PDA

View Full Version : AMAZING...........FIRst solo!!

Speedbird744
19th Oct 2002, 14:27
I sat at the holding point as my instructer jumped out the warrior, I couldn't quite believe what was about to happen...The climb in that airplane on your solo flying is so fast. I went round one circuit to do my best ever landing, just saying thanks to all the pPRunErs here for helping out, VeRY hoT site!
A short question: Are there any other "first solo" type of exercises I should dread or look forward to throughout my PPL and ATPL?

knobbygb
19th Oct 2002, 15:28
Well done 744. I remember it well.

Are there any other "first solo" type of exercises I should dread or look forward to

Other landmarks:

Your first time solo away from the airfield
First solo landaway
Qualifying cross country

ALL to be looked forward to, of course. Of the four, including first solo, I enjoyed the first land-away best.

AerBabe
19th Oct 2002, 15:43
And then, post-PPL, there's first solos in new types. Depending on the type that can be fun!

Well done :)

PPPPP
19th Oct 2002, 16:07
Congratulations! It really is an amazing feeling, isn't it?? That first entry in the "in command" column looks so good!
Now the hard work begins, circuit bashing in solo consolidation:)

sennadog
19th Oct 2002, 17:02
Feels great doesn't it? Nice one and enjoy the rest of your training.:D

jonathang
19th Oct 2002, 20:04
WELL DONE , great feeling isnt it.

and you still have cross country qualifier to look forward too
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Fuji Abound
19th Oct 2002, 20:14
Savour this moment, there is none other like it. Your first cross country, your GFT, or whatever it is called now, your first aeros are all satisfying landmarks, but you will always remember your first solo. Write it up in your log book in red, underline it, and feel very proud. Well done!

slim_slag
19th Oct 2002, 20:26
First aero solo, I felt more apprehensive about that than my first solo in spam can. Same rule applies, the instructor trusts you, so just get on with it and enjoy the experience.

HelenD
19th Oct 2002, 21:23
Congratulations its an experience you will never forget

charlie-india-mike
20th Oct 2002, 06:02
Well done Speedbird744.

I was supposed to do my first solo land away yesterday but due to delays I didn't have time (not done the night flying bit yet)

Friday saw the completion of my practice QXC so as soon as we have a clear day, it's off to get that out of the way so my first solo land away may be my QXC.

:) :) :)

Select Zone Five
20th Oct 2002, 09:16
Nice one Speedbird744! :D

My most satisfying solo was the QXC, multiple navs, different approach procedures/landings and of course being away from home base for a good chunk of the day!

Good luck with the rest of it! It's great, your gonna love it! :D

seat_of_my_pants
20th Oct 2002, 11:45
Nice One geezer!!

SOMP

G SXTY
21st Oct 2002, 13:28
Well done Speedbird!!

There's plenty of other highs on the way to your PPL, but IMHO nothing beats the buzz of 1st solo.

Check out the look of awe on (non-flying) people's faces when they ask; "So, can you fly one of those on your own?" and you just casually say; "Yeah, it's no big deal . . .":)

MLS-12D
21st Oct 2002, 17:14
Congratulations!

I'm not instrument rated, but they tell me that one's first approach to minimums is another fondly-remembered flying experience.

MLS-12D

P.S. By all means underline your logbook entry, or use capitals or some other emphasis, but don't use red ink: save that colour for recording your night-flying!:)

flying snapper
22nd Oct 2002, 10:49
Hearty Congratulations!!

I remember my own like it was last month........er it was last month!

Planning my Nav test and QXC next, hopefully in the next fortnight.

You stop grinning after about 6 or 7 weeks!

Speedbird744
22nd Oct 2002, 11:07
So what can I expect to do in my next flying lesson? Is it possible to be on a 2nd solo immediately afterwards?
Would this next solo be one where I start the engine by myself from the apron itself rather than instructer jumpING OUT halfway across the taxiway?!

Don D Cake
22nd Oct 2002, 11:29
if it's okay, you'll probably do a couple of dual check circuits followed by a few solo circuits. If not (ie crosswind) you may do some more dual stuff.

After a few rounds of solo circuit bashing, you'll be told to leave the circuit, fly to a local landmark and find your way back, that's what I'm doing this Sat weather permitting (though the forecast looks awful :( ).

On my first solo, I had to start the engine. Despite using the checklist I omitted to switch the alternator on. Luckily I only did one quick circuit and the battery was okay :o