PDA

View Full Version : 10 Top Fighter Pilots In The Sa Airforce

Gunship
17th Oct 2002, 08:51
The NEWS24 Link (http://www.news24.co.za/News24/South_Africa/0,1113,2-7_1272514,00.html )
10 top fighter pilots in SAAF

Oct 16 2002 07:26:37:937PM

The Air Force has only 10 operational fighter pilots to fly its frontline Cheetah aircraft, MPs have heard. Deputy defence minister Nozizwe Madlala-Routledge says the SAAF's budget allocation is "not sufficient to provide training for the full operational capability spectrum that is required".

Cape Town - The South African Air Force has 10 operational fighter pilots to fly its frontline Cheetah aircraft, MPs heard on Wednesday.

Speaking in the National Assembly, Deputy Defence Minister Nozizwe Madlala-Routledge said the SAAF's budget allocation was "not sufficient to provide training for the full operational capability spectrum that is required".

She was replying to a question from the Freedom Front's Petrus Groenewald, who asked her whether she thought 10 fighter pilots were sufficient to ward off any threats to South Africa from the air.

"With all due respect, we can't even defend two or three large cities with that," he said.

Madlala-Routledge then confirmed the SAAF had "ten operational pilots on Cheetah aircraft, and one under training".

She said five pilots were qualified on Impala jets, with a further 13 in various stages of training.

"It must be noted that the Impala does not have any operational role, and is used purely for training," she said.

In addition to the listed pilots, there were two reserve pilots, employed on an ad hoc basis "to enhance the limited level of expertise".

The lack of funding had also affected the availability of certain operational weapons, mission support equipment and spares.

"We looked at our budget and how to survive on that, and put in a system to maintain core capabilities, but indeed we are constrained by the budget."

A number of pilots who had left the airforce were available as members of the reserve force.

Gunship
18th Oct 2002, 10:04
In addition to the listed pilots, there were two reserve pilots, employed on an ad hoc basis "to enhance the limited level of expertise".

Not so .... anymore says the informer ...

B Sousa
18th Oct 2002, 10:34
As the News mentioned last week (amongst all the COP killings) was that a certain Capt "Midnight" is now in Sweden on duty to assist with the selection of the new SAAF fighter . So things may be getting better.....ha ha
I saw it at the Air Defense show at Waterkloof and it was impressive. Whats with all the defense spending in SA, who is there to defend against?? Submarines, etc.
But again since Prez Imbecki is sending his troops to Burundi and other fine spots I guess it may be necessary.. Burundi ever a threat to SA by the way?? Maybe he should teach the troops how to swim or fight fires, its cheaper than a jet fighter. Some real sad news behind that comment. I seriously think the country would be better off looking at things within its borders that meandering all over Africa just so Thabo has a place to visit. Something similar to a National Guard where they can be utilized for extreme situations within the border. Again whos paying the bills??
Dont forget the SADF and the SANDF are not the same...
Fire Away

theanalyst
18th Oct 2002, 12:33
How many aircraft have been ordered again??

I'm sure somebody's calculator has gone on the blink. Perhaps we can donate an abacus.

steamchicken
21st Oct 2002, 12:58
Can someone enlighten me as to what the hell a Cheetah is?

theanalyst
21st Oct 2002, 13:52
The Cheetah is an upgrade of the old Mirage III, similar to the Israeli Kfir.

Gunship
21st Oct 2002, 19:42
THE UNOFFICIAL SA AIRFORCE WEB SITE (www.saairforce.co.za)

Steamchicken, on the front page of the web site you will see a small pic of the Cheetah. Also look under "the modern Airforce" and Aircraft ... the Cheetah is listed under ATLAS (the South African aircraft manufacturing company now falling under DENEL)

Hope it will give you more insight.

Brgds,

Paddle Steamer
22nd Oct 2002, 05:54
Very sad state of affairs. The Hawks are on their way and will be showing their "faces"soon. In my opinion , that is all the aircraft that we would need to be operational again but the "flammies " cannot stand to not be supersonic and so we end up with capabilities that the budget cannot carry and that we will never need.
Considering our wanderings and commitments to Africa, transport and helo's are what we should be concentrating on.

But the Grippen is such a "pretty "aircraft!!!!

:D

The Claw
22nd Oct 2002, 07:05
For more gen on the Cheetah you can also go to www.ipmssa.za.org . It is basically a Kfir built to meet SA requirements.

steamchicken
24th Oct 2002, 15:49
Thanks

Gainesy
25th Oct 2002, 11:49
Confirm this means only ten Cheetah flammies? What about the F.1s are'nt they still in service?

AfricanSkies
27th Oct 2002, 12:33
"But again since Prez Imbecki is sending his troops to Burundi and other fine spots I guess it may be necessary.. Burundi ever a threat to SA by the way?? Maybe he should teach the troops how to swim or fight fires, its cheaper than a jet fighter."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

he should teach 'em to read!