, violent bums ever again.

The 7th it is then ;)

iainpoll
25th Oct 2002, 08:40
Come on peeps, lets have a few more, this will be a blast!!!!:D :D

eveepee
25th Oct 2002, 10:05
Come on girls - lets show the men how to drink:D

Don D Cake
25th Oct 2002, 10:35
I'm on for joining you for a Creme de Menthe and Pineapple or two. Could do either date although the 7th is probably better as I'll be most likely panic shopping on the 21st.

Grim Reaper 14
25th Oct 2002, 11:44
In the red corner, the men, loaded and ready for action.
In the green corner, the women, allowed out of the kitchen for the day.

Lets get ready to ruuuuuumble!!!!!!!!

The challenge has been laid down. Would you all please ensure that you have the following with you on the day in question:-

- GPS, programmed with home address;
- Phone number for emergency dental treatment;
- Boxing gloves;
- A watch that doesn't work;
- A damn good excuse for being late home, in case the broken watch story fails;
- An empty 'reason' container (I lost all reason at the last one);
- Copious beer tokens;
- The desire to take the pi55 out of anyone drinking inappropriately for their gender;;)
- A Dirty Vegas t-shirt;
- At least one abhorrently filthy joke;
- Proof that you fare dodged your way there (Hi BRL)

Anything else I've forgotten?

seat_of_my_pants
25th Oct 2002, 11:55
- warm clothing for when the girlfriend kicks you out after a blazing row, that you started, but can't remember what it was about in the first place

- a pub that sells aftershocks

iainpoll
25th Oct 2002, 12:19
Nice one Grim, best laugh I've had in ages.

Hope FuFu read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

BRL
25th Oct 2002, 12:20
Righto, here are the details........Its on Sat Dec 07th and will be held at a pub called The Sir John Oldcastle It can be located opposite Farringdon underground TUBE station As usual, give us a ring if lost and i will be there from 1pm

For those of you in doubt, just turn up anyway and see what happens. A bunch of pilots out having a drink together, whatever can go wrong........;)

(P.S. eveepee is right, lets see some of our females out for a drink. )

152small
25th Oct 2002, 13:00
MMMM beer, a good idea. Hope its going to be heavy one :)

I'm pretty crap at getting my way around our hell hole of a capital, who can I contact for directions if I end up in Yardie territory :eek: ?

152small

seat_of_my_pants
25th Oct 2002, 13:03
BRL - great I'll be there.

Looking forward to it, and seeing everyone.

Regards,

SOMP

FlyingForFun
25th Oct 2002, 13:29
Of course I'm reading it, Iain. Although I can't see what the fuss is all about, I wouldn't expect anything less than that from Grim. Although I'm a little shocked that the minimum number of filthy jokes has been set to 1. And, somp, do we really need to bring the pub that sells aftershocks with? Or is it enough to just know where one is? :D

Date's marked in my diary, so you can expect to see me there unless I post to say I've changed my mind. If I have to study, I'll just have to console myself with a quiet Smirnoff Ice at my desk... (Hope I'm allowed to study after a drink! ;))

FFF
----------

In Altissimus
25th Oct 2002, 14:40
I don't think I'll be allowed out to play after last time:(

Two-and-a-half hours 'in the chair' today so far - another one later. Am now the proud possessor of a carbon fibre post!!!

iainpoll
25th Oct 2002, 14:47
Glad to see this thread finally come to life.

BlokeInAnArcher - this must be costing you a fortune - I hope you have insurance. If not it may go down in the Guiness book of records as the most expensive pi55 up of all time!

Grim Reaper 14
25th Oct 2002, 15:05
BIAA - Come on, what's the worst that could happen?!
Iain - Same old drunken bums though isn't it?

Come on you lot, get your festive nuts out and bring them along for a roasting! You won't regret it.

I should just confirm that 'regret' and 'remember' have the same meaning in this context. ;)

Grim Reaper 14
28th Oct 2002, 10:10
Could I just say that this is the first time I've posted something on a thread, just to get it back to the top.

I thought I could, thanks.

iainpoll
29th Oct 2002, 12:54
yeah, me too................:D :D

Grim Reaper 14
1st Nov 2002, 09:46
So anyway, how are you?:cool:

iainpoll
1st Nov 2002, 09:58
So, who is definately coming?

So far I seem to remember;

GrimReaper14 (if hes not barred from every pub in London)
myself (ditto)
FuFu (hopefully coming)
Seat of My Pants
Big Red 'L'
Don D Cake
BlokeInAnArcher (spouse permitting)

Any other takers? What about the ladies?

Grim Reaper 14
1st Nov 2002, 10:01
You cheeky b@stard:mad: :mad: :mad:

:D ;)

In Altissimus
1st Nov 2002, 11:30
Spouse? :rolleyes:

Hersham Boy
1st Nov 2002, 11:48
It's great that these things always seem to be within spitting distance of my office in Farringdon...

