PDA

View Full Version : ExAnsett F/As Mourn Bali Loss

Gnadenburg
17th Oct 2002, 12:43
Very sad to see some of my former colleagues are involved in the tragedy in Bali.

Two former Ansett F/As on the news in Denpasar mourning the loss of close relativies.

One lost his mother and the darling EM, am very sad and thinking of you in your grief.

notsovapid
19th Oct 2002, 07:43
and a few near-misses for some of them over there having a holiday as well............ my sympathies in this disturbing era..........

Based in Doha
27th Oct 2002, 09:53
17 October 2002
Dear friends.
On Sat 12 Oct, just 10 days before my mothers 56th birthday, a massive bomb exploded outside Sari Club, a popular nightclub in Kuta, on the island of Bali, in Indonesia.
I can tell you that 10 mins before the bomb went off, my mum was with 2 friends - a guy from Nigeria called Feliz and a lady from Italy. They were having a chat at a restaurant. My mum and the Italian lady left the restaurant and told Feliz they were going to the Sari Club.
Feliz stayed at the restaurant to finish his drink and said he would join my mum and her friend soon.
On arival at Sari Club, the Italian lady went to the toilet.
At this exact time, the bomb went off. The Italian lady miraculously survived, and witnessed horrible carnage, death and devestation. She never saw my mother again.The roof of the restaurant where Feliz was collapsed, but no one was badly hurt.
The following day, Sunday, this Italian lady went to my mothers hotel to see if she could find my mum, and told the hotel staff what had happened.
I have yet to make contact with this Italian lady as understandably she has left Bali, but i have her details and sent her an email.
On arrival in Bali, I was met by a staff member from my mothers hotel and Oscar Cebergs girlfriend, Emma meilak. At the hotel, Feliz came to find me.
Emma and Feliz came with me to the main hospital where all the bodies are located. Both Emma and Feliz insisted in accompanying me to the morgue area.The voluteers working at the hospital refused to let us into the morgue citing new rules as directed from the Australian and Indonesian government. The rules require that bodies be indentified first by other scientific means rather than visuals from distressed relatives.
My mother is missing. All the survivors have been identified and sent to Australia for medical treatment. No foreign tourists are left hospitalised here in Bali. The officials have told me that there is not much hope that my mum survived. We have started the process of DNA testing.
I was asked to provide such things as my mothers hairbrush, toothbrush, lipstick, and a glass or bottle she might have drunk from. All those things were readily available in her hotel room. I am staying in her room.
Last night, I held a private goodbye to my mother at her favourite place, Kuta Beach. We lit candles and threw flowers into the sea. Another local friend of my mother joined us. Feliz read from the bible for about 3 hours. We stayed on the beach till the candles went out.
Early today the Australian forensic police took mouth swabs from direct relatives. My mothers dental records were faxed to the Australian consulate.
Later on, I attended the Memorial service that the Australian government organised. There was a special large cross built, and i placed my mothers picture at the base of this cross, and lit a candle for her. Many others did the same.
I was hugged my our Prime Minister Mr John Howard and other officials. After the memorial service, a private gathering was held at the house of the Australian consulate general, where we all exchanged stories about our loved ones. The Prime Minister was truly remarkable,hugging us all and listening to us. I personally recounted my mothers last few hours with him and thanked him for coming to Bali.
The last few days have been an emotional roller coster ride for me. I have cried so much and felt completely numb. But I'm ok.
I want to thank Mr Al Baker and Mr Gates from Qatar Airways, for their generosity, support, encouragement and sympathy.
Also thanks to my friends in Qatar who comforted me, offered their condolenses, came to the airport, called me and sent sms messages. I will never forget you all.
My mother loved Bali. This was her 10th visit. She loved to dance at Sari Club.
I want to remember my mother as having a very happy time, being with her friends, and doing the things she loved.
I feel her presence, its like she is behind me, watching me, and I can hear her calling my name.

Tomorrow i will finalise things here in Bali, and maybe a day or two later, go to my family back in Australia. They need me right now as much as i need them.
I'm not sure how long it will take to sort out my mums affairs, but rest assured i will return to Qatar Airways. My mother was so proud of me, telling all her friends that her son was a flight attendant with Qatar Airways.
As for getting confimation of my mothers body, it will take time, we have all been prepared for the possibility that some bodies that were so close to the bomb site, may never be found. This deeply saddens me but i am strong and realise that in this world, evil things happen. As for who did this, I forgive them. Nothing can change the past. I just wish for peace and im sure my mother is dancing with angles in heaven, always watching over me.

Michael Baldacchino

22 October 2002
Dear friends.
Thank you to all who sent messages of support.
I was unable to identify my mother is Bali. I did learn that she was at Sari Club, sitting at the front bar, near the entrance when the bomb went off. We are all waiting to see if they can find any signs of my mother to identify her.I might cremate my mum in Bali and scatter her ashes at Kuta Beach, if her remains are found. She loved laying in the sun on that beach.
Now I'm home in Melbourne. I will clean her house and sort
out her affairs. I'm not sure how long this will take me.
I am having a memorial service for my mum, at a church where I grew up, on Fri 1 Nov.
I'm sad and I miss my mum.
I don't feel like talking much now.

Mike