PDA

View Full Version : Air NZ pre-safety briefing

lost soul
18th Oct 2002, 10:04
I recently travelled on Air NZ within NZ and was impressed by the Purser's little speech before the safety demo! What it did was to ensure that everyone watched the demo by some clever psycology that made the habitual "newspaper reader" "know-it-all" look stupid. I have tried to remeber the wording so I could include it in my "welcome aboard". If anyone reading this has heard a similarly effective speech then tell me! I regularly passenger on various airlines (I am a UK based 737 Captain) and note the number of passengers who totally ignore the demo AND who if asked I'm sure would have no idea what to do in an emergency!

Hobo
18th Oct 2002, 10:25
I've flown on NZ a lot, and I've always found their cabin service excellent, although their "new" economy seats they've installed in the last 3 years or so are not nearly as comfortable as the old ones! I seem to remember the safety briefing begins with:

"Ladies and Gentlemen HAVE YOU SEEN THIS " ( every body looks up, even the cool dudes reading the paper, and sees the cabin crew holding up the safety card) "It could save you in an emergency" everybody continues attending throughout the briefing.

They also have only one cabin crew member making the well thought out announcements throughout the flight. This all sounds very proffessional unlike a large UK airline all of whose cabin crew seem to have a go on the PA at every opportunity, usually not thinking about what they are about to say umming and erring their way through and generally switching off the pax.

Great lateral thinking stuff from NZ

nojacketsrequired
18th Oct 2002, 23:34
I find the following couple of lines make their ears prick up.....

''cabin crew are on board for many reasons but I must now shock you all now by telling you the main reason is safety''.

''your newspapers,Hello magazines and copies of Harry Potter
are all very interesting but they all have one thing in common.....
they won't get you off the aircraft so please exchange them for your safety card and improve your chance of reading them tomorrow''!!

Also on all flights if it's a video turn all cabin lighting OFF:D :D

And failing all this let the punters know that at the end of the briefing the crew will come through and ask them safety questions

NJR.

Save fuel.Shut the door half way through boarding and go!!!:D

www.worldairlinephotography.co.uk