... but they'er always on a Saturday! I stick to Mon to Fri...

I'll never get in and back in one piece all the way from the depths of East Surrey ;)

Hersh

FlyingForFun
1st Nov 2002, 11:49
She who says that teeth must remain in mouth.

FFF
------------------

In Altissimus
1st Nov 2002, 11:56
HB

Perhaps we should have some nice, restrained Farringdon drinks - preferably just outside the tube (to minimise chances of anything untoward occuring :D ). Any other Farringdon types around here?

FuFu

How presumptuous;)

BRL
1st Nov 2002, 22:43
There is a Witherspoons at Farringdon if thats easier(and its cheaper).

Now, what about the girls coming to this. I see in an earlier post that they threatened to come out for a drink so where are you girlys. Can't you take the pace????? ;)

Anyone else up for it? There seem to be loads of you around the London area. How about coming even if its just to say hello.......?

(Hersh, you are proberbly the closest one to London!!!!!):p

TheKentishFledgling
2nd Nov 2002, 10:00
Put me down as a maybe.

tKF

eveepee
2nd Nov 2002, 11:34
Big Red L

Well, come on sisters, I can't do it all by myself .... :D (I couldn't tame that wild bunch all alone, and we need to make sure Ppruners are not banned from every pub in London!)

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
2nd Nov 2002, 13:01
Should be able to make the 7th. Are we still at the Doggets or is the Wetherspoons now the preferred venue ?

seat_of_my_pants
3rd Nov 2002, 09:16
witherspoons in Farringdon is great for me

(Less chance of falling into the Thames)

SOMP

BRL
3rd Nov 2002, 09:47
The Wetherspoons pub is called The Sir John Oldcastle and is located not far from Farringdon underground station. Its entirely up to you lot where we go. Either is fine by me.

HERE (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?grid2mapi?x=531489&y=181866&title=StreetMap+-+FARRINGDON+ROAD,+LONDON,EC1M&back=~&url=~&arrow=Y&nolocal=N&bimage=~&zoom=0&largeuk=N&adkey=~,GRIDCONVERT&searchType=6&value=531610,18054929-35+Farringdon+Road) is a map how to get there.

BRL
5th Nov 2002, 21:37
B.T.T.T. :)

AerBabe
7th Nov 2002, 19:58
Considering it... just to keep my good chum Eveepee company of course ;) Only problem is that the BWPA Christmas Lunch is the next day... What are the non-locals doing about overnight accommodation? Or are you planning on making it an all-nighter? :eek:

paulo
7th Nov 2002, 22:27
erm, now, we picked a rotten pub last time...

wetherspoons?...

surely there's a nice little independent boozer we can grab?

good london pubs are a bit of contradiction in terms, but there are a few

BRL
7th Nov 2002, 23:39
Agreed.
I only suggested Wetherspoons as its quite cheaper than others and its easy to stumble onto the tube right opposite later on. Over to you lot then. Any suggestions?
We have a month to sort something out...... :)

Also looks good now for you chaps wanting to meet AB. Shes up for it and needs more ladies to go to the toilet with. Come on down girls........ :p

Hersham Boy
8th Nov 2002, 09:57
I can't make it, but if you want a really good pub, there's an obvious choice in this (my) locale... The Jerusalem, Britton Street.

All the real ale you can handle. Food's good. Only trouble is it's the smallest pub I've ever been in! Arrive early to avoid disappointment.

Streetmap link (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=531607&Y=182035&A=Y&Z=1)

And check out my redesigned Music Choice on the plasma screens at the front of my office, if you walk past on Clerkenwell Road :) Keeps the peeps at the bus stop happy, anyway.

Hersh

BRL
16th Nov 2002, 22:56
Nearly time. Just a few weeks left now. Anyone any preference to where we go or do we keep it at Farringdon? :confused:

Saab Dastard
17th Nov 2002, 13:43
BRL,

Don't mind as long as there is reasonable food available and not too much cigarette smoke.

I am very happy to go from midday to midnight given the above!

Entertaining company is taken as read, of course :)

See you wherever

SD

FlyingForFun
18th Nov 2002, 09:25
I'm sure everyone will be delighted to know that I'm now a definite for this! :cool:

Having spent all of Saturday evening learning the distances and dimensions of various runway, taxiway and approach lights, only to turn the page on Sunday morning and read that I need to learn the colours of the lights, but not the distances and dimensions :mad: my studying is now at the stage where I can take a weekend or two off to get drunk, and still finish the course in time for the exams - woohoo! :)

I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, but my car club's Christmas dinner is the night before. This means that I will certainly arrive feeling slightly ill from the night before, possibly still drunk, having almost certainly spent the night sleeping on a friend's floor somewhere in north London. I'll probably be dragging an overnight bag around with me, and there'll be free drinks for anyone who reminds me to take the overnight bag with when (not if!) I leave any pub and get 50 yards down the road before remembering I've forgotten it! :D

No preference with pubs, so long as they serve good vodka and good food, and don't mind us making a little bit of noise ;)

See you there!

FFF
-------------

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
18th Nov 2002, 13:17
I can second HB's recommendation of the Jerusalem, which is a good pub, but is very small.

I can also suggest the Sekforde Arms, slight further to the North, off Clerkenwell Green, which fits all the criteria, but maybe a little harder to find.

If there are lots of "non-Londoners" coming, it might be easier to stick with the Wetherspoons... :rolleyes:

BRL
29th Nov 2002, 22:09
BTTT and its going to be at (for ease) Farringdon. Details are.....
The Sir John Oldcastle, Wetherspoons, opposite Farringdon Underground station.

If you want, we can go on somewhere else after meeting up. Wetherspoons is cheap and easy and dead simple to get to. Good for a starting point.

As always, my mobile for those who are not used to traveling around London and may get lost is. 07958 006 373.

(Red crimbo hat optional) :) See you soon.

Saab Dastard
30th Nov 2002, 12:23
BRL,

Excellent, we have a date and a place - what about a time?

SD

BRL
30th Nov 2002, 19:47
1pm
I should be there around 2pm (depending on the trains of course....)

iainpoll
4th Dec 2002, 08:03
BTTT

So who's a definate??

skua
4th Dec 2002, 09:36
Could be up for a quick one, but not before 6 p.m. Will you still be at the Wetherspoon's then (& vertical)?

FlyingForFun
4th Dec 2002, 12:45
I'm a definite - will probably arrive between 1pm and 2pm.

Skua, best to call someone as you're getting close to find out where we are. PM me if you want my mobile number - and the same goes for everyone else, too.

FFF
--------------

Saab Dastard
5th Dec 2002, 18:50
I'm a sucker for punishment ;) , so I'll be there by 2. :D

SD

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
5th Dec 2002, 21:35
Should be there between 1 and 2pm also :D

eveepee
6th Dec 2002, 08:49
I'll pop in for a quick one :D as I'm up in London finishing off the Christmas shopping. ( BRL -Connex SE permitting!).

Grim Reaper 14
6th Dec 2002, 09:40
Ditto the '1pm to 2pm' arrival time, but will have to fly the nest by 4-5pm at the latest. Numerous reasons, none of them interesting.:o

Who has control?
6th Dec 2002, 11:01
eveepee -

I'll pop in for a quick one is a bloke phrase.

If you girlies want to nick our words, you also have to learn the next one in the sequence :-

'Its my round next'

A quick what anyway?

eveepee
6th Dec 2002, 12:54
WHC - I don't know what you mean ! Mine's a pint, by the way:D

BRL
6th Dec 2002, 21:54
Eveepee ( BRL -Connex SE permitting!).
:eek: :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: Don't even mention my name in the same sentence as that lot.!!!!!!

Complete this tie-breaker type thing......

Hi, my name is The Grim Reaper14 and i will be there at 2pm but have to go at 4pm because..................?

Answers in no more than 100 words please below... :D :p

AerBabe
6th Dec 2002, 21:58
I can't even afford a glass of water, let alone a train fare... so I'll be sitting this one out...again :(

Waaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

See some of you at Gatwick (which, thankfully, is already paid for) :)

iainpoll
6th Dec 2002, 22:42
Hi my name is Grim Reaper 14 and I will be arriving at 2 and leaving at 4 because................I'm a big poofy lightweight who cant handle his beer ! :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

eveepee
8th Dec 2002, 09:42
BRL - Thanks for organising another hum-dinger which at least remained in one pub....now we know who the real troublemakers were at the last Bash :D

Finally arrived home after navigating the complexities of Thameslink, ( GR : Not all trains find their way to London Bridge, but I suppose you knew that anyway!). Its funny but the Elephant and Castle underground has a marvellous sobering effect.....

Great to meet you all - Small world Singaporegirl, isn't it.:)

I do have one confession though.....I "found" £8.45 in my pocket, the change from a round, which I'll give to BRL for the next Bash...not that I'd had too much to drink you understand :D

iainpoll
8th Dec 2002, 11:48
I dont feel very well! What happened? Who were you people??

A great bash, where try as we might we didn't get thrown out!

Attended by;

Myself
Grim Reaper14
Flying for FuFu
Big Red L
Saab Dastard
RTFM
Eveepee
Singaporegirl

I think that was it, apologies if I missed anyone!

Will come back with more when my head stops spinning!

Iain

TheKentishFledgling
8th Dec 2002, 13:08
Sounds like it was good :)

I nearly got to attend yesterday's bash, but a family commitment kept me away :(

Next one though, hopefully.

tKF

BRL
8th Dec 2002, 13:11
Errrrrrr......why do i have these big posters next to me....... :D

Great bash, great people not a bad pub a bit rowdy later on but we settled back down again.!!

I have some pictures courtesy of Grim reapers mobile phone, its got a digital camera in it and was used quite a lot. Can't find the picture of GR14 with a condom up his nose and coming out of his mouth, must have deleted that one by mistake.....:eek:

As i say a great time was had in the pub, I am sure SKUA turned up briefly later on and disapeared quite quickly too, i turned around to say hi and he had gone.!! We weren't that bad surely...... (Apologise to Dubs and £6 for the slurry phone calls)

After the pub myself, FFF, Saab Dastard and Ian Poll went off for a curry and a beer.(Ian needed cheering up after his rugby team got a hiding against some part-timers from Barking....) Nice place it was too. I can't remember how the bill got sorted out at the end, i know what was left of the kitty got used up but i am sure it wasn't enough so if i owe somebody a few quid let me know.

A short walk (Uneventfull) to the tube then train home. woke up on the couch at home at 4:30 still with coat on sweating...!!

A good time was had. There were some discussions as for the next one, might be around valentines day, the weekend before or something like that. Can't think of much more to write, head is pretty much still achy.

Until next time.... Adios...

FlyingForFun
8th Dec 2002, 16:20
Had a great time - still amazed that we didn't get thrown out of the pub, though, I have to admit. And I've never seen anyone leave a pub with so much of the pub's furnishings blatantly under his arm! :D

As always, good to meet up with old friends again, and to meet a few new faces. Hope we didn't embarass the bash virgins too much ;)

FFF
-------------

seat_of_my_pants
8th Dec 2002, 17:45
Hello Chaps
My apologies for not attending as SOMP was a sick puppy this weekend.

Hope to see you guys at the next one or the Gatbash

SOMP

Saab Dastard
8th Dec 2002, 21:25
BRL,

Thanks for organising the fun and frolics.

I obviously didn't drink enough 'cos I DISTINCTLY remember you saying that you would organise the next fly-in at Duxford for April 2003.:D

I might even have my licence by then :rolleyes:

Good to see you guys and gals - here's looking forward to the next one

SD

Grim Reaper 14
9th Dec 2002, 09:47
I do hope that I scotched all those 'going home cos I'm a poof' rumours..... Granted I didn't stay for a curry, but then I never did like to confuse drinking and eating.

Must've had a great time cos the 5 or 6 hours I was there shot by, save a few moments...well, one.

BRL - The memory of you sitting there with a three inch bogey welded to your little finger, is not one that I will forget in a hurry.

Grim Reaper 14 will not be going to the 'Valentines' bash because-

a) His girlfriend will have left him by then if he keeps getting home b0ll0cksed;
b) He can't bear the thought of causing Iain Poll's team to lose to St.Dunstans reserve team (ladies) again;
c) BRL won't give him an assurance that he'll blow his nose;
d) Someone else will have a 'photo-phone' by then and he'll have no control over which images get mailed to 'Big Red'.

Glad to see that two (three with Fu-Fu) girls managed to turn up this time. I can't believe that one of them took the whip home though :eek: :eek: ;) Typical....

singaporegirl
9th Dec 2002, 10:57
Well...just woken up and am now able to focus enough to write...:D

Good to meet you all and experience your party tricks :D :eek: :D . Difficult to know how to respond to singaporeboy's question 'So what were they like then?' (Answer: Clean-living, totally professional, and we talked about met and nav all afternoon...or maybe that was on the tube home! :confused: )

Eveepee - yes, it is a small world indeed. I shall pass on your regards to Ben when I next see him.

FlyingForFun
9th Dec 2002, 15:19
Singapore,

You've only just woken up? On Monday? What happened to Sunday??? :eek:

FFF
---------------

iainpoll
9th Dec 2002, 16:39
FuFu

Thanks for setting my mobile phone alarm for 4:15 sunday morning - don't argue I know it was you!!:mad: :mad: :mad: ;)

As has been reported here I was gutted that my Rugger team (Chelmsford) lost 7 3 in an important league match, I dont know, they hust have fallen apart without the cornerstone! Have a look at chelmsfordrugby.com for a laugh.

Great bash, no idea how we paid for the curry - thanks to everyone who put into the whip if we did it that way..

Big Red / Grim, how about putting up a few of the piccies??

Roll on the next one!!

BRL
9th Dec 2002, 17:02
I need web-space to upload the pictures. MSN offer some but that doesn't work on here. I am looking into it.

That FuFu, hes a cad isn't he setting your phone like that... :D :D :D

singaporegirl
10th Dec 2002, 10:10
FFF,

I don't know! :eek: I did go on to another party afterwards (and I'd been to one the night before). I guess they all finally took their toll...:confused